So I made a number of threads for fuzzes and delays before but while looking through the used section of the local store I came across a gem....

An original military green Sovtek big muff. From what i've heard these are supposed to be great for Gilmour's tone and are nice pedals overall. I've searched for some on ebay but have been weary of buying online and I don't have any money.

However this looks too good to be true, i'm gonna try and get a ride and check out the pedal first thing tomorrow. It's supposed to be in good condition and they're charging $150.

I only have maybe $70 or so to my name, I don't know how i'd come up with the cash to buy the rest of it and if I manage to get the money, i'm in debt to whoever I borrow the money from and i'm flat our broke with no pocket or spending money.

So worth it? Are these green muffs as good as I hear? I'd be risking alot but a nice pedal like this that I can try and buy is quite rare. I don't know if $150 is a fair price or not though.

Edit: There's an 80's ProCo Rat as well but I heard the muff was better...
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 21, 2008,
Do it. If you don't, you'll kick yourself for years to come.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
if you hit harder times you can sell for a lot more cash
those are only going to get more collectable
exactly. i have a 1968 fender princeton amp, and i doubt the price would go down on that.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

^ I'm guessing the green one. He did say it was green afterall.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
^ I'm guessing the green one. He did say it was green afterall.

Both are green, I just missed the military part.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GREEN-SOVTEK-BIG-MUFF_W0QQitemZ330212610681QQihZ014QQcategoryZ41416QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sovtek-Electro-Harmonix-EHX-Big-Muff-VINTAGE-Green_W0QQitemZ140207742410QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41418QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$150 seems like an ok price. Don't know if you could sell it for more???
Quote by The Real Ming
Which Sovtek is it?

Yeah the green one at the bottom.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, i'm gonna figure out a way to go today I get the feeling a pedal like this won't be there long.

However is this original muff a whole lot better than BYOC? I listened to clips of the BYOC and it seemed pretty good so i don't know if the original ones are worth the extra cash.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Ok update, The muff sounded great, i've only played the black/yellow Russian muff and the NYC reissue and this green sovtek beat them all.

Sustained alot and I managed to get feedback just from touching the amp with the guitar headstock.

I talked to the guy about it's age he opened it up but we couldn't get a proper date. He also knew the guy who originally owned the muff, unfortunately the original owner was said to have passed away and his gear was sold back. ( I kind of feel bad for buying off a muff in this situation.... )

Anywho great condition, a couple screws missing and the tone knob is loose but everything works just fine. They said they'd lower the price to $130 or so as well.

My parents said they'd throw in the extra money i'd need but I feel bad about taking money form them to buy a pedal.

Now it's down to either getting this or saving some money and getting a BYOC large beaver.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 21, 2008,
^^$130? That makes things a whole lot more interesting I just PMed you back, so I'm not gonna restate much here, but it depends on what sound you are looking for. Like I said in the PM, fuzzes and muffs are two different sounds. Regarding their date, I believe Sovteks started being produced in 1990, so I'd guess most of those military green muffs come from the early 90s. Also, these things can take a beating, most of the used ones I've seen are missing something (usually the battery cover), so that's not really anything to worry about.

Quote by The Real Ming
Both are green, I just missed the military part.
Civil War Muffs are blue/white
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.