whats the point of a distortion pedal if the amp already has a gain knob? i will admit, they sound amazing, but i don't see the point in getting one.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Have you ever heard a song where there are certain parts with high distortion and parts with low or no distortion at all?
some make guitar tones sound more scratchier then others... theres a bunch of different kinds that make a bunch of different tones for real... distortion on an amp just the same as distortion on a pedal.. but theres alot of different sounds to choose from if you try them out
becuase of the diffrent sounds they produce, plus unless you have a footswitch for your amp you have to turn it on/off by the switch/knob...which makes playing songs pain in the ass (ones that require dist at diffrent parts anyway)
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
if you dont see a point in geting one.. then dont get one., save your money
You said it yourself, you think they sound amazing.
But i've never been much of a distortion person. I like to preserve my guitar tone and use overdrives.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I have one because I wanted a more modern sounding distortion, for playing certain songs, than my amp provides, as nice as my amps distortion is.
It just provides a greater range of tones.
My stuff:
Fender Tele 60's Reissue
Schecter Blackhawk
Vintage V300 acoustic
Yamaha RB170 Bass

Peavey Classic 30 amp

Boss SD-1, DOD Grunge, Guyatone PS-010 Compressor, Marshall SV-1, Vox V847, Zoom G2, Line6 Echo Park
Quote by talia.
whats the point of a distortion pedal if the amp already has a gain knob? i will admit, they sound amazing, but i don't see the point in getting one.

You answered your own question there...
/CENTER]