Page 1 of 2
If you considered yourself an amateur musician ready to move to the next stage, but had absolutely NO way of getting there because of financial issues, would you steal a couple things to buy some equipment?

Ya know, some rich guy's laptop, antiques, etc... Basically, anything from somebody that doesn't need it.

I just need to know if you think it's ethical, realistically.

EDIT: I live in the Midwest part of the USA, if it makes a difference.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Last edited by Firequacker at Feb 20, 2008,
Nope, that's just a bitch move.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
what stealing isn't a job
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
you can't buy yourself into the music industry. and it's not like you're robin hood, this is actually an incredibly selfish cause.

edit: i'm not going to keep my answers in any form, you douche.
Last edited by Arthur Curry at Feb 20, 2008,
Please keep answers in the form of, "Yes, I would, blah blah blha blah..."... or not. Depends on if you feel like it or not.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
No, why do you deserve it more than they do? They worked for it you should get off your lazy ass and do the same
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
No. Anyone who steals is one of the lowest pieces of scum on the planet. Other people have to work hard for what they've got, why shouldn't you?
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
If there was 0% chance of me getting caught then yes.

If there was a person in the house I would ask, " Mind smelling this rag full of chloroform?" If he/she says yes I will give him a wiff and proceed to steal at 0% chance.

But, those are only ifs. There is steal a 100% wussy boy in me.
Last edited by Legends16 at Feb 20, 2008,
I certainly wouldn't do anything like that. I do have plenty of pirated software that I think helps my music though.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by yellowshirtguy
No. Anyone who steals is one of the lowest pieces of scum on the planet. Other people have to work hard for what they've got, why shouldn't you?

Bull, not everyone works hard for what they have.

I've been living on the brink of poverty for around a year now, I wouldn't feel remorse in stealing to make my living, especially for my music.

Magicedit:Whereabouts in the midwest TS?
Last edited by stringmagician at Feb 20, 2008,
Someone sold a set of drums I left at their house for drug money and a new amp. So no, because I know how it feels. If you do, you're:
A. A prick.
B. A waste of skin.
C. Deserving of a shotgun to the face.
Quote by stringmagician

I've been living on the brink of poverty for around a year now, I wouldn't feel remorse in stealing to make my living, especially for my music.

Um.. Get a job? Or get two jobs? Taking something from someone else, regardless of whether or not you think they worked hard for it, and they most likely did.. Makes you a prick. Plain and simple.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by yellowshirtguy

+1

Quote by stringmagician

Well let me tell you something.
Currently, my family is trying to sell the car and my mom's laptop because our current cash isn't enough to get to the end of the next month, so I believe that I'm in a worse situation than you. Yet, I wouldn't ever think about stealing.
Thieves are scum. No matter their position.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by urik
+1

Well let me tell you something.
Currently, my family is trying to sell the car and my mom's laptop because our current cash isn't enough to get to the end of the next month, so I believe that I'm in a worse situation than you. Yet, I wouldn't ever think about stealing.
Thieves are scum. No matter their position.

Don't be a condescending ****. I've pawned half of my belongings, as have the rest of my family so we can afford rent in a four room house, and we still have to beg our extended family for money to have dinner every night. My sister (25) has been stealing things and selling coke for months to keep food on the table, and she has two jobs. I've been looking for a job for about 6 months an haven't found one yet, because I'm limited to work within walking distance of my house for the fact that we have one car between three people that need to get to three combined jobs and school. One car that needs a radiator fluid change, an engine check, and new oil that we can't afford.

I have passed the point of feeling bad about stealing people's material posessions, they'll most likely be replaced and will ultimately have no affect on how that person lives, save a little inconvenience in buying something NEW.
Quote by stringmagician
Don't be a condescending ****. I've pawned half of my belongings, as have the rest of my family so we can afford rent in a four room house, and we still have to beg our extended family for money to have dinner every night. My sister (25) has been stealing things and selling coke for months to keep food on the table, and she has two jobs. I've been looking for a job for about 6 months an haven't found one yet, because I'm limited to work within walking distance of my house for the fact that we have one car between three people that need to get to three combined jobs and school. One car that needs a radiator fluid change, an engine check, and new oil that we can't afford.

