Page 1 of 2
So i've been looking to invest in some sort of effect pedal, but no one i know plays bass. Any good pointers on what to get for sure, or to stay away from???

It would be much appreciated!!
Anesthetize the panic,
It is what drives the weak.
You can get distortion/whammy/wah/delay. It really isn't necessary though. I just plug straight into mah amp and that's the way I like it.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I find that the pedals I use most are my chorus and delay. But that's just me. You really need to do some analysis on what the predominate genre and songs you play and base your choice around that. Otherwise, you will be buying some really nice bright shiny objects that are going to prove dangerous distractions.

And to BleedDeathMetal--you play your Warwick$$ through a Behringher and like the tone? I am stunned and amazed...
I love to roll with some light tremelo, gives me a nice electric piano feel on those low notes, this is kind of unusual though, typically people start out with chorus, compressor (if you call that an effect), delay, overdrive, or wah.

Never question the power of a bass with some heavy flanger either... awesome.

edit* most bass players tend to steer clear of reverb unless you are making some crazy ambient music.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 20, 2008,
Stay away from the "ultrabass" on behringer speakers, they sound terrible. That is probably the only effect I can think of that you need to avoid, although some members of the forum (starts with thef- and ends in -itz) despise Big Muff.

As to Anarkee, I personally enjoy my behringer. I bought it knowing it does not go up to the advertized wattage, and on sale to boot. It has yet to break down on me, and it has lasted me through many a band practice.

Besides false advertizing, the only thing i find wrong in behringer is that they just have more lemons than most.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I've been pretty disappointed in Line 6's bass wares. Wouldn't recommend it.
Quote by kranoscorp

Besides false advertizing, the only thing i find wrong in behringer is that they just have more lemons than most.

To the TS, I wouldn't buy any behringer pedals either, I've owned quite a few and they consistently die. I've had a limiter, chorus, reverb, and electric guitar DI pedal all die on me, the last three all stopped powering up with battery or power adapter.

They don't honestly sound too bad (I'd compare them with my boss stuff for actual tone), but they will die, so it's worth investing in a real brand.

edit* and before anyone asks, yes I use the correct voltage power adaptor.
Chorus is allways fun ^^
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by dullsilver_mike
To the TS, I wouldn't buy any behringer pedals either, I've owned quite a few and they consistently die. I've had a limiter, chorus, reverb, and electric guitar DI pedal all die on me, the last three all stopped powering up with battery or power adapter.

They don't honestly sound too bad (I'd compare them with my boss stuff for actual tone), but they will die, so it's worth investing in a real brand.

edit* and before anyone asks, yes I use the correct voltage power adaptor.

i was looking at some behringer pedals in my local music shop and the guy i was talking to said he wouldn't recommend them because they're so basic, which is the reason for the very tempting prices of about £18.99. he did recommend boss or big muff, but i'm not sure what the general opinion here is with those
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
I used to have a boss ODB-3 Overdrive and EHX Nano Bass Balls

but tbh I found especially the EHX bass balls didnt compliment my sound,it was just a distraction TBH, I went right off it, in less than a month, it was just a funny nosie maker, waste of £50

the Boss I recently got rid of after not using it for months, I have come to realise that a clean bass sound is what I really like...

but if that digitech bass whammy ever comes back, or I can ever afford one...well, thats a different matter

hahaha

And Id maybe like an octave pedal, for solo work and such....
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by Raizer Sabre
i was looking at some behringer pedals in my local music shop and the guy i was talking to said he wouldn't recommend them because they're so basic, which is the reason for the very tempting prices of about £18.99. he did recommend boss or big muff, but i'm not sure what the general opinion here is with those

I don't think "basic" is a good word, behringer crap usually has a bunch of features that simply aren't too useful on such a cheap product. They are cheap soley because they are made of bad materials and are poorly designed so that they break very very easily. More of my behringer stuff has broken over the years then remained functioning.

Boss products tend to color the sound of your bass both when on or bypassed, they are nasty little tone suckers that make your sound a bit more dull. It's a shame because their effects work well, are tough, and are relatively affordable. I absolutely love what my DD-6 can do, but now that I have a new tube amp, I'm hesistent to use it because a lot of the clarity and throatiness of my tone is lost. Guess it's time to bite the bullet and get a line selector pedal.

I don't have personal experience with electro harmonix stuff like the big muff (though I want a POG very badly) I've heard they have better sound quality than boss, and a nicer bypass, though the micro or mini series do no justice to the full size (giant) pedals. This is pure hearsay so I'll leave further details to someone that knows what he/she is talking about.

