i was looking at my les paul yesterday, and i realised that the top is about 5mm of flame maple veneer, and it got me thinking, just how flexible are these veneers ?

could an ibanez S series be done in one?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Five millimeters of veneer? Are you sure that's veneer?
------------------
well i'd consider it to be,
a proper top should be at least 1/2"
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Most places that sell wood for tops of solid body guitars advertise 1/4 inch maple, etc. Which is not far from 5mm. Maple for tops is pretty expensive stewmac gets 75 bucks for book matched curly maple. Flame maple is more so 1/2 thick would be well over a hundred dollars or 20% of the cost of an epi LP. Most tops are just veneer.
yeah 1/4" is 6.35mm, so close enough, what im asking though is if say a 2mm veneer bends easily, becuase the S series has a carved top?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Yeah, but don't some LPs come with carved tops? So it should work just the same.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru
Yeah, but don't some LPs come with carved tops? So it should work just the same.

The LPs are actually carved out of thick slabs of maple.. he's talking about bending a "veneer" over a carved top. I'm pretty sure it can be done, and if it the wood doesn't wanna bend you could always steam it.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I remember seeing an article a few years back in i think Guitarist magazine where they veneered an RG, basically they steamed the veneer onto the contours. An S series whould however be a bit hard to do id think as the contouring is alot more pronounced than the arm carve on an RG. I expect its possible with alot of time and patience though.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
I've bought veneers off eBay and laid 'em down on top of carved top guitars to take a old goldtop or studio and make it into a figured maple monster.. so yes, it can be done.