i have a song that i recorded. there are the main vox and background vox in the last chorus. they sound good together, the only problem is I have to sing them both for lack of another singer and it just doesn't sound right.

i haven't really eq'ed the background vox. are there frequencies i can cut that would differentiate them a little bit? the song is on my band Fastlane's myspace (I believe the link is in my sig) and it's called Burning Daylight.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Well, for one, you can have on more in the left ear, and one more in the right at the end. Perhaps sing the background vox as falsetto? Or an octave higher? Also, I'd turn up the background vocals a little, and maybe re-record them a little sharper. They're pretty hard to make out. I do some home recording too, but I'm nothing great, so I'm not sure if this'll help.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
To get decent sounding vocals, you must use compression. Just about every music editor has some sort of compression, and there are a lot of VST plugins available out there that do compression.

It's just like a compressor on a guitar, you take out the peaks and bring up the valleys... it smooths out the words that pop to loud and makes it sound more professional. This is not that easy to do really well. You could spend a while on youtube watching tutorials on it.

I say all that because on this track it sounds like you need some compression on the vocals.

As far as mixing the backing vocals with your lead, you could always put the main vocal dead center and then double the backing vocals - putting one down the left side and one down the right side. If you sing it twice and try to get it really close on both takes, the two takes played in separate speakers will have a big effect. You may not need to pan each one 100% to each side, but only 25 or 30% and it will start to sound cool.

Spend some time and try this stuff out, you may find you like it.

Also, on the doubled vocals point, professional recordings typically do a lot of that with the lead, even. Running two takes together can make it sound pretty strong. You just have to sing it several times and keep a couple takes that sound really close to each other.

check mine out? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792782
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music