Personally, I was pretty satisfied with Buildyourownclone.com where you can build pedals from kits. They all have true bypass and a lot of the guitar pedal kits come with instructions for modding them for bass. I've made a subtle little envelope filter (modded for bass) and a green ringer clone that I prefer using over a fuzz pedal, I have an unbuilt tremolo and slow gear clone sitting on my shelf waiting for spring break or a free weekend.
well i got the Boss Bass overdrive pedal and the boss Chorus pedal they are really good pedals.
but the most pointless pedal i have seen is hte Boss Bass Synth pedal. i mean if u want to hear synth buy one it might actually be cheaper lol
Overdrive/distortion, wah, envelope filter, chorus and compression are probably the most common effects.

See also, FAQ
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
get: effects that you know you need

avoid: behringer
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Of all the pedals I've used, owned and borrowed, the two I enjoy most are my EH double muff and Boss dynamic wah. They both eat batteries like tictacs though, always get the power adapter
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
i've tried a little big muff distortion fuzz box thing which sounded great, but i don't know how much it cost since it was already in the room where i was trying out this bass lol
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
To joe_ayr: I have the Boss SYB-5 synth pedal and I actually like it a lot. It sounds okay and it's really good for jamming funk/rap stuff. Also, I got mine for $60 on ebay. Paying full price for it is kind of ridiculous, so just watch ebay for one if you want one. I found it to be a good investment. Also, Mike Gordon (formerly of Phish) has an SYB-3, the older Boss synth model.

I rarely use effects. If you want a pedal that can alter your tone a lot, though, look into the Boss GEB-7. I have one, and you can dial in some nice sounds with that many bands of EQ (and a look at thefitz's EQ rants). My brother has an ODB-3 overdrive, which sounds good, although bass overdrive can be hit-or-miss. I also have a Morley Dual Bass Wah. Stay away from it. It has an annoying feature where it turns off in the fully-rocked back position, so you can't get the full low-only thing you can with other wahs. Compression sounds really good too though it can take the character out of your bass.
Quote by the_woof
To joe_ayr: I have the Boss SYB-5 synth pedal and I actually like it a lot. It sounds okay and it's really good for jamming funk/rap stuff. Also, I got mine for $60 on ebay. Paying full price for it is kind of ridiculous, so just watch ebay for one if you want one. I found it to be a good investment. Also, Mike Gordon (formerly of Phish) has an SYB-3, the older Boss synth model.

I rarely use effects. If you want a pedal that can alter your tone a lot, though, look into the Boss GEB-7. I have one, and you can dial in some nice sounds with that many bands of EQ (and a look at thefitz's EQ rants). My brother has an ODB-3 overdrive, which sounds good, although bass overdrive can be hit-or-miss. I also have a Morley Dual Bass Wah. Stay away from it. It has an annoying feature where it turns off in the fully-rocked back position, so you can't get the full low-only thing you can with other wahs. Compression sounds really good too though it can take the character out of your bass.

There's a simple mod you can do to the morley wahs so you can get the full sweep so that the pedal only disengages after a second or two of being in the heel down position, I didn't do it to mine myself, the previous owner did but it works great, and the actually sound of the wah is great.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Chorus, Chorus, Chorus, Chorus, Chorus, get my point? I love the sound of chorus, and I would get my from Ashdown if I were you. I would also look into a sonic equalizer. I've never used a Sonic EQ, but I've only heard good things about them.
i agree with woof...You can just about dial anything in with decent EQ... but as far as pedals and multi's you won't do real bad with BOSS.
Bass wahs are awesome. The Snarling Dogs one I have is stellar. The only other Bass effects pedal I have is a chorus pedal, which is nice, but I don't use it too much. I've heard that using the Metal Muff pedal (I forget who makes it) works great for bass, too.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
To be honest I'd stay away from cheap Multi FX Pedals, nothing under £100 is gonna be decent. I learnt that, but occasionally I mess around with it, but the bass distortion is shockingly bad, btw its a Zoom B2. I only really use it for tuning and also for the flanger, autowah and phaser, cos they're pretty cool FX.

I'd only get a muli-FX pedal if you don't know what singular pedal you want, but then again £80 is a lot for experimenting around. Try them in music shops
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
To be honest I'd stay away from cheap Multi FX Pedals

Yeah, I agree. Multi effects pedals are never good. Especially if it's Digitech.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
all right, sounds good.
Thanx all!!

Oh and I saw someone mention about what type of genre i'm wantin to play. Definitely heavy metal. Maybe death/black metal if I can find anyone, so if that helps to give me a better idea, that would be greatly appreciated!!
Anesthetize the panic,
It is what drives the weak.
And for the love all that is holy, avoid Danelectro pedals. They are cheap for a reason--the Bic disposable razors of the effects pedal world.
Quote by SIX1989
all right, sounds good.
Thanx all!!

