uhm
the only thing that comes to mind is "blue" by yngwie malmsteen
its not exactly blues though
but it trys
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Quote by COBHC6
uhm
the only thing that comes to mind is "blue" by yngwie malmsteen
its not exactly blues though
but it trys

Eww are you refering to that song Yngwie calls 'blues' that was a disgrace. Good playing, bad feeling. Definetly not blues.
SRV did a lot of string rakes. A lot of other players do them as well. I do a **** load of string rakes when I improvise.
I think the most you can find or do in a blues is just one sweep up or maybe one down and thats it. I believe that a constant sweeping have 0 blues feeling
if you youtube john mayers performance of his song city love at the 04 crossroads festival there is a cool guitar intro he does before the song and it uses sweeps, but technically its "blues rock" and not official "blues" so to speak
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Eww are you refering to that song Yngwie calls 'blues' that was a disgrace. Good playing, bad feeling. Definetly not blues.

He doesn't call it "blues", he said it sounds "bluesy", and it does.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by HunterRiggs10

I pity people who say stuff like this.

oh well...
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

oh well...

me too... as if there is a certain standard for "feeling" and that the song should be based on that
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by HunterRiggs10

Blues is about the notes coming from your heart to the fretboard. Maybe that's the music from his heart. And like C.C. said, there is no standard for feeling
Quote by Archeo Avis
He doesn't call it "blues", he said it sounds "bluesy", and it does.

It is actually hilarious though, I saw the video where he introduced it. "It's very bluesy" I don't know what I was expecting but..., lol it was awesome.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
It is actually hilarious though, I saw the video where he introduced it. "It's very bluesy" I don't know what I was expecting but..., lol it was awesome.

I love that song. It's easily some of his best improvisation.
People seem to think that a song has to make you fall to your knees and weep to have feeling. Ignoring the fact that "feel" is not an inherent property of music (which is nothing more than vibration), Yngwie loves playing, and it shows in his music. That's really all I can expect from a guitarist (besides all of the other things I expect from them, like some semblance of competence with the instrument)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by sum_ugly_man
Blues is about the notes coming from your heart to the fretboard. Maybe that's the music from his heart.

Yngwie Malmsteen has a heart???
Quote by Archeo Avis
I love that song. It's easily some of his best improvisation.
People seem to think that a song has to make you fall to your knees and weep to have feeling. Ignoring the fact that "feel" is not an inherent property of music (which is nothing more than vibration), Yngwie loves playing, and it shows in his music. That's really all I can expect from a guitarist (besides all of the other things I expect from them, like some semblance of competence with the instrument)

I'm not making any claims about the nature of music and I can say with certainty that anyone who makes a living out of music loves music, there is no other way.

It still made me giggle, just a tad, though.
You may find a single sweep licks in SRV and Hendrix. Though no continuous sweeping.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Lemoninfluence

oh well...

ynwie is a great guitarist, but i think hes not a good blues player. but im not refering to "feeling". i just think hes not a good blues player.

i love his tone, though

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by gopherthegreat
ynwie is a great guitarist, but i think hes not a good blues player. but im not refering to "feeling". i just think hes not a good blues player.

that's fair enough. You don't like his attempt at blues playing. There's nothing wrong with that.

Considering that it's nearly the opposite end of the musical spectrum from what he normally plays, it's understandable that fans of the genre won't like it. However what I can't stand is when people allude to a players lack or quality of emotion.

For one thing, the emotion that you perceive when listening to the music is 100% yours. So if anything, when someone says 'it has no emotion' what they're really doing is admitting that they are unable to perceive an emotion from that music. SO the problem is with them, not the player.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I've never heard full blown sweeping in blues, but as mentioned, fast rakes are really common in solos and such. Texas Flood - SRV has several.
Quote by SG thrasher
Bums to the ground when rilakam's around.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
that's fair enough. You don't like his attempt at blues playing. There's nothing wrong with that.

Considering that it's nearly the opposite end of the musical spectrum from what he normally plays, it's understandable that fans of the genre won't like it. However what I can't stand is when people allude to a players lack or quality of emotion.

For one thing, the emotion that you perceive when listening to the music is 100% yours. So if anything, when someone says 'it has no emotion' what they're really doing is admitting that they are unable to perceive an emotion from that music. SO the problem is with them, not the player.

I haven't seen it put any better.

Here's a golfclap smiley for your efforts:

wait for it...

wait for it...

there it is
Quote by HunterRiggs10

You of course, know what blues is and could even give Malmsteen a lesson or two. Though his lack of feeling might get in the way.

Quote by Lemoninfluence

Yeah, let me put it more bluntly: anyone who says stuff like "This music sucks because it doesn't have emotion" is an idiot. For the reason specified above.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Feb 20, 2008,
On a note completely unrelated to the "Blues" issue...

Did no one else think that sounded totally gash? lol
Quote by iimjpii
Yngwie Malmsteen has a heart???

No, he has a donut strapped to his chest.
Quote by Eric 666
No, he has a donut strapped to his chest.

He does have a heart, its a donut shaped one