Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
okay well you sort of had it right.
It goes

Guitar -> Preamp -> Effects loop send -> Effects -> Effects loop return -> Power amp
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
But if an amp has an effects loop, do you have to use it to utelize effects, or can you still use the "Guitar -> Effect -> Amp" method?

Obviously, you can, but what would the drawbacks be?
Quote by Freunleven
But if an amp has an effects loop, do you have to use it to utelize effects, or can you still use the "Guitar -> Effect -> Amp" method?

Obviously, you can, but what would the drawbacks be?

Yes, What would the drawbacks be?

And also, the guitar goes to the amp, and another cord goes out the amp, through effects, and back in? Thats what Im getting here
Quote by TaintedFearSBT
some effects like chorus and wah are more effective after the preamp

wrong. Wah is supposed to be before the amp. Delay, Chorus, Reverb etc. (echo effects) all sound better when they are applied after the distortion. The effects loop places effects after the preamp, so that these effects will sound better. Keep your overdrives, distortion pedals, and wahs before the amp though.
Gibson Special Faded SG with EMG 81 in the bridge
Peavey 6505
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Maxon OD 808
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss Tu-2 Chromatic tuner
Boss Ph-3 Phase Shifter
... ?
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Quote by nasadm
Quote by lopezmetalmunky
Super epic win. I love you now
Made siggable

Nice. now I'll be suing you.
So basically, effects that really change the sound before preamp, and echo effects after?
I could be totally wrong but from the research I did when I was faced with this question I thought it was best to put everything except the distortion (and maybe wah?) into the effects loop. I actually read somewhere that putting the distortion in the loop could do some damage to your amp but that could just be people being paranoid.
Distortion before them amp, with the amp on clean, and Wah in the effects loop

No damage will be done with distortion in effects loop, just sounds like poo
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
From my research, I've concluded this.

Distortion/Overdrive goes from your guitar into your amp.

Guitar > Wah > Dist/OD > Amp

Then effects, e.g. Reverb, Delay, Chorus, EQ's aswell I think.

FX Loop send > Effects pedals (Not sure what order they go in) > FX Return.

That could be totally wrong because I haven't tried it, but I'm getting an amp with an FX loop soon so this is useful to me as well.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
You don't have to use the effects loop if you don't want to. It's really a matter of opinion. The effects will sound different/stronger/weaker depending on where you put them. So just try both and see which you prefer.

Although, it is normally recommended to put modulation effects like chorus/flange/phase/delay/etc. after distortion/overdrive. So if you're using a distortion pedal through the amp's clean channel, you could put the modulation effects at the end of your effects chain (closest to the amp) between your guitar and the amp - or in the effects loop. And if you're using the amps distortion, it would probably be better to put them in the effects loop, but isn't mandatory.

Keep in mind that most stomp boxes are designed to go between the guitar and amp and will normally seem weaker or less pronounced in the effects loop.

The only effects I normally put in the fx loop are delay, looping, tremolo/vibrato pedals. Everything else, including phaser and chorus up front through the clean channel.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
You can have any effects anywhere, but many people prefer to have stuff such as compressor, wah, and overdrive before the amp, and stuff such as delay, reverb and chorus in the loop. You should experiment and find out how you want them.

Quote by Scenes
how about eq pedals?

You can have it anywhere, but it will do different things to your tone depending on where you put it. Experiment and see where you find the most use for it.

Quote by Guitartist
So if you're using a distortion pedal through the amp's clean channel, you could put the modulation effects at the end of your effects chain (closest to the amp) between your guitar and the amp - or in the effects loop.

Remember though that many distortion effects and similar will also push the preamp to overdrive.
Quote by Scenes
how about eq pedals?

It doesn't matter with the EQ, but most prefer the loop
"If you tell anybody about these trees.. I WILL CUT YOU!!" - Bob Ross

Gear
Ibanez RG470 | '87 Peavey Predator LMT
Peavey 5150!! | Vader 212!! | Crate GLX65
MXR Dime Dist | Crybaby | Boss TU-80 | ISP Decimator

My Band - Under the Blade
I've discovered that running thusly:

Guitar -> Dist. Pedal -> Amp -> Send -> Flanger -> Return

works very well. I'm just concerned about using both my Distortion channel on the amp, and my Distortion pedal at the same time. It's not likely to damage anything, is it?

(Paranoid questions from someone who just bought new gear, I know.)

Quote by Freunleven
I've discovered that running thusly:

Guitar -> Dist. Pedal -> Amp -> Send -> Flanger -> Return

works very well. I'm just concerned about using both my Distortion channel on the amp, and my Distortion pedal at the same time. It's not likely to damage anything, is it?

(Paranoid questions from someone who just bought new gear, I know.)

I wouldn't think it likely to harm anything (except ears). Why in the name of all that's holy would you want to run the distortion pedal through the distortion channel?

Gear

^Won't hurt a thing. It's actually common to use both the amps od and one in front to thicken the amps od up.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Here's how I run mine.
Guitar>Wah>Amp
Effects Send>Delay>Noise Gate>Reverb>Return

Anybody have any suggestions where I should run my whammy? I'm thinking before the delay in the loop.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Won't hurt a thing. It's actually common to use both the amps od and one in front to thicken the amps od up.

Meh, I guess it kind of depends on what amp you have... if you have a high gain/dist amp and you're running a distortion (not OD) pedal through it, **** can get fuzzy/muddy/crazy.

Gear

Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Here's how I run mine.
Guitar>Wah>Amp
Effects Send>Delay>Noise Gate>Reverb>Return

Anybody have any suggestions where I should run my whammy? I'm thinking before the delay in the loop.

it's best to put the wah between the guitar and amp, just like you have.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Farether
it's best to put the wah between the guitar and amp, just like you have.

That's where most people have the wah, but he didn't ask about that, he asked about the whammy

Quote by BleedDeathMetal

I'd guess that that's where you'll probably end up having the most control with it while still having it give a natural sound. You could even have it before the all others and it should still sound true to what an effect like that "should" sound like, but having it after delay and reverb could give some interesting effects also.