I was just wondering how to bands/artists make songs their own? Like Jimi Hendrix did with many songs, Van Halen with You Really Got Me, Guns And Roses with Knocking On Heavens Door and so on.

How do they get it to still sound like the original song, but with their own sound.
change the rhythm, timing, speed, key, style, sound (eg acoustic instead of grinding distortion), even change the genre. There are almost infinite ways you can achieve this, a silly question really, thats like asking "how do you write a song"?

Anyway, an example

lets say You are in a speed funk african metal band
you want to rearrange the beatles classic "yellow submarine"
increase tempo to double time, put guitars in drop c, add distortion, shred with african flavour and scream the words.

No doubt this would sound absolutely awful but you get the picture
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Thanks for the explanation.

I wondered if the same notes are played, but in different places
Quote by Egaot
Thanks for the explanation.

I wondered if the same notes are played, but in different places

Possibly. It's called voicing. I hardly play the way they played 'em anyway. All the music I played are played instrumentally and arranged as such. For example I took parts of BOC's Astronomy and Burning for you and made an instrumental piece called Astroburn. I turned the Beatles' I feel fine into a metal instrumental. Stuff like that and use your imaginations. Develop your own style (that can't be helped) and enjoy playing the guitar.

How many F notes can you find on your guitar? That's how many F notes you can use when you need an F.