I have passed the point of feeling bad about stealing people's material posessions, they'll most likely be replaced and will ultimately have no affect on how that person lives, save a little inconvenience in buying something NEW.

Meanwhile, you seem to think you're above the people that do have money, as you think stealing from them is okay. And stealing it from them is detrimental anyway. Say you steal their laptop, which may or may not have very important files. Or an antique, which may or may not have sentimental value to them. Or an instrument, which also has sentimental value to them. These people aren't responsible for your problems, the only people who are responsible for that are you and yours. Why should they have to fix it?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Meanwhile, you seem to think you're above the people that do have money, as you think stealing from them is okay.

It's only okay when the ends justify the means. I never said I was above anyone if you read it right, I said I wouldn't pity a kid that got his bike stolen if his parents would just buy him a brand new one within a week. It might even teach him something about taking his little bike for granted.
Quote by stringmagician
It's only okay when the ends justify the means. I never said I was above anyone if you read it right, I said I wouldn't pity a kid that got his bike stolen if his parents would just buy him a brand new one within a week. It might even teach him something about taking his little bike for granted.

It's not their problem, it's yours.
Quote by vintage x metal

No. If I were in financial problems with music, I'd probably do something like living with my parents until I get back on my feet.
Quote by stringmagician

You have to beg for money to eat and yet you can pay for an internet connection...
You may not be BSing, but it surely looks like you are. I wouldn't be saying that my sister is selling coke if it was true.
Anyway I don't want to star a flame war but what you just said looks like utter BS.
Also, if what you say is true, why you didn't sell some of your awesome gear? I mean, you don't need it all and your family is in a desperate situation.
Hard to believe that your sister has two jobs and is selling coke with your gear...
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

NO. I believe in a loose adaptation of Karma. So i strive never to stoop that low...

...that's why i HIRE someone to steal it FOR ME.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
stealing is only acceptable if you are stealing food or medicine or something and have no other way of getting it. Get a fucking job.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
stealing is only acceptable if you are stealing food or medicine or something and have no other way of getting it. Get a fucking job, bum.

Fixed.

Quote by urik
You have to beg for money to eat and yet you can pay for an internet connection...
You may not be BSing, but it surely looks like you are. I wouldn't be saying that my sister is selling coke if it was true.
Anyway I don't want to star a flame war but what you just said looks like utter BS.
Also, if what you say is true, why you didn't sell some of your awesome gear? I mean, you don't need it all and your family is in a desperate situation.
Hard to believe that your sister has two jobs and is selling coke with your gear...

Not to mention how expensive coke is. And I don't know too many coke dealers that don't dip into it as well.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by urik

All of my gear I got from my dad when he passed away three years ago, I would never, ever sell any of it unless it was a life and death situation, and I could never live with my self afterwards if I ever had to.

I have an internet connection because I need it for my band (MY only source of personal income) and my sister needs it for work, my mom's a teacher.

Yes, it sounds like bull**** on the internet because these are the kinds of sob stories people make up.
If you have to steal because you have no other alternatives ... well you do have an alternative - its called "prison". People that steal deserve to go to that nice place just like honest people deserve their belongings.
Quote by stringmagician
All of my gear I got from my dad when he passed away three years ago, I would never, ever sell any of it unless it was a life and death situation, and I could never live with my self afterwards if I ever had to.

I have an internet connection because I need it for my band (MY only source of personal income) and my sister needs it for work, my mom's a teacher.

Yes, it sounds like bull**** on the internet because these are the kinds of sob stories people make up.

Well, say I was broke, and I wanted some money. How would you feel if I stole those guitars?
Quote by vintage x metal

Definately not. It isn't the rich communtiy's fault that you have financial problems, they've worked to be where they are (unless they're paris hilton) and are therefore entitled to their wealth and not have to pay the price for you being poor. I'm definately rich, but i think that thieves are scum.
Quote by stringmagician

Ok then sorry for calling you a liar.
And don't steal.
Anyway, how comes that you are in poverty with your sister having two jobs and selling coke, and your mom being a teacher ?
When we immigrated to Israel, my dad worked in a gas station and my mom worked in a chickens slaughterhouse taking off their stomaches, and though we couldn't have luxuries, we had enough to live. We're talking about only two salaries with the minimum wage and four people that need to eat.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Well, say I was broke, and I wanted some money. How would you feel if I stole those guitars?

