Okay, so I want to know which guitar you guys think would be better, the Gibson Explorer or the ESP EC1000 LTD Deluxe?

My major influences are Tool and Lamb Of God and I plan to play, mostly, heavy metal. So yeah, what do you guys think?

EDIT - So yeah, let's try this comparison then, I was contemplating between these 3 and I need this final opinion from you guys... at least for now, haha. Thanks for putting up with me.
Last edited by Nikon87 at Feb 21, 2008,
go to this link you might like this guitar more
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_will.html
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Didnt you make a thread about this like a week ago... And clearly the EC1000 won comprehensively?
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by sheumack111
Didnt you make a thread about this like a week ago... And clearly the EC1000 won comprehensively?

Nope, this is the first time I've asked for advice between these two guitars.
Well regardless of your opinion of willie adler sig ESP all the way
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by slashedaxl103
If your planning to play heavy metal, no use looking at a les paul

+1000

I own an ESP EC 1000. Best "bang for your buck" guitar on the market IMO
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
Quote by slashedaxl103

lol what?

a gibson les paul custom is like one of the holy grails of heavy metal guitar.

prob not a studio but a custom and standard would do the trick.

but ec-1000 all the ****in way.
Alright well, I changed the thread up for one more guitar I really was considering, the Explorer, so what do you guys suggest, EC1000 or the Explorer? Again, mostly metal, but not restricted to and my major influences are Tool and Lamb Of God.
ec1000

get the ec1000 u wont regret it

unless u really want the explorer shape. the ec1000 rapes it. but if its an explorer at the same price with emg's then that'd be hard decision
Ec-1000

The LP studio has poor upper fret access, 22 frets, neck isnt anywhere near as fast
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by slashedaxl103

Yeah, right..

Quote by BAoxymoron
go to this link you might like this guitar more
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_will.html

Stupid flag inlay

I haven't tried the Gibsons but any LTD starting from the 400 series is good for the price.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
From what I've been reading, though, it seems that the ESP isn't that great for cleans. I want to be able to play clean and crunch. So I need something versatile, maybe that's why Gibson is so successful? I don't know, just asking, lol.
Quote by slashedaxl103

thats just stupid.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Listen to Gary Moore "Blues Alive" for ultimate LP shred. I would consider an LP or an Explorer if you have the cash. Also check out an SG Standard. I don't know anything firsthand about ESP. Carvin DC is also worth a look. In my opinion after owning a Carvin for 25 years they are the fastest set-neck guitars in the world, closely followed by the Gibson SG Standard.
Quote by bestscorer
gibson les paul studio w/ EMG81 and EMG 85.....that should do the trick

Or he could just get the EC-1000 which is better quality and cheaper AND already has EMGs installed
i don't know about the quality of ec1000 since i've never tried that guitar, it's true the esp has emgs but not 81/85....i play some trash metal and i find that the studio does a good job even with it's original pickups...i also prefer the gibson les pauls aesthetics more than the esp.if price is an issue than yes i guess the esp would be a better choice
A LES PAUL DOESN'T DO METAL??????!!

Anyway,

The EC 1000 is a great "bang for the buck" despite how much I hate that term. They really are nice guitars, they've made a very good name for themselves just by reputation in the past couple of years. The 400/500 are also similar with different tuning machines and some other insignificant nick-nacks (like abalone which is why I went with a matte black/ebony 500). I have a 500 with EMG's which looks plays and feels beautifully, and despite what people say the 60 on the neck does amazing cleans. The 81 - not so much - but the EC comes with 60 on the neck unlike the Viper model. But if you have a problem with EMG's like some people do - the Duncans would fit the bill nicely.
Quote by scwcd2
lol gibson
you'll get higher quality than a factory guitar
plus the gibson name is more impressive than the LTD
and the gibson LP sounds better to me
you can always add EMGs, but i would leave the stock pups cuz they're pretty hot
(I actually own a guitar w/ emgs, but the LP is pretty hot too) oh yeah and definately go with 81/60 set up if you want to change cuz the 60 is nice for cleans and slash-like woman tone solos

jeez...

Just try them both and get the one you like the most. Yes it's THAT simple!
I Like Cake
Quote by reservedforchoi
+1000

I own an ESP EC 1000. Best "bang for your buck" guitar on the market IMO

i would say ur wrong and dare to say the bigest bang for ur buck are the warbeast and the nj deluxe V of BC rich
My LP Custom with SD JB59' and Custom pickups works really well for metal... But I've heard EMGs are really decent for playing metal also... so you might want to check those out. Maybe go to a guitar store and try out the guitars you're thinking of?

Also, as mentioned before the ESP models have higher neck access, so if you are a lead player this may come in handy!

I'll tell you this though, if I ever get another guitar, I'll be going with the EC1000.
The ec-1000 has the 60 in the neck. With enough reverb and a little bit of delay you can get amazing cleans out of the 81 but the 60 has reli good clean sounds. not like a fender but u know. Your looking for a metal guitar. To me its the perfect guitar. The black on black looks brutal but the shape is classic. The pickups; in the booklet that comes with the guitar it describes the pickups. 81: The ultimate high gain pickup. The 60 has less output and will not drive the amp as much so you can get good clean sounds. As you can tell i love my ec-1000 and the only guitar that i would get next is another ESP.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Orange 1x12 Cab with Vintage 30's.
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11