All right.

1. Usually, when it comes to faster playing such as when shredding, how fast can you pick (bpm), and how much practice did it take to get that fast? Also, do you prefer picking less, and playing more legato-style, or picking every note?

2. I started out on an old acoustic with really tough strings before getting an electric. Solos on my acoustic Fender were easy to play, once I got used to pressing down hard enough. But on my electric (when it's plugged in), I always get this open ringing when I change strings from pulling my fingers off. For example, I would play:

e--------------------
B--------------------
G--------------------
D----------6-7-9---
A---5-7-8----------
E--------------------

And by the end the A string would still ring. How would I go about muting the A string while still playing the D string?

Thanks!
1. um.. not sure what my bpm is but i can "shred" when necessary and for fun
just practice starting off slow with a metronome and build up until you can play every note you're trying to play to sound good and clean. i've been playing for 3 years but didnt really get good till just last year so be patient when getting better and dont give up. i like to pick every note but will do otherwise when i feel like it or when necessary
2. once you get used to speed or just playing fluently you're fingers will eventually take care of any imperfections in your playing
hope that helped and have fun playing
Send me off to bed forevermore.
1. Have no idea what my max speed it but I'm not interested either. Getting used to both legato and indivially picking each note is crucial to learning guitar.

2. Alot of the better pros use their picking hand to mute all the strings and open up a gap just for the string(s) they're playing, but over time, you'll natrually develop a technique for muting the strings.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
1. "Shredding" is not quite the style I'm into, (Blues Rock FTW) so I have no idea what my bpm is. I would suggest playing a speed lick slowly and speeding it up progressively if you want to work on your speed.

2. Ichimaru is right. It's all about muting with our picking hand. More specifically the fleshy part of the palm on the pinky side. Practice playing licks that switch strings and muting the strings you aren't playing. This will probably be difficult first so start slow.

I personally mute the strings lower (in tone, i. e. the E and A) than the one I'm on with my picking hand and the higher strings with my fretting fingers by flattening them just enough to damp the strings. Hope that helps!
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Thanks for the responses guys!

1. I was just wondering what a good speed to aim for would be. I do eighth notes with a metronome for scales, and go up five at a time.

2. I come from playing violin, so I've been told that my fretting hand needs a little adjustment for muting strings and covering wider frets and such. Should I work actively on muting the strings, or let it go on its own?

Thanks again, guys. This helped me a lot.
I can't shred, My speed is horrible when it comes to individual picking. My legato is fine, still not the best.

But to mute the strings (this is just my own way) I usually palm mute any string im not playing on. Like the others said, it's really up to you how you want to mute the strings.
You will probably start muting naturally as you get better (that's what happened to me), but there's no reason you can't start practicing it now. Muting definitely makes your playing sound much better!
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.