Oh and I saw someone mention about what type of genre i'm wantin to play. Definitely heavy metal. Maybe death/black metal if I can find anyone, so if that helps to give me a better idea, that would be greatly appreciated!!

You need the VALNØTT. Check it out here
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Last edited by Forcemaster at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by Forcemaster
You need the VALNØTT check it out here

That was gold!
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Zycho
I've been pretty disappointed in Line 6's bass wares. Wouldn't recommend it.

I'd have to agree with you there, I tried a line 6 bass amp and didn't think much to it
Quote by Twone_
Bass wahs are awesome. The Snarling Dogs one I have is stellar. The only other Bass effects pedal I have is a chorus pedal, which is nice, but I don't use it too much. I've heard that using the Metal Muff pedal (I forget who makes it) works great for bass, too.

it does, my friend from a barnsley band called callus who plays bass uses metal muff n morley wah
Quote by Raizer Sabre

well. 18.99? you get what you pay for. and that means cheap sounding plastic. but it is a good start to get togrips with effects... i got a lil big muff, my first single effect stomp box all those years ago, and compared to my zoom 606 (multi effect) it sounded really sweet... get a big muff. cheaper in some cases than boss, and much more respected among musicians... although, boss sounds very generic, and is great for copying famous sounds... but big muff. big mufff. get it. now.
Quote by ollie_wtf
well. 18.99? you get what you pay for. and that means cheap sounding plastic. but it is a good start to get togrips with effects... i got a lil big muff, my first single effect stomp box all those years ago, and compared to my zoom 606 (multi effect) it sounded really sweet... get a big muff. cheaper in some cases than boss, and much more respected among musicians... although, boss sounds very generic, and is great for copying famous sounds... but big muff. big mufff. get it. now.

I like to be heard in the mix, thank you very much.

Though many people like the tone of a Big Muff (not me) it does cut a decent chuck of low end. It may not sound much, butiti a band situation, unless you were overpowering everyone completely before, that drop in bass is incredibly significant.

For overdrive/distortion, I am a shameless Fulltone advertiser. It is just on of those pedals where every single setting sounds good. It is simply a matter of chosing the sound you want, and making it sound great with minor refinements.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I enjoy messing with a phaser. I'd actually recommend renting a nice multi-effects pedal, use it in a practice or two, and see what you actually use/like.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
well thanks to generous band mates, i will have a Line 6 POD X3 Live, with an expanded bass program, at my disposal. i generally preach against effects for bass,
because they usually kill the lows, but this little jewel may change my mind. i'll let ya'll know how it works out.
Synth.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
As mentioned earlier, both thefunnylittlewhositz and myself do not like the Big Muff. My issue has more to do with people's reasoning of getting it and because of their typical "because I like it so shut up" justification than the pedal itself - I'm against guitar distortions on bass, and they should be avoided. All guitar distortions (or run-of-the-mill guitar fuzzes like the Big Muff) have some sort of high pass filter to allow higher gain without muddying the signal. Guitarist's mud is the lifeblood of our instrument, and therefore the band.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by anarkee
And for the love all that is holy, avoid Danelectro pedals. They are cheap for a reason--the Bic disposable razors of the effects pedal world.

oh no you didnt! i quite enjoy danoelectrics, i can get about 15 for the price of one cheap vietnamese hooker. plus, they have the coolest names of any pedal company. the pepperoni, corned beef, cool cat, 60's swami. quite classy imo.

my only real beef with a pedal is the q-tron, man was i dissapointed, it didnt make me bootsy nor flea, nor did it make me any decent money on ebay. as far as envelope filters go, i'd recommend the Maxxon envelope filter. technically a guitar pedal, but generally any quality pedal will work just as well on bass.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by crazypeanutman
my only real beef with a pedal is the q-tron, man was i dissapointed, it didnt make me bootsy nor flea, nor did it make me any decent money on ebay. as far as envelope filters go, i'd recommend the Maxxon envelope filter. technically a guitar pedal, but generally any quality pedal will work just as well on bass.

I'm a huge fan of my Q-tron Plus, which is a Q-tron with a few added extras. It is incredibly responsive to how you play, and after a while, you can get a hug range of sounds really easily. Soundwise, it isn't anything special. However, it sounds exactly how an envelope filter should in my mind.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i've got a BOSS ME-20B and it's great, solid build, good sounds and loads of effects but it's quite complicated at first
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Multi effects. Even though it's not Soviet Russia, The Wah in it makes ME cry.
Page 1 of 2