I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times before...but I guess I'll ask it now.

My next guitar is probably going to be an ESP-LTD guitar, because I went to try one out on a Roland Cube 60, the exact same SS amp I have back home, (An LTD Viper Deluxe, to be exact on the guitar) and it sounded amazing. The active pickups on it weren't fuzzy at all, at least that I could tell, as the guy helping me with amp settings turned it up pretty loud on the "metal" distortion setting.

But, I've noticed the vast majority of UGers have said solid state amps + A guitar with active pickups = not good. Why is this? Why are solid state amps not good for these pickups?
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by TechnicolorType
Active pickups period = yuck

dude i love my EMGs they have a friggin sweet bass-y tone
Solid state distortion is just not as good as valve overdrive within the same price range. Active pickups produce more gain, so on a SS amp, it just means more bad distortion.
Quote by blue_strat
Solid state distortion is just not as good as valve overdrive within the same price range. Active pickups produce more gain, so on a SS amp, it just means more bad distortion.

It didn't sound bad to me, and I've used it on a ValveKing half stack with it sounding nearly the same. Maybe I lucked out??? (btw this guitar was fitted with two EMG 81s in case I didn't mention that.)

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
High enough output pick-ups will make an amps preamp distort, if it's tubes it will sound nice, if it's transistors it will sound funny and harsh.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Yeah, it's like putting a overdrive in front of a SS. It's going to make it sound muddier the more gain you add.
Quote by -Collapse-
Yeah, it's like putting a overdrive in front of a SS. It's going to make it sound muddier the more gain you add.

I see...I usually don't turn the gain up more than 5 anyway though...that might explain it.

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
To provide a real world example.
My guitar screams through my solid state. (Passive Stock BCR pick-ups[But it was a decently priced guitar, so they actually sound good)
My friend's EMG's scream through his Ada MP-1 Tube pre-amp.
I plugged my guitar into his setup, and it sounded muddier than his guitar.
He plugged his guitar into my set-up, and his guitar sounded muddier than my guitar.

Of course, his emgs + tubes scream harder than my Passive + SS; but when we mixed and matched we were amazed at how much worse the EMGs sounded compared to Passive BCR pick-ups through SS amps.
The only good solid state amps were late 80's/early 90's Randalls.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Less output means better overdrive I think
I don't even shred
Recommended threads
esp vs ltd
esp1988
Last post:
by xxgenocide98xx