Ok, I've been playing for about 3-4 years now, although the first 3 years were not very progressive, my music teacher when I first got a guitar was a complete dick, and it put me off guitar for about a year, but that's only after I was playing for about 2 years, and I just started back up about 9 or 10 months ago, so I don't really have 4 years experience, I just remembered basic theory (scales, intervals, that kind of stuff), and basic guitar playing when I got started back up. Over the past 10 months I've been playing ALOT, atleast 4 hours every day (no joke).

I'm thinking I've gotten pretty good, or atleast good enough to stop playing other peoples/bands songs, and I want to make my own music, but don't know how to get start or anything..

Everything I make sounds like crap, so I'm looking for some tips for making my own music.
HL2.net!?

EDIT: Rofl, just opened up firefox and clicked on a random thread from the front page to poke around and was really surprised to see a familiar place. Small tubes, I suppose.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Last edited by MuffinMan at Feb 20, 2008,
I would suggest using other peoples riffs as an example when you write your stuff. Like taking a riff from a song you like and playing it at a diffrent place on the fret board, then adding or subtracting from it to make it more your own. Of course I cant really help you much since I've never really made a riff worth while.
Yea, I thought of that, but I also thought that it wouldn't really be mine, if I added and subtracted from an already existing riff, it's be like 30% theirs, then 70% mine, seeing as how I didn't come up with the source material, y'know?

I want to make something from scratch, but the thing is I don't know what it should sound like (low or high), what speed it should be at, if I should include chords or not, what the beat should be like, etc, etc. That's the kind of stuff I need help with.
Do what I do, start by playing asong you already know, then while playing it start making up riffs, keep it up until something hits you. I like that approach because it gives me the basic tempo, drum part, and chord idea, I just **** around from there until something good comes. And about taking riff idea's thing, every guitarist does it to some extent. Just don't completely rip the riff,
example of similar riffs Black Sabbath N.I.B and Cream Sunshine of your love
Metallica whiplash and Motorhead Ace of Spades
just mess around and see what you come up with. when you improvise, always write down what you play, some of the best stuff i've played has been random and i've only written one improv down
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
lol, I wrote this huge post, then (I use opera web browser) I tried to do a mouse shortcut (right click and down) to open a new tab to check a spelling and it closed down this one lol.

Anyway

I've only been playing guitar for a year and a bit, but I practised piano for four, so I'm an experienced musician.

Sit in a quiet room with a tape recorder and hum a tune. build it up in intensity, using hand movements and gestures like kneeling and occasionally powersliding to capture the moment. Sweep up and down through scales, go back to tunes you already made, absolutely anything. The only requirement is to make it seem amazing to you. Make yourself cry with the sheer epicisity of what you're doing.

If you haven't seen school of rock, I reccomend watching it. The way duey (jack black) tries to make up a song in front of the kids, while hilarious, works surprisingly well.

After you have your tune, melody, bass, whatever. NOW it's time to pick up you guitar and start putting your innane humming on the fretboard. I'm not sure if this is how the pros do it, but for making up music on your own, it's quite effective.
I've made a few songs, that actually are quite good. I take a structure from my favorite song at the time, example- intro is the main riff, then there is a fill, ect ect.

Then, I usually mess around with open strings and I personally like C harmonic minor so I mess around with that.

Also, if you can add some chords and resolvers if you want.