Page 1 of 2
does anybody know of a guitar around $1000 that isn't made by gibson or Epiphone or any brand such as tokai, edwards, agile, etc. but can get that fat beefy tone and has a trem? thanks.
The Dean MLF has that. It's made of the same woods (Maple on Mahogany), not to mention shares the same general neck feel.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Ibanez SZ, Michael Kelly guitars (I think they have trem models), Schecter C1, Ibanez JS series.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by metalhead_365
ibanez s series

no

go gibson and put on a kahler
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
schecter hellraiser FR, fender mahogany special strat, jackson guitars in general...idk, there's alot
You need a mahogany+maple guitar, with old school humbuckers. You should try the PRS, or a Hagstrom (Super Swede and higher models)
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Ibanez SZ, Michael Kelly guitars (I think they have trem models), Schecter C1, Ibanez JS series.

+1 to the michael kelly,
and also you should look into malden, they have a jag shaped p-90 model that is amazing, and a few really fat toned HH guitars.
I don't want a gibson style guitar because everyone at my school has one and I want something different. I was highly considering the PRS though.
Quote by Grimpenguin
I don't want a gibson style guitar because everyone at my school has one and I want something different. I was highly considering the PRS though.

So you're putting off great guitars because everybody has one? That's a great reason!

Stay away from the SE series PRS guitars or be sure to try one if you plan on buying. They're a bit hit and miss. When you find a good one though, they sound and play great.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
So you're putting off great guitars because everybody has one? That's a great reason!

Seriously. Not having your guitar set you apart is more inspiration to have your playing do so.
If you have 1500 bucks, Look no farther than Carvin!
They make amazing quality instruments. If you wanted a guitar of similar quality, you'd be paying about
1800 at jackson
2000 at fender
3000 at gibson
etc, etc.
And you can get whatever you want on it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by spiderjerusalem
no

go gibson and put on a kahler

Did you even read the first post?
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Ok look guys, I came here for some serious opinions on which guitar I should get, right now I'm really looking at a PRS SE Paul allender model. Saw some vids on youtube and I'm gonna go try it out.

The reason being I don't want a gibson/epiphone/fender, is because everyone at my school has them and I hate just being generic with every1 else. I love the fat tone of LEs Pauls, but I would pay double to have that tone in a different shape/manufacturer. I'm just that way, if everyone was playing Ibanez, I'd play a Jackson. If everyone was playing Schecter, I'd play a B.C. Rich. It's just the way I am.
Quote by Grimpenguin
Ok look guys, I came here for some serious opinions on which guitar I should get, right now I'm really looking at a PRS SE Paul allender model. Saw some vids on youtube and I'm gonna go try it out.

The reason being I don't want a gibson/epiphone/fender, is because everyone at my school has them and I hate just being generic with every1 else. I love the fat tone of LEs Pauls, but I would pay double to have that tone in a different shape/manufacturer. I'm just that way, if everyone was playing Ibanez, I'd play a Jackson. If everyone was playing Schecter, I'd play a B.C. Rich. It's just the way I am.

You're a tool. If you play better than them it will stand out no matter what guitar you play. Get whatever tone you want.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
He's just commenting that it shouldn't matter what you play. The only things that should matter are your tone and your skills, and honestly, I agree. If you like the chunky, beefy, sustain-y sound of Les Pauls, don't let the fact that they're popular stop you from getting one.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Well its not just the fact that Les Pauls are popular, yea I wanna stick out dude but seriously, If you could get that tone in a doublecut with a trem, wouldn't you? I would.
Quote by Grimpenguin
Well its not just the fact that Les Pauls are popular, yea I wanna stick out dude but seriously, If you could get that tone in a doublecut with a trem, wouldn't you? I would.

You're not going to get the same tone out of the guitar anyways. The tone would be similar to the Les Paul, but nowhere near the same.

If you're looking for Les Paul tones, don't look for it in other guitars.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Check out the new Hagstrom Superswede guitars, cant get any closer unless you buy and old Hagstrom from about 77 - 81 (but they are probably mor expensive).The new ones are about $1000 - $1200 I think (Referring to Norwegian prices). This is value for money guitar, go google it, recommend it strongly...
lol. So you don't mind sounding like everyone else as long as you don't look like them? Makes sense to me. Music is all about looks nowadays.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by DrNick
He's just commenting that it shouldn't matter what you play. The only things that should matter are your tone and your skills, and honestly, I agree. If you like the chunky, beefy, sustain-y sound of Les Pauls, don't let the fact that they're popular stop you from getting one.

This man said just about everything I was going to say.
The key to a similar sound to a LP is a thick (emphasis) maple carved (not pressed) solid top on a reasonably thick mahogany body, with pickups at least as hot as Gibson 490's. The Carvin is a very good option. How about a Gibson Les Paul Doublecut?
Sad truth is if you want it to sound exactly like an LP you know what you have to do. Lots of guitars can get reasonably close.
I had to make this choice recently myself and I chose the LP Studio. I have multiple guitars so it wasn't as big a deal and I lucked out and had the cash. Try out a lot of different guitars and try to A/B them with LP's.
Hagstrom Swede and Super Swede should get you close, and you can be sure a lot of people won't have them.

The Swede is a Gibson-scale guitar and the Super Swede is Fender-scale. Other than that they're pretty similar. The Swede has a tone filter and the Super has a coil tap. They both have solid mahogany bodies, fast necks, and great tone and sustain. Pickups are an improvement from Epiphones. It's LP-style, but not an LP-copy.