Fortunately for me I live in a second story apartment, you'd be a fool to rob a second story building. And I'd never ever steal something like a guitar, I'd never even steal something from someone's house, but if I had to yank something so I could afford the gas to get me to school in the morning I'd be fine with it.

Oh, and who's business is it what my sister's drug habits are huh?

Quote by urik
Ok then sorry for calling you a liar.
And don't steal.
Anyway, how comes that you are in poverty with your sister having two jobs and selling coke, and your mom being a teacher ?
When we immigrated to Israel, my dad worked in a gas station and my mom worked in a chickens slaughterhouse taking off their stomaches, and though we couldn't have luxuries, we had enough to live. We're talking about only two salaries with the minimum wage and four people that need to eat.

It's alright, it was just an assumption, nothing malicious.

And I'm not IN poverty, just real close to it soemtimes.

My sister also has a spending problem, she's a bit nuts. As often as I explain to her that we can't buy things she still does, and then does illegal things to fix it. She'd also rather buy me a new shirt and steal food for dinner than just buy dinner. I can't understand her at all, haha.
Last edited by stringmagician at Feb 21, 2008,
Quote by stringmagician
Fortunately for me I live in a second story apartment, you'd be a fool to rob a second story building. And I'd never ever steal something like a guitar, I'd never even steal something from someone's house, but if I had to yank something so I could afford the gas to get me to school in the morning I'd be fine with it.

My sister also has a spending problem, she's a bit nuts. As often as I explain to her that we can't buy things she still does, and then does illegal things to fix it. She'd also rather buy me a new shirt and steal food for dinner than just buy dinner. I can't understand her at all, haha.

Society, if she's selling it.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by stringmagician

Well but then it's HER fault that you're in this position.
If she's an impulsive buyer, then you can't steal to support her habit.
You earn enough to survive. It's not like you're stealing to eat.
Instead of stealing, put some sense into your sister.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
Well but then it's HER fault that you're in this position.
If she's an impulsive buyer, then you can't steal to support her habit.
You earn enough to survive. It's not like you're stealing to eat.
Instead of stealing, put some sense into your sister.

Oh, I've been trying since I was old enough to understand it. But I'm still her little brother and no matter what I tell her she'll still justify it to herself.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Society, if she's selling it.

Oh, you're quite the little humanitarian aren't you?
i steal. a lot. its my hobby you could say.....but nothing of significance or value. and i return it. i steal to see if i can get away with it. then put it back. its fun to me. i take things like..... ajar of pens off of a teacher's desk while theyre sittin there. stuff like that. i always give it back. the only thing of value ive ever stolen was an ipod. and the guy i took it from owed twice the value of it and has 2 more. dont steal in this case. youre not even in poverty. youre near it. and you could get away from it if your sister could get under control. its a lame excuse to not work for something.
Quote by stringmagician
Oh, I've been trying since I was old enough to understand it. But I'm still her little brother and no matter what I tell her she'll still justify it to herself.

Oh, you're quite the little humanitarian aren't you?

No, I just happen to think it's wrong to contribute to a market that gets people killed, either through using something, or through buying/selling something. And if not killed, landed in jail. Or one that is detrimental to the home, as many kids get neglected by parents who are using, meanwhile the people who sell those drugs, or buy them, don't really think too much on that because they're more worried about their own selfish wants. And I'm not really just talking out of my ass, I'm talking as someone who was raised by people like that.
Quote by vintage x metal

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Feb 21, 2008,
Quote by Jack Off Jill
No, I just happen to think it's wrong to contribute to a market that gets people killed, either through using something, or through buying/selling something. And if not killed, landed in jail. Or one that is detrimental to the home, as many kids get neglected by parents who are using, meanwhile the people who sell those drugs, or buy them, don't really think too much on that because they're more worried about their own selfish wants. And I'm not really just talking out of my ass, I'm talking as someone who was raised by people like that.

So, if we get one person out of the drug trade, everything will be alright!

She's no druglord, she'll move an 8 ball for a friend once in a month. That's like saying the guy that sold Jeffery Dohmer his groceries is an accessory to murder.
HEY!!! leave uncle jeff out of this. anyways.....i dont see how one 8 ball once a month is really doing anythig for your family.....its hard to believe thats all she does.
Page 1 of 2