hey guys i been playing bass for awhiles now but i aint the best at it is there any techniques to learn i could use to help me get better faster etc
These walls are closing in, they're bound to suffocate me
Compled to live my life in ways I could never imagine
Can you save the dying eyes? Sentenced to never be free
I stand convicted of all your fucking lies.
just practice, theres nothing you can do get really good really fast. Unfortunately playing an instrument is'nt as easy as most people make it out to be, it takes lots of practice. To make matters worse you got little teeny douche bags who think that theres some method you can take to play like a god overnight, im no saying your one of those or anything, just saying you have to practice.
Quote by Filip413
just practice, theres nothing you can do get really good really fast. Unfortunately playing an instrument is'nt as easy as most people make it out to be, it takes lots of practice. To make matters worse you got little teeny douche bags who think that theres some method you can take to play like a god overnight, im no saying your one of those or anything, just saying you have to practice.

and those who can play make it look really easy lol
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Its been said before on the forum, bass, amongst other things, requires a bit of strength to play. Speed is a product of practice and accuracy and muscle tone/memory in your fretting hand.

Just as a weight lifter needs to start slow and build strength through repetitions, gradually adding weight, the same theory goes with your bass playing. My advice is that you either purchase a metronome or start religiously using the one you currently own. And then start running those drills (scales, arpeggios, spider exercises) as part of your daily routine. Start slow (lower BPM) and increase the speed only when you can play 5x with good tone. Over time your speed, stretch and muscle memory will improve.

Yes, its a gradually process; yes, its not fun for most people. But it works. And this is music, not instant coffee, so you are going to have to dedicate some seriously woodshedding time to get where you want to be.
Yeah, I'm with anarkee. He basically said it all. Only thing is, you should have told him some scales he could use to practice. Although I'm sure he can find them somewhere :P

TS, check out the practice sections and stuff on the lessons page, I'm positive there is alot of good information there.
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Quote by AccidentsHappen
Yeah, I'm with anarkee. He basically said it all. Only thing is, you should have told him some scales he could use to practice. Although I'm sure he can find them somewhere :P

TS, check out the practice sections and stuff on the lessons page, I'm positive there is alot of good information there.

For all the new folks, for the record I'm a "she". Yes, a chick bassist...lol

The reason I didn't mention specific scales, is because of the reason you mention. There are tonnes of threads about the workhorse scales we all use 60 - 70 % of the time.

If you have GP, the bass exercise thread referenced in the FAQ has a nice selection of drills based on scales and arpeggios.