You should be able to get very close to the LP sound with either of them. And the previous poster way overestimated the cost. These are $400-$500 guitars and represent great value for the money. They are distinct enough that they're not knock-offs, they're professional guitars, and they're very reasonably priced.

--- D
Find a used Epiphone Elitist '61 SG (they're discontinued so no chance of getting a new one).

Epi's SGs, thanks to Epiphone's thicker finish, tonally sound like a Gibson LP. The Elitist series is better quality than production Gibsons too (before anyone raises hell as they usually do; no, I am not saying they're better than a Custom Shop Gibson or forty year old vintage guitars with original PAFs. I am saying they are better than the current mass-produced Gibsons such as the Studio, Standard, Classic, etc).

So, if you don't mind buying used, you could have an SG that sounds like a LP.

Alternatively, I know The Hoosiers (obnoxious feux-'indie' band if you don't know) had a Telecaster built, with Les Paul Goldtop-style P-90's, a LP pickguard, the body made extra thick and of mahogany, and a maple top. In other words, it was exactly a Les Paul, but in the shape of a Telecaster and with a Tele headstock. I don't know if such things as this have been mass produced or if it was a one-off, but you could look into getting one of those. Note though that using such a guitar is like saying "I'm a complete ****, please kick my balls".

Though as many other people have said, not buying a certain guitar just because other people use it is completely stupid. Forced non-conformity is one of the most obnoxious, retarded things to bother with, and I don't mind telling you, it's grounds for a solid beating around the head here.
If you're different or do something differently because that's just who you are anyway, then fine. Good for you.
If you're different on purpose, just for the sake of being different, going out of your way to be different from anyone else, then you're just being a twat, pointlessly.
Quote by DrNick

+1. What he said.

Though... I'd have a hard time living with myself if the best feel and tone I got came from a pointy metal looking guitar.... hmmm.... I'd have a hard time living with myself, and would wonder if it would be my go to guitar.....

Check it out.... take your gear, pedals/amp etc, and go to the local music stores and play on a bunch of guitars. BE CRITICAL. The look of a guitar does should come as the last consideration when you are looking for your right fit. You'll know when you get the right one.... and when you do.... put it down, then come back the next day and try again...see if it still is the right fit.

That said... The PRS models are a fine alternative... don't shy away from the easier on the wallet Epiphones either. Drop some classic 57 pick ups or the 490 pick ups in and away you go to Les Paul tone land.....

OH, and once you decide and buy drop back to let us know what you got!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
I don't know why nobody has mentioned getting a used G&L ASAT DELUXE. They can be had for about 1000 used.........mahogany body, maple top, Seymour Duncan HBs. I use mine alot for the same stuff you want to play.......often in place of my LP because it weighs 1/2 as much and sounds GREAT!!

By the way, I also own a PRS SE, and it has nowhere near the balls of the DELUXE. It sounds ALOT thinner. In fact, I'd say my ASAT Z3 with the Z-coil pups, and my Strats all have a fatter sound than The PRS SE, along with the LP and my old Ibanez guitar from 1986. The PRS is the thinnest sounding of them all............
Ok well, a lot of ppl think I'm retarded and some think I'm alright

let me clear things up. It doesn't matter to me whether the tone is exact, get that through your head. I want a guitar that can get a les paul style tone (Bassy Middy tone not super twangy like the strat I have) and not be a les paul. Personally, I don't like the look of les pauls, people will flame for this, but I can't stand the look of em, and everyone has one too.

For the people saying that looks have nothing to do with the way I play, I would rather play a guitar that I think looks good and sounds good as well, than one that doesn't appeal very much to me looks wise. It's like saying you would rather drive a volkswagon bug over a ferrari if it had a bigger engine. Ferrari's stand out, little bugs don't, the bug might be better performance wise, but in the end the ferrari guy still wins. It's a matter of personal preference, I'm not trying to flame Les Pauls or be a dick by standing out on purpose, they're great guitars, but I'd rather have something else that's a bit more versatile. Is that too much to ask?

For the people asking what I'm getting, I'm leaning heavily towards the PRS SE paul Allender model, tried it out and It's great. The pickups aren't just for heavy metal, they really handle classic rock and blues as well. The tone of the neck pickup is outstanding and the bridge has a great lead tone. Plus 24 frets and bat inlays, how could it go wrong?

Anyways, theres a lot more stuff for me to try out so I'll see some other stuff ASAP.
Schecter Hellraisers sound pretty-darned comparibale
Guitar Gear: (Best To Crappiest)
1) Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus (Must Have)
2) Line 6 Flextone III XL (Go With The Triple Rectifier Setting)
4)Schecter Gryphon (Coil Tapper)
3)Fender Lite Ash Tele (Sweet Finish)
4Zoom Fire-18 Amp
If you want a double cut with a tremolo I'd say schecter. But Carvin and Washburn both came out with their own les paul spin offs that you might look into. The Washburn I'm thinking of is like a pilson xl or something along those lines, it's supposed to be all think like real les pauls but I'm not sure if it's got the maple top. As for the Carvins, they look fantastic but that's all I know about them as of now.
Quote by Rocker_94
How about an SG. Similar sound.

Sg's are badass but don't really sound or play like a les paul. Two totally different beasts.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.
Last edited by Bobbito315 at Feb 21, 2008,
Yea SGs are more trebly and less full sounding than Les Pauls, awesome lead tone though. Perfect for ACDC. Carvins are out of my price range, I'm 15 so i get literally no money, been saving up for years for this. I was looking at explorers too.

Right now here are my considerations:
-Used Carvin Singlecut with a trem (If I can find one)
-PRS SE Paul Allender
-Schecter C1 Classic with bigsby.
Page 1 of 2