Page 1 of 2
Hi, i am an intermediate, i am looking to get a new guitar, i currently own a gibson les paul. I mostly play classic rock like the rolling stones, guns n roses, etc. and occasional metal. What guitar would you recomend?
The Gibson Les Paul you already have?

It might be more beneficial to upgrade your gear. What kind of amp do you have?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
you sound like u have a good guitar gibson ftw sometimes
better amp is the way to go
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Theres really no way to go up from that guitar... You can go sideways though with a fender strat or something, but for what you play stick with the Les Paul.

And like ^he said, maybe get a new amp?
i have a small vox, i think its the the va 1, but i was thinking of getting an ibanez or jackson- would you be able to get "rock n roll" sounds out of one of them? If not what other guitars could you use?
get a tube amp to release the full potential of your lp

since u mentioned guns n roses slash used marshall jubilee amps but i hear they are rare and very expensive. so i suggest maybe a marshall jcm half stack?

but if you want a guitar then id go a gibson les paul custom, i hear they aree versatile in hard rock genres. you see metallica (sometimes not emg but stock p/u's) and rhoads use them. so i guess they can cover guns n roses too!

EDIT!!

oh yeah esp ltd ec-1000 with seymour duncans!! silly me haha
Get a new amp...price range?

I upgraded to Gibson LP before amp and thought I needed multiple guitars to cover different genres but once I got the amp it opened everything up. Out of curiosity...what type of LP is it?
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
Quote by chez80
i have a small vox, i think its the the va 1, but i was thinking of getting an ibanez or jackson- would you be able to get "rock n roll" sounds out of one of them? If not what other guitars could you use?

The guitar doesn't 'make' your sound. The amp does.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Ok, ok. My two cents. Stay the hell away from Jackson and Ibanez. For the sounds you're seeking, your guitar is Godly. What you need is an amp that suits your tastes as well. Also, to be frank, any guitar with humbuckers through the right amp will sound relatively rock n rolly.

Look into Marshall, Mesa/Boogie, and Randall tube amps. There are plenty of great other ones to check out, but those are pretty standard. I mean, you blew between $1k-2k on your Les Paul, I'm sure you've got enough to buff out a decent head and cab. If you can't get a head and cab, and want a combo... Take a look at the Mesa/Boogie Lonestar or some of the Fender combos.

Good luck.
Member #3 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club.
Mesa-Boogie Mark IV <-- GREAT amp for going from GNR to classic rock (and it's relatively lower gains)
Marshall that isn't an MG
Peavy (Classic 50 if you go combo)
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue (if you wanna go for a $700 amp that's about as good ass the higher priced ones)
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
thanks for all the quick replies, now i am having second thoughts
ohhh and one other question- do you know of any guitars that have a similar neck as a music man?
Quote by chez80
ohhh and one other question- do you know of any guitars that have a similar neck as a music man?

An amplifier.

Seriously, probably an Ibanez or 'Shred' guitars.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
loll- by the way i was just looking at a marshall practice amp- i think that is what i am going to get
Quote by chez80
loll- by the way i was just looking at a marshall practice amp- i think that is what i am going to get

If it's an MG, please don't, you won't be giving that Gibby any justice. At least get something with valves in it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
a marshall practice? you can afford a gibson les paul and not a tube half stack?!?!

ur gonna make us UGers cry man at least get a peavey classic 30 or valveking or something with tube and sex tone
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
An amplifier.

Seriously, probably an Ibanez or 'Shred' guitars.

I find Music Man and Ibanez necks to be quite different. Music Man necks are actually not that thin and their fret boards have a 10" radius so they aren't nearly as flat as an Ibanez.

I do agree that the TS needs to spend the money to get a least a semi-decent valve amp.
if you want something little or in the lower price range get an orange tiny terror.

it is the biggest sounding amp for the price.
Quote by T!AN
I find Music Man and Ibanez necks to be quite different. Music Man necks are actually not that thin and their fret boards have a 10" radius so they aren't nearly as flat as an Ibanez.

I do agree that the TS needs to spend the money to get a least a semi-decent valve amp.

Well, you're most likely right. I've played 1 Music man and the neck was probably sanded down!

+1 E-Cookie
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by chez80

Ok,
Well thanks for wasting everyones time with this thread.
You just ignored everyones advice to get an amp. (A non-marshall MG one) And you decide to get...
A MARSHALL MG.

Honestly, i'd rather have a guitar with a edge III trem.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
if someone had an epiphone les paul, would it be the same as a gibson-im talking in terms of sound quality not cosmetics
no way dude

epiphone is way lower in quality than a gibson

but i hear epiphone elitist are far superior than low end gibson (faded, stusdio serieS)

and pls tell us your getting a TUBE amp.
Last edited by jimzer at Feb 20, 2008,
so.... if you had an epiphone what kind of axe would you get next?
Quote by chez80
oo yeah i already decided im getting a marshall stack

Not an MG Stack please. Do us all a favor.

You don't need a stack either, you could do the same thing with a combo.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by chez80
not an mg, and what do you mean combo??

A combo is an amplifier that has speakers encased in the chassis.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
oooo, kkk soo if you had an epi les paul what would you get next (my friend wants to know)
Quote by chez80
oooo, kkk soo if you had an epi les paul what would you get next (my friend wants to know)

A new amp. Your friend probably needs one too!

I don't know, why does your friend want a new guitar? Does he really need one? Epiphones are quite alright.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
so this is my ultimate question... Getting a new amp is like getting a new guitar... how much different could my vox be from a marshall- if you can explain the technical's please explain
Quote by chez80
so this is my ultimate question... Getting a new amp is like getting a new guitar... how much different could my vox be from a marshall- if you can explain the technical's please explain

Different amp = different sound. Amps are all voiced differently. Technically speaking, they have different valves and internal components.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
if i get a mrshall, will it ensure a rock n roll sound or of the classic sound
Quote by chez80
if i get a mrshall, will it ensure a rock n roll sound or of the classic sound

Just try out a bunch of amps and see what you like.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
this is another problem... when i play on my gibs i dont play as clear as i did on a music man... so i was also looking for a guitar i would be able to play more clear on... and also how is the marshall mini stack?
i also want to add that im using my boss effects pedal through my vox
Marshall amplifiers have combos as well as amplifier heads.

PROTIP: Don't double (in your case triple) post, use your edit button.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
sorry about the post thing ( my final decision is the mini marshall stack) it has great reviews and i am going to try it today- comment on my decision
i love my c-1 hellraiser. its beautiful, fairly cheap, performs great. the emg's, despite what a lot of people say, are pretty versatile. atleast give it a play.
Page 1 of 2