Hi,

I've been interested in getting my hands on an older Japanese made Ibanez RG-550, but so far I haven't had much luck locally. The closest thing I've seen come up is someone selling an RG-570 (I don't know the year).

They both have 24 frets, H/S/H pick ups and a tremolo bridge, so I'm wondering if I should just go with the 570?

I'm sure the 570 will come with a later version of the Edge Bridge system but are there any other major differences?

Thanks
Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Ibanez S-470 with Seymour Duncans
Ibanez RG-321
Schecter Damien 6
Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry

Amps:
Kustom 12 Gauge
The one and only difference between the 550 and 570 is the routing direction. 550 - front routed with a pickguard, and 570 is rear routed without pickguard.

550 are often more desired solely due to their resemblance to a JEM.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
The 570s had both Edge and Lo-Pro Edges on them (both excellent), while I've only ever seen 550s with Edges (they might have had Lo-Pros at some point or another). The main difference though is that the 550 has a pickguard, while the 570 doesn't - PinkEdit: as Pifty said.
Okay, I'll just keep an eye out for the older 550. I'm not overly crazy about the color of the 570 I've seen for sell and I haven't ventured to Salt Lake (I live about 50 miles away) to check the shops up there.

My old teacher had an original 550 and always talked about how much he loved it. He had changed the pick ups and stuff, but he absolutely loved the guitar itself.

Thanks for your input.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG-321
Schecter Damien 6

Amps:
Kustom 12 Gauge
I'd look for a different 570, if I were you. Same thing as a 550, but will usually cost you twenty percent less for one of the same year and condition. Other than that, same guitar. If your teacher praises a 550, he'd praise the 570 just as well. Both came in a variety of finishes through the last twenty years.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Yeah, they're essentially the same axe with exception of the routing. Same hardware, same neck, same body wood, same bridge, etc...
They are pretty much the same, you can usually get 570's cheaper. The 550's are a bit higher priced and harder to find because the reputation for them is more wide spread than the 570's (despite being basically the same guitar) and some people do collect the 550's for various reasons (I think technically they are the first in the RG line of guitars and the last in the Roadstar line of guitars).

If you just want playability, either with work just as well. For certain modifications, having it front mounted can make them easier, but that is about it (for example, cutting an extra control knob spot in a pickguard is much easier then having to cut a hole in the guitar itself).
Thanks.

The RG 570 I was looking at is gone. I'm almost to the point I'm going to give up on the RG 550. I can't find one either.

In all honesty, how are the Edge III systems? I tried an RG5EX1:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-?sku=519786

At the store the other day and the trem just seemed flimsy and weak. I didn't know if it's just because I have a Floyd Rose on my Hellraiser and that's what I'm used to or what.

There is also a guy selling an RGT42DX for $375 I'm half considering. It all comes down to that Edge III system.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG-321
Schecter Damien 6

Amps:
Kustom 12 Gauge
I've had an RG560 before. I'm pretty sure the difference was that it was HSS.

one of the best guitars i've ever had, and i got it for like 300 bucks. the quality was so high, for the price, you wouldn't believe it.