im thinking about starting to record guitar but first i need to get some new gear. i have an Ibanez S520EX with stock pickups and i play thru my Fender Rumble 60 bass amp. im thinking about getting a valveking royal 8 5w tube amp and a few pedals before buying more recording stuff (i have a guitarport, fl studio, sony acid pro). if i ever have to play live, would micing the amp with an SM57 work well?
Yes, it would work well.

What kinda tone are you going for? I've heard good things about the Royal 8, but only from a few people.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah, it would work nicely, and you could crank it as much as you want live as a result.

As for recording, it should be OK. I really suggest you try it first though.
ill try it of course. i just wanted to know if i could use a 5watter for all purposes. i play billy talent, avenged sevenfold, fall of troy, coheed and cambria, breaking benjamin, linkin park, ensiferum, a bit of chili peppers.
Quote by Sound Mind
if i ever have to play live, would micing the amp with an SM57 work well?

...i play billy talent, avenged sevenfold, fall of troy, coheed and cambria, breaking benjamin, linkin park, ensiferum, a bit of chili peppers.

Would you be playing with a band? 'Cause I don't think you'd even be able to hear yourself thru a 5W amp on stage with drums and another guitar. Especially if you're playing heavier music.

A 5W amp is great for recording, but I'd suggest a bare minimum of 15W for gigging - if not 30W.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Would you be playing with a band? 'Cause I don't think you'd even be able to hear yourself thru a 5W amp on stage with drums and another guitar. Especially if you're playing heavier music.

A 5W amp is great for recording, but I'd suggest a bare minimum of 15W for gigging - if not 30W.

not even if i put a mic in front of the amp and plug that into the PA?
Your audience would hear you, but you probably wouldn't hear yourself. It would be different if you were playing indie or something, but even then I think it would be a struggle.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.