in endless landfill sites.

But to us it was golden,
to us, to me, it was magic.
I long for the day when
anything can bring me that
magic back, i want it back.

20/02/08

m + w.
Hey I liked this. It's an idea that's sort of overused but there were flashes of real intelligence in your writing that appealed to me. Mainly just in your phrasing. "warm hearty grandparent" and "could ill afford hefty prices for her son's and daughter's shoe collection" were two of these. At first I didn't like "causing my feet to drag" but I came to realize that that line causes the stanza to drag, which can be cool I suppose, I still don't love it but whatever just wanted to point that out. The last three lines were kind of just like "aww, was that really necessary?" but I mean maybe I'm just in a mood right now where I don't really feel like making any definitive statements about anything so summing up your purpose in writing at the end just didn't sit well with me. I dunno. I guess it's probably my problem, but I don't think you need to spell it out so clearly. It's kind of obvious I mean who would look back on halcyon days and say "that sh•t f•cking sucked!" you know. It's pretty much already understood. Anyway I don't regret that I read this so yeah nice job.
I really like how this song calls back childhood and how innocent it can seem in retrospect. It's a great piece. Is this meant to be put to music?
Signature
Stanza 5 I thought was a little out of place within the flow of the piece. The feeling throughout was how happy you were back then, careless and worry-free, not about how poor your family was, cause a lot of times kids rarely don't realize such things until a much older age, cause that is all they are acustom to. Other than that, I thought this had a really nice, refreshing feel to it, and had the word 'magic' in the last stanza which i though was pretty cool cause that's kind of a symbol for our obliviousness at those ages. Nicely done.

If you'd like:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788355
Quote by streetcarp19
Stanza 5 I thought was a little out of place within the flow of the piece. The feeling throughout was how happy you were back then, careless and worry-free, not about how poor your family was, cause a lot of times kids rarely don't realize such things until a much older age, cause that is all they are acustom to. Other than that, I thought this had a really nice, refreshing feel to it, and had the word 'magic' in the last stanza which i though was pretty cool cause that's kind of a symbol for our obliviousness at those ages. Nicely done.

If you'd like:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788355

This piece is looking back retrospectively and as such i add in components which i may have realised at a later date, that said i was quite aware as a child, it doesn't take too much too figure out times are tough when you have five siblings and your father is working three jobs. I wanted to add that particular part in to keep the piece grounded, it wasn't about being away in the clouds but sometimes wanting to go back to simpler times even if there are sacrifices to be made.

I appreciate your input. I'll take a look at yours sometime soon.