Hello there, I've been using UG for some time now to get tabs, mostly for rhcp , and I thought who better to get advice from than people that know what they're talking about. Well I'm looking to buy my first electric guitar, budget of under 200, and I wanted to get some recommendations from you guys as to what I should lean more towards. Should I go with a value pack that includes the amp with the guitar or should I buy them separate, and If you guys could throw out a couple of makes and models that would help me out A LOT. I have an old acoustic that I've been using for a couple of months now but the sound is pretty bad. I appreciate all the help. Thank you guys!
Probably posted in the wrong forum... Anyway you will probably be okay with anything if you are relatively a beginner/novice. I would avoid "value" packs because I highly question their actual value. I would avoid getting a Squire. A lot of times they can be pretty crappily made. Other than that you should be okay with whatever you choose. I've been playing for 5 years and my first guitar is still the one I enjoy playing the most (has better tone than the more expensive ones too).
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Roland microcube is a decent amp. I think it's like $120. That would leave you with only an $80 guitar though.
I played on a friend's Fender Starcaster that costs like 90 bucks at WinCo, I thought it would be LOL, but it actually sounded good, and even though I'm more of an advanced player, it seemed easy to play, but you have to make sure you take it to a professional to get them set up right.... most cheap guitars come with crappy setups and crappy strings......

Other good beginner guitars are low-end Ibanez, Yamaha (they make great cheapy acoustics, I don't know about electrics), Epiphone, and Squier.....

Like that other guy said, be wary of guitar packs, they always come with ****ty amps that will blow out on you, and the guitars might be okay, but will always need a setup which costs between 30-50 bucks usually.....
Oh and BTW, a great beginner amp in a addition to the Roland is the Vox AD15VT, costs about 200-250 bucks and it has amp modeling and a tube preamp section with several effects and distortion, that will help you decide what kind of tone you like when you decide to buy pedals and higher-end amplifiers....

The Fender G-Dec doesn't sound as good from what I hear, but has backup rhythms and stuff to practice with and has a lot of effects and stuff, they seem pretty cool for a beginner.
ive been looking on guitar center's website, i dont know if anyone else in here has purchased from them before, and i found this squier that seems to be pretty good, from what people have said.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Special-Electric-Guitar-103125316-i1148535.gc?mode=1&qso=2

i might go with that and then just save up for a good amp. but ill be looking at some Ibanez, Yamaha and epiphone before i decide on anything. thanks for your advice, keep em coming if you got em...
dont order off of guitar center. go to your nearest guitar shop if you can so you can actualy play the guitar and see if you like it.
yea thats probably smarter. but guitar center is the only guitar shop thats around in my town so i that probably is gonna have to do for right now. well....there is this guitar shop right at the bottom of my street but i think its family owned, and its probably very pricey. i might just the names of the guitars they have then do some research online.
If you burn/bankrupt guitar center you lose musicians friend to =]

(Gc owns musicians friend)
Guitar Center isn't that bad.

I met a real nice guy there, he picked out some of the best guitars for that price range I was looking for. Sure enough I went on here and looked some of them up and they were all highly rated by UGers.

Maybe it's just my GC? =p
Quote by Delisster
Hello there, I've been using UG for some time now to get tabs, mostly for rhcp , and I thought who better to get advice from than people that know what they're talking about. Well I'm looking to buy my first electric guitar, budget of under 200, and I wanted to get some recommendations from you guys as to what I should lean more towards. Should I go with a value pack that includes the amp with the guitar or should I buy them separate, and If you guys could throw out a couple of makes and models that would help me out A LOT. I have an old acoustic that I've been using for a couple of months now but the sound is pretty bad. I appreciate all the help. Thank you guys!

Save more moeny. While there are a lot of decent acoustics for around $200.00 No electric under $200 is going to sound all that good, especially if that amount includes an amp.

If you must have an electric under $200.00, the Washburn WI-14's are
good for the money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Washburn-Idol-WI14-black-electric-guitar-kit-with-Amp_W0QQitemZ230225381331QQihZ013QQcategoryZ47074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you're into heavy rock...make sure you get something with humbuckers.
I used to be a necropheliac who was into sadomasochistic bestiality...

...'til I realized I was just beating a
dead horse.
Quote by JessicaGonzo
Get an ibanez guitar. Most of the cheap ones are okay.

I agree. Although they are mostly metal guitars, Ibanez has the best inexpensive guitars out there. If you aren't too big into metal, look up Agile.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
i have a schecter 006 deluxe diamond serise (see pics on my profile) and its a great guitar i love it.....new retail in store it costs 450$
Quote by original_idiot
Jew Trouble

Quote by guitarmang93
Nah i love the feeling of poo coming out. Its like being reverse ass ****ed.

Quote by jemocam
Lets teach them the meaning of CROTCH VIOLENCE!!!

GO GNOME OR GO HOME!

Join My Group!

Free The Pear!

Band's Myspace