I have a few friends that have been playing guitar, in between the 1-3 year range, and I have been playing for 3 months. One of them tells me that he learns a new song everyday. I am kinda mad because I can't do that, I don't understand how he does it. I end up trying a song and practicing it for a while. Like right now I am working on Back In Black by AC/DC. I've learned the main riffs, and I want to learn the solo very badly so I have been working on it for a week, and having a hard time with it still, but I am slowly learning it, and I just really don't understand how my friends learn so quickly. Should I just stop trying this solo if I cant handle it? I also feel the need to learn as much songs as I can, and push myself, because ever since my friend said this to me "Oh I have been playing for 1 year and I know like 1000 songs maybe more!".

Does it really matter how many songs I know, and does it also matter if take my time learning songs and solos? I'd really like to know what I should do.
Last edited by Kash1333 at Feb 21, 2008,
The solo of Back In Black after 3 months, it's possible but will be very hard I imagine. Don't worry about it, you will get faster, it's just time and practice. And it doesn't matter how many songs you know, it's good to learn lots of different songs, but scales and modes are just a important if you ever plan on writing.
Learning the whole song isn't as important as getting the key techniques down. When your friend was at 3 months I really doubt he could play that solo either. I've been playing a year and half and I still can't play it (I probably can but its too much effort to learn :P).
Don't worry about the solos for the moment if they're too hard. For some easier ones, try Smells Like Teen Spirit and American Idiot.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Kash1333
I have a few friends that have been playing guitar, in between the 1-3 year range, and I have been playing for 3 months. One of them tells me that he learns a new song everyday. I am kinda mad because I can't do that, I don't understand how he does it. I end up trying a song and practicing it for a while. Like right now I am working on Back In Black by AC/DC. I've learned the main riffs, and I want to learn the solo very badly so I have been working on it for a week, and having a hard time with it, but I am slowly learning it, and I just really don't understand how my friends learn so quickly. Should I just stop trying this solo if I cant handle it? Does it really matter how many songs I know, and does it also matter if take my time learning songs? I'd really like to know what I should be working on right now.

hi dude, i have been learning the guitar for a little less then 3 months as well. i took almost 2 months to learn my first song, and another 1 month to nail the second song. and for both songs i'm still struggling with the solos. i'm fine with chord changes, but i simply suck with solos. so i would say, take it easy and just have fun! i would think that it doesn't really matter how long we take to learn a song. its all about having fun and enjoying the process isn't it. i hope this helps
It' not all about jumping right in and learing it all straight off. i find that if i slow it down then eventually get tit goin faster it's a whole lot easier.like Ichimaru sez take it easy and learn easier songs.trust me cos my m8 has been playing for about 3 yrs now and he was trying (still is) to play dream theater solos after 1 and 1/2 yrs
Quote by Ichimaru
Learning the whole song isn't as important as getting the key techniques down. When your friend was at 3 months I really doubt he could play that solo either. I've been playing a year and half and I still can't play it (I probably can but its too much effort to learn :P).
Don't worry about the solos for the moment if they're too hard. For some easier ones, try Smells Like Teen Spirit and American Idiot.

What do you mean getting the key techniques down?

And I do know the Smells like Teen Spirit solo.
Quote by Calgar24
It' not all about jumping right in and learing it all straight off. i find that if i slow it down then eventually get it goin faster it's a whole lot easier.like Ichimaru sez take it easy and learn easier songs.trust me cos my m8 has been playing for about 3 yrs now and he was trying (still is) to play dream theater solos after 1 and 1/2 yrs

Yeah but since the beginner song thing is down I don't really know what to give a try. I am really into metal, rock, classic rock, blues and I just want to try something new right now that isn't too hard but has a good sound. I think I am gonna give solos a break for a little longer.
i've been playing for ages and i can't play many songs, mainly because i just don't like that many songs, it kinda sucks but atleast i'm getting to a stage where i have enough songs / riffs / scales / chords to keep me interested enough to jam for a decent amount of time now
Quote by Kash1333
What do you mean getting the key techniques down?

And I do know the Smells like Teen Spirit solo.

He means learning things such as hammer ons, pull offs, slides, and pretty much just learning the fundamentals to playing a song. As you progress you sort of learn to learn faster, and being practiced at techniques helps alot.
Don't get impatient learning to be a great guitarist is a marathon not a sprint. I've been playing for 5 years and I'm far from legendary. People play this instrument for all their lives and still might not be amazing, but that's ok. I think those friends who say that they could play 1,000 songs after their first year are: 1) Full of Sh**. 2)Might know a lot of songs but can't play them cleanly or correctly. 3) Probably don't know anything that difficult. and 4) Know nothing about music theory so they are more like a mp3 player playing back a worse version of a song rather than a real musician.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Quote by PekarGuitar
Don't get impatient learning to be a great guitarist is a marathon not a sprint. I've been playing for 5 years and I'm far from legendary. People play this instrument for all their lives and still might not be amazing, but that's ok. I think those friends who say that they could play 1,000 songs after their first year are: 1) Full of Sh**. 2)Might know a lot of songs but can't play them cleanly or correctly. 3) Probably don't know anything that difficult. and 4) Know nothing about music theory so they are more like a mp3 player playing back a worse version of a song rather than a real musician.

Amen
Pekar is right. However after 1 year of playing you can learn a song in a day. But that doesn't mean it sounds good, or is up to speed.

Songs with solos I doubt he knows though.
well if he can learn a full song with solo in one day and has only been playing for a year either he has great natural talent or it sounds like a**
Quote by esp-ltd
well if he can learn a full song with solo in one day and has only been playing for a year either he has great natural talent or it sounds like a**

Yeah, each day have him play his new song for you. Jack of all trades - master of none?!?