not at all...you did want your guitar to sound like **** right?
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
I wouldn't recommend something of that nature.

The bow in the neck will cause intonation problems... for example: When you are doing the 5-5-5-4-5-0 tuning trick, your notes will match when the 5th fret of the low E string is matched to the open A string... but when you're actually playing a song, or even just a chord, the notes will be out of proportion from each other on the fretboard.

In other words, the extra distance between the fifth fret and the strings caused by
the bow would be the equivalent of bending the fifth fret when your neck is straight.

But it's your guitar and you should do whatever you feel suits you best.

Good luck!!
GO TO YOUR HOME, BALL!
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-- Frank Zappa
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."
-- Somerset Maugham
Quote by -blaze-
haha. truss rod.
what that is? i have no idea.

The "truss rod" is the narrow beam of metal that reinforces the neck of a guitar. Most of the time, it is located in a longitudonal routed out section of the neck and laid into place.

Generally, you can see the adjustment point around the area just beyond the nut (take a look at a Les Paul and notice the small plate under the area where the strings extend from the nut to the tuning pegs... the hex-headed truss rod is located right under it).

It's purpose is to strengthen the neck from bowing and twisting. Adjustments can be made in order to correct any alignment problems or, in this guy's case, add a slight bow to his neck.
GO TO YOUR HOME, BALL!
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-- Frank Zappa
-- Somerset Maugham
Quote by Punkrocka

The bow in the neck will cause intonation problems... for example: When you are doing the 5-5-5-4-5-0 tuning trick, your notes will match when the 5th fret of the low E string is matched to the open A string... but when you're actually playing a song, or even just a chord, the notes will be out of proportion from each other on the fretboard.

In other words, the extra distance between the fifth fret and the strings caused by
the bow would be the equivalent of bending the fifth fret when your neck is straight.

Good luck!!

In theory it's a good point, and can be a nuissance if let be. However, it's easily fixed with re-intonating the bridge.

Fact remains, truss-rod adjustments are just necesary at times.

just remember that when you adjust one thing, almost certainly you will have to adjust other things.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by Punkrocka

Good luck!!

What the hell are you on about? If the neck is too straight, the truss rod needs to be loosened. Necks aren't supposed to be perfectly straight.
^ +1

It's no big deal, just be careful.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by imtank
not at all...you did want your guitar to sound like **** right?

What is that suppose to mean? Bow neck does not effect the sound but playability.
Last edited by hminh87 at Feb 21, 2008,
Quote by Y00p
...Fact remains, truss-rod adjustments are just necesary at times...
Word.

Before I knew anything about adjusting a truss rod, the only way I knew to alleviate fret buzz was to jack up the action. After learning and getting confident in truss rod adjustment, I added relief to a couple of my guitars that desperately needed it.

After that, I was able to lower the action significantly and turn guitars that I liked into guitars that I love.

On that note, if adjusting the truss rod brought about a result that you're happy with and the neck doesn't look like its about to go pretzel on you, good for you. Just be sure to check the intonation like others have said
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by mr_hankey
What the hell are you on about? If the neck is too straight, the truss rod needs to be loosened. Necks aren't supposed to be perfectly straight.

Fine dude, "when the neck is straightER"

...sheesh... it's called speaking in general, and besides it's an individual preference as to how straight or bowed the neck of their guitar is -no exact right or wrong way to do it.
GO TO YOUR HOME, BALL!
-- Frank Zappa
-- Somerset Maugham
^ Word.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Go Vigier! No truss rod at all! Just Carbon Fibre =P
/CENTER]
Quote by pl0x
Go Vigier! No truss rod at all! Just Carbon Fibre =P

Haha yes, you're right. Say, if I'm not mistaken did Ibanez have a graphite neck or something that was similar in nature? or am I thinking of a different brand?
GO TO YOUR HOME, BALL!
-- Frank Zappa
-- Somerset Maugham
Carvin has graphite reinforcement IIRC.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
I always say... don't touch the truss rod unless you know what the **** you are doing. So unless you knew what the **** you were doing, it was probably a bad call, and I am assuming you didn't know, because you asked if it was okay.... get it fixed properly!
Quote by Yakult
Shooting mice is the equivalent to smoking weed: it's fun and seemingly harmless, but before you know it, you're shooting smack into every vein and murdering children left right and center.

GeEbZ.
Quote by jm1681
Carvin has graphite reinforcement IIRC.

Ahh yes! That's what I was thinking of.

Thanks!

Also, unless you're dealing with a very expensive guitar, I WOULD encourage some tinkering with it. In the end, you'll be better off and more experienced with the mechanics and schematics (if you deal with the pickups or anything of that nature) of the instrument.
GO TO YOUR HOME, BALL!
-- Frank Zappa
-- Somerset Maugham