Hi. I've got a friend who's got one of those Gibson Baldwin Signature Series SGs and a Line 6 Spider (yes, I know). He's been doing a lot of tapping recently, and is looking into swapping out the pickups in his guitar for some ones that would pick up tapping lately.

I suspect it's the pickups, since when he runs my guitar (see sig) through his amp, his tapping sounds much better - cleaner and more well-defined, whereas with his guitar, it's muddier.

Any suggestions on humbuckers that are good for tapping? I hear Seymour Duncan JBs are nice, as well as GFS ones, but I've never used either, so I don't actually know. What makes pickups good for tapping, anyway? Output?

Please, no responses along the lines of "get a new amp." It's not the amp, since he's happy with my guitar through the Spider (also, no Spider haters, please - yes, it sounds digital, but that's not the point).

He'd probably do well with a new guitar, but I'm fairly certain new pickups will solve the problem. If it actually is the entire guitar, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
What I Play
70% classic rock, 20% metal, 10% blues

Guitar
Fender Highway One Stratocaster - SSS

Amplifier
Line 6 Spider III 15

Pedals
Vox V-847A Wah
The reason why it sounds better on yours is that you have single coils instead of humbuckers, what he could do is put in some humbucker with a coil tap(to get a sound of a single coil) or another solution is to keep the same pickups and buy a compressor/sustainer pedal, I used a mxr dynacomp to play a song from satriani which has only tapping in it(midnight something if I remember well) and it helped a lot
hope this helps
the best wy to have tapping sound good is to not suck at it. where as his setup is terrible, you should still be able to hear tapping. itsjust like hammerons/pulloffs with two hands.

i supposed a high out put pickup and alot of distortion would help cover it though. get someGFS crunch rails. those are rockin. cheap. but putting them into a guitar like that is a waste of time and money to be honest.
I think your friend needs to get new technique.
If you can't tap on clean, you need new technique.

Maybe that's a little extreme, but that's what you should strive for. You should be able to hear it without the guitar plugged into an amp even.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by rafarquhar
I think your friend needs to get new technique.
If you can't tap on clean, you need new technique.

Maybe that's a little extreme, but that's what you should strive for. You should be able to hear it without the guitar plugged into an amp even.

Exactly.. Don't get new gear to make up for crappy technique, especially compressors or using high gain.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by ColCommunism
I suspect it's the pickups, since when he runs my guitar (see sig) through his amp, his tapping sounds much better - cleaner and more well-defined, whereas with his guitar, it's muddier.
Maybe pickups are the difference. Or maybe it's the profile of the frets (the shape and alloy of the frets should have a ton of effect on the the sound, because thats what initiates the wave on the string, right?) or the difference in bridges between the two guitars.

But let's go with your pickup theory, for now.
Quote by ColCommunism
Hi. I've got a friend who's got one of those Gibson Baldwin Signature Series SGs
And you have a Highway 1 Strat, not HBs.

Who knows what HBs will sound closest to your Strats pickups when split to singles?
Maybe the stock pickups he has will come close. The first thing to try would be the cheapest.

If his pickups are splittable, install a split switch.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by LP Addict
i supposed a high out put pickup and alot of distortion would help cover it though. get someGFS crunch rails. those are rockin. cheap. but putting them into a guitar like that is a waste of time and money to be honest.

He said he didn't want mud.
emg 81/85
putting quality pups in a cheap guitar is never a waste of money, Once you upgrade guitars swap the nice pups into the new ax and replace the old stockers in the cheapo. at least you reap the benefits of the new sound in the old ax until u upgrade
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Quote by fuzzyDXMG
emg 81/85
putting quality pups in a cheap guitar is never a waste of money, Once you upgrade guitars swap the nice pups into the new ax and replace the old stockers in the cheapo. at least you reap the benefits of the new sound in the old ax until u upgrade
True. It's a waste of time.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.