I was trying to figure out the notes in the solo from more than a feeling by Boston and now I am confused. I wanted to figure out which scale the solo was constructed from so I looked at the tab and these are the notes I came up with: A,B,C#,D,E,F#, and G. This doesn't follow any intervals that I am aware of. Can you guys help me out? The solo is pretty easy and isn't very long. Thanks
Wow I feel stupid now. I shoulda known that. The first note of the song is even D. I guess I was just simply trying to find a pentatonic scale that fit it. I kinda forgot about the diatonic major and minor scales lol. Thanks for the help guys. Sorry it was such a stupid question.
What about the prechorus riff that includes a C, not a C#? C isn't in the D major scale.
Last edited by rockadoodle at Feb 20, 2008,
So songs can include accidentals, notes that may not necessarily be in the scale that the key of the song is in?
Quote by rockadoodle
So songs can include accidentals, notes that may not necessarily be in the scale that the key of the song is in?

You're damn right. Gl with the song.
Quote by rockadoodle

Absolutely.
Quote by rockadoodle

Totally. Tons, tons, tons of songs have accidentals. Like, seriously, tons.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Oh ok, well this clears a lot of things up. I was under the impression that the notes in songs all had to belong to a particular scale. Since this IS NOT the case, I guess it allows songs to be alot more diverse and not confined to one set scale.
You can do whatever you want in music. A lot of people don't even know what scales are.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
You can do whatever you want in music. A lot of people don't even know what scales are.

Like Slash....he doesnt know what anything is, but he plays what sounds "good".
Quote by dogismycopilot
he doesnt know what anything is
I doubt that. After playing guitar for 30 years and being a rock star for 20ish, I'm sure he's pickup some things up.

It's not coincidence that most of his stuff is pentatonic based.
^ i agree with her

this is what he said in guitar world

slash

"i have alot of guitarist friends who are whatyou might call "technically involved"and are amazing at incorporating scales into thier playing. but that's just not me. one of these friends steve lukather, is effectively my guitar mentor. steve's always giving me lessons and tips on how to use different scales in weird positions and over various chords. he knows all these tricks about starting on different notes and using certain scales in certain keys. as facinating as that stuff is, i have a hard applying it because melodically it doesn't appeal to me. i just can't seem to play that technical stuff with any real feeling or emotion. ultimetly,the most important thing for me is to make sure what i play has some sort of melodic significance. for that reason, in any given song there are only a couple different scales that work for me."

then he goes some talk about a 145 progression in c and the minor pent

talks about major runs. that he likes to add a minor 7th at the end of a run
song stuck in my head today

Quote by bangoodcharlote
The way he wrote it, yes, it's A Mixolydian, but the song clearly resolves to D, making it D major.

I haven't heard the song, so since he wrote it with the tonic being on A I just figured it was A. My bad.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I doubt that. After playing guitar for 30 years and being a rock star for 20ish, I'm sure he's pickup some things up.

It's not coincidence that most of his stuff is pentatonic based.

wait, your a girl?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yes.

and you DONT like Good Charlotte.... WTF!!

LOL jk
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
and you DONT like Good Charlotte.... WTF!!
Their music sucks, but one of them is really hawt.

Stupid fucking "punks." Conform, godammit!
Quote by bangoodcharlote

is your name really sue?
Quote by bangoodcharlote

yeah i would classify then as emo to be honest. i know what you mean by "punks"
song stuck in my head today

You know what im talking about when i say he doesnt know anything. Obviously after 30 years that would make a difference. I forgot that i have to extremely specific for anyone to understand what im thinking.
Quote by dogismycopilot
You know what im talking about when i say he doesnt know anything.
I know exactly what you mean: Slash doesn't know anything except for the stuff that he uses.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Feb 21, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Suzanne.

I always thought that "Call me 'Sue'" was a joke. I dunno, always thought you were a guy. I guess that's part of being on this website though.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I always thought that "Call me 'Sue'" was a joke. I dunno, always thought you were a guy. I guess that's part of being on this website though.
You've always thought that? It's only said that for a week!