So I have this old guitar sat in the corner of my room just collecting dust and what not.. Its never ever ever played.. i bought it off a friend for 20 pounds when he got fed up with guitar.. It only cost him about 50 new..

I thought today that I could spruce it up a bit.. (Hey, its the summer holidays and i'm a bored teen).. It could be a little half term project..

Is it at all possible to like, cover it in paper or whatever, glue it down and then like.. varnish over the top? Thought it could be fun to try something like it..

Any help would be great
Cheers
that sounds rather interesting! here's some advice:

be careful of permanent modifications to your guitars look, in case you don't like it.

Learn to play guitar first!

also is it electric or acoustic?
I already play guitar... and I play bass as well (Just starting on that though) and its not the only guitar I have.. So if it goes drastically wrong I wont lose any sleep over it..

Its an electric.. doesn't even have a make or brand name on it .. I don't have a clue what make it is.. Strat style .. thats all I can tell you really..

I was thinking maybe like.. newspaper or something like that?
ok cool.

well, personally i'd go for painting it, or getting a fancy pickguard, but if you covered it in newspaper that would be an original look! maybe make it all articles about bands and such?

i don't know if you'll be able to glue the paper on or not, which is your problem which i didn't really help with... maybe do some tests on the back of the guitar with newspaper to see if it works!
Yeah the article thing was exactly what I was thinking..

Great minds think alike

I just don't know like what glue to use or anything like that..

I'm going to town soon.. So I'll just shop around looking for anything that could help.. try asking in some stores..
awesome. ok yeah look around, and ask if the glue you need to get will stick to paint, or if you need to sand the guitar!

good luck with it!
Quote by Dust N' Bones
So I have this old guitar sat in the corner of my room just collecting dust and what not.. Its never ever ever played.. i bought it off a friend for 20 pounds when he got fed up with guitar.. It only cost him about 50 new..

I thought today that I could spruce it up a bit.. (Hey, its the summer holidays and i'm a bored teen).. It could be a little half term project..

Is it at all possible to like, cover it in paper or whatever, glue it down and then like.. varnish over the top? Thought it could be fun to try something like it..

Any help would be great
Cheers

go for it man!

just don't do anything to drastic lol :P
Give the guitar a thorough sanding with 400 grit sandpaper to roughen up the surfaces. Make sure the paper is perfectly flat before you start applying it. Spray one surface of the guitar at a time with contact adhesive, then start applying the paper. Make sure you also spray the area's where the paper will overlap. Be extra careful around the bevels to make sure the paper doesn't rip, which will just make it look messy. After you've got the whole thing covered, make sure it's all flat and totally air-bubble-less, then you can start the final finishing. Look in the refinishing thread to hints on how to get a good clear coat.
Make sure you don't get any paper or clear in the neck pocket.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
A while ago i wanted to do the same thing and saw a pic in the Customization Gallery sticky. Here's the message (from Mr.Peaches!):

Quote by Mr.Peaches

hi there, sorry about me not ever responding to this message lol... but what i did was pretty easy, actually, and this was my first guitar refinish. First off, you take the pickups out of the guitar, the knobs, and whatever else is sticking out. after i did that, i just roughed up the top of the guitar with some medium grit sandpaper, but i don't think it's necessary. After that, you take some glue or something (i used mod-podge) and coat the body of the guitar with that, then lay your cards down so that they're flat. the hard part about that was getting around the tone and volume knobs, i just cut small square parts around the cards, but it's hard to see. you have to be kind of quick about putting the cards down, but you can always do sections of cards at a time. after that you just wait for it to dry. when it's dry, you need to take an exacto knife or a utility knife, which is what i used, and just trim the cards around the edge of the top so it's pretty smooth looking. no jagged ends. then you can move onto the pickup cavities, then the neck pocket, if you're using a guitar with a bolt on neck. so now you've got a guitar with cards on it, but what to do for the finish? i used an el cheapo kind of spray on clear coat for the body, but in retrospect, i should have just mod podged over the top, then used a better clearcoat for an even glossier finish. well, once you have your finish on and dried, it's time to do the knobs! i suppose you could buy knobs that look like dice, but i didn't have any knobs like that, so i just took some old dice that weren't being used, drilled them out (i left the side with 5 dots on top) so that they fit snuggly around the pegs the old knobs were on, then pounded them down lightly, so i wouldn't damage the pots or anything. also you'll see the armwrest on the guitar, that didn't come with it, i just used an old banjo armwrest! purely asthetic though. i didn't do anything to the back of the guitar, just sprayed the clearcoat around the body so it looked about even. well, all that's left to do after getting the new knobs on is to reassemble the body, which is pretty easy, then string it and tune it up. again, i'm sorry it took so long to respond, i just never check my messages... turns out i had 4 or 5 unread ones! i hope this helps you a bit

EDIT:
And here's the post where the guitar he's talking about is located!
3rd post from the top here
Last edited by minichibi at Feb 21, 2008,
Cram the guitar full of M-80s and throw it in a fire! (I've always wanted to do that...)

You could glue a band shirt or w/e to it and lacquer over it. I've seen it done a few times before. It's really hard, though.
So uhh paper is now stuck on.. looks pretty good.. i'll post some pics of it soon but i need to know what sort of varnish to use.. Got a nice tub of Outdoor Varnish sat here.. will it do or what?
I just asked my friend about it, and he said instead of varnishing it, I should use PVA and water...

I then asked someone else, and they said it might work.. I think it's a good idea too, considering it is covered in newspaper..

I thought I'd ask some people here first..

Just added a picture of the front onto my profile.. the backs the same as the front..

It still needs some stuff added to the front, I just wanted to get like.. an undercoat of paper .. Also needs touching up, couple of loose bits here and there..

And does anyone know who the guy on the front is? My friend was helping me with this, and that head just appeared out of nowhere.. So then he stuck it on a dogs body.. and I stuck it on there

We still dont have a clue who he is/where he came from..
Last edited by Dust N' Bones at Feb 22, 2008,
I've nearly finished it now.. Just needs some touching up.. You can see the pictures on my profile..

I really want to do something with the frets as well.. My friend suggested painting them different colours.. Do you think I should just leave them alone or what?

Any suggestions would be great..
that looks surprisingly nice man, if you squint your eyes it kinda looks like a gigernez lol the giger ibanez i mean
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
If it was a maple fretboard I'd go w/ black frets, but since it looks like rosewood I cant think of much to do w/ it. I'd say find something to "dirty up" the pickguard. The body looks awesome though.
You sould really relic the pickguard up a little... It looks odd how the pickguard is so clean compared to the rest of the guitar. I think you're supposed to soak the pickguard/knobs/pickup covers in coffee...?

But yeah: it looks awesome.
Quote by minichibi
You sould really relic the pickguard up a little... It looks odd how the pickguard is so clean compared to the rest of the guitar. I think you're supposed to soak the pickguard/knobs/pickup covers in coffee...?

Me agrees. maybe not necessarily soaking it in coffee but something to mess it up
Quote by minichibi

Coffee works, but tea works better.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.