Ok, so I'm looking at this cab (it would be my first actual amp, I've only ever had two solid state like 10-15w practice amps) well, I'm really looking for a Tube amp. Not anything epic, but something that is a good quality amp at a fair price. Now, I am interested in this cab and the head, but everywhere I look I don't find anything about it being a Tube, or a Solid state. Can someone please explain to me:

1. What is the signigance of a head, couldn't they just make it a combo?

and

2. Is this specific model with the Crate FlexWave Series FW120H 120W Guitar Amp Head a Tube or solid state?

If I'm not being clear enough with the description follow the link and this is the amp, also, is this a good price or is it a ripoff???

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-FlexWave-Series-FW120H-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head-104322946-i1175924.gc

Thanx in advance guys!!!

Oh, also, if this is a bad deal (please state why, I only started playing about 6 months ago and I'm pretty much just starting to really focus on electric, so I'm somewhat in the dark when it comes to lingo and WHY something is good/bad) but if it's bad, are there any other half stacks/heads you would suggest, and why. Please keep the suggestions below 800-900 dollars, I really don't want to spend 4 digits on my first real amp.
The flexwave is not tube, heads can hook up to a full stack to be louder.
Most people would say its bad deal cause its solid state, I love my Crate combo, but thats only cause I use my Zoom G9.2tt for distortion.
Quote by edusty2010
I actually feel dumb for not knowing this, but what brand is JMC?

Also, what are good tube amps for the aforementioned amount, I really DON'T want another solid state.

JCM = Marshall.

High gain : Carvin V3, Randall RG50TC, Peavey Valveking
mid gain: Laney VC/LC 15-30, Peavey Classic 30, Crate Palomino V32, Traynor YCV40, Peavey Windsor Studio
Low gain: Fender Blues Junior
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by edusty2010
Thanks lol, like I said I feel really dumb cause some of these are probably major n00b-oriented questions, so really thanx for not exploding on me and just calling me an idiot and leaving it at that lol.

Will check out the amps on that list, thanx very much H4T3BR33D3R

No, I'm just in shock and awe is all. That was the single n00best thing I've read today!

I'm just pulling your chain. My memory isn't too great either.

You're welcome.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^^^I lol'd

But yeah, checked them out, think I'm gonna try out a Marshall (maybe not the JCM, but a Marshall, cause I don't NEED a tube, seeing as I'm really using it to play jazz [school jazz band] but I want something that if I decide to join a band [really want to play lead] I can carry it over and not have to buy ANOTHER amp) and the Peavy looks nice, then possibly the crate.

Thanxs for all the help! Oh and the not killing me was nice too lol
Quote by edusty2010
^^^I lol'd

But yeah, checked them out, think I'm gonna try out a Marshall (maybe not the JCM, but a Marshall, cause I don't NEED a tube, seeing as I'm really using it to play jazz [school jazz band] but I want something that if I decide to join a band [really want to play lead] I can carry it over and not have to buy ANOTHER amp) and the Peavy looks nice, then possibly the crate.

Thanxs for all the help! Oh and the not killing me was nice too lol

If you're going solid state, stay away from the newer Marshall amps. They aren't too great. Stay away from the MG and the AVT series. The Roland Cube is a really nice SS amp, as well as the Roland JC-120. Randall makes great solid state heads if you're into teh br00talz.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
the only good marshalls are tubed, unless you want Zakk Wylde's Crushing! distortion
we'll kill you if you get a solid state half stack though
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords

He'll kill himself when he hears his CRUSHING tone.

Another amp I thought I'd throw in was the Orange Tiny Terror. It might get a bit pricey due to the need for a cabinet.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by UnsignedRecords

Not out of jealousy either...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Hey bro, don't get the crate flexwave half stack.

I originally had a crate rfx120 combo amp and after 2 years the amp died... in the middle of a show....now i was angry, but not too angry just because the amp was cheap and it had a decent run, it served its purpose. But my band had another gig in a week and i needed an amp bad, and i only had like $500 bucks.

I saw this amp, didn't really look around for others as it got the same exact tones as my other amp and thus i wouldn't have to spend much time getting used to it before the next gig. It was 500, so i got it. It sounded just like my old one and i was happy, albeit in the heat of the moment i "thought" that was a good thing. After about a month i started noticing that it would get louder suddenly, drastically louder, in the middle of playing. i didn't pay too much attention to it at that point but after a few more months it would do it constantly. Recently it has gotten to the point where the amp will go completely silent randomly, clip, come in and out, suddenly get louder, all randomly. Basically, it sounds like it is dying... after 6 months.... that's not right.

I would think it was just my bad luck but every guitar center i have been too has the same problem with these amps. I try playing them and they do what mine does. My local GC doesn't even stock them anymore.......

All things considered, the amp has an ok....and i say ok loosly, tone. It is, however, not reliable at all. I play in a band and it is important that i have a functional amp, and this amp doesn't do that. I am always worried it will die.... not a good feeling. And since it was so cheap i can't even sell it back anywhere. I wouldn't even dream of selling it to a fellow guitarist, just on the basis that it doesn't work! yeah, i'm a bit bitter but i think i have the right to be when this crate amp doesn't do its job and none of the crates i have found do their job either.

so yeah, you get what you pay for in tone, (not as good as tube, but better than marshall mg series haha) but you don't get anything in the way of reliability. So don't get it bro, don't make the same mistake i did.

EDIT: Oh, and take advice from UG. after 4 years on here i still didn't have the mind to come on here when i needed to get a new amp, and now i paid the price for my ignorance... im a dumb f***...
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
Last edited by atc228 at Feb 20, 2008,