So, after flipflopping around on all sorts of beginner guitars, I think I've finally settled on an LP-100. I just wanted to know if there were any major problems with it, and just the general opinion. A particular concern of mine is that is stays in tune well, even after bends.
it stays in tune pretty well, i had one for over a year and loved it after i replaced the pickups, that thing sounded awesome with the pickups i put in it, i kinda regret selling it because now i'm wanting another LP shaped guitar
If you're set on it then ya, go for it but a used MIM strat like someone up there ^ said would probably be better short and longrun. Especially if you want to get upper fret access.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
They arent bad guitars. I have one but its been modded alot. The epi QC is pretty spotty so you want to try one at the music store to find a good one. Getting one mail order is 50/50 of getting a decent one. The one MF sent me the bridge pickup wasnt working and had left hand pots with right hand knobs, 10 was off 1 was full blast. And the tuners on mine were pretty much junk, a set of good grovers that drop in with no new holes is 35 bucks.
It's a pretty good guitar for the price.
People betch about it having a terrible neck or not staying in tune well.
I had one for a couple of weeks (i'm a wheeler and dealer) before I sold it.
I liked the neck and tone. It'd be perfect for jazz and rock or whatever.
I still like my strat better though. The LP did have better sustain then my strat though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Here's my opinion of it.

It's not even a Les Paul. I mean technically, that's not my responsibility to decide, but I don't think it is. It's an alder-mahogany sandwich with a bolt on neck. That breaks almost every rule that defines an LP. I wouldn't get one, even for a starter really. Sorry.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Don't buy it.

It's a substandard starter guitar.

Get a Xaviere from Guitar Fetish.

It'll be cheaper and FAR better.

The Rogue HH Ash is also a good choice, but the Xavieres are cheaper.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by dudetheman
Here's my opinion of it.

It's not even a Les Paul. I mean technically, that's not my responsibility to decide, but I don't think it is. It's an alder-mahogany sandwich with a bolt on neck. That breaks almost every rule that defines an LP. I wouldn't get one, even for a starter really. Sorry.

I'm not sure that is true. I'm quite positive the body is mahogany with maple top on the lp100 it is the epi specials that are alder/mahogany
Quote by mitchp420
I'm not sure that is true. I'm quite positive the body is mahogany with maple top on the lp100 it is the epi specials that are alder/mahogany
No. The LP-100 is one of the cheaper Epis, and is made with the inferior, incorrect body and neck woods.

The low end Epis (Studio, 100, Special-II, Junior) should never be touched - ever. A Standard is the minimum you should ever buy. Ever. Ideally, you should be aiming for a Custom. Yes, even if you're a total beginner.
Quote by bokuho
No. The LP-100 is one of the cheaper Epis, and is made with the inferior, incorrect body and neck woods.

The low end Epis (Studio, 100, Special-II, Junior) should never be touched - ever. A Standard is the minimum you should ever buy. Ever. Ideally, you should be aiming for a Custom. Yes, even if you're a total beginner.

Definitely. The custom is not only one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen, it will last a beginner for years and years and it's still good enough to play even when you turn pro.

Then if you want you could just change the pickups to tweak your tone a little and you have an awesome guitar that you will never want to sell, unlike some cheap Epiphone that you will eventually list on ebay
That's actually exactly what I planned to do. I realized that there wasn't really any good guitar that would play well and grow with my for under $400 bucks. I was looking at Epi Standard Tops and was wondering if the customs are worth the extra bucks.
Quote by bokuho

I understand it is a cheap model with a bolt neck but on the Epiphone site it says the body is mahogany with maple top. I'm sure it is low quality wood but it is still solid wood like the higher end models. here is the specs.
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=42&CollectionID=6
Quote by mitchp420

I was looking over the MF website making sure, and look what I found:

What in God's name is it made of?!?!

That should be enough to deter anyone.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
^Who cares? Anybody who is naive enough to buy it doesn't care anyway.

Quote by Parabellum
That's actually exactly what I planned to do. I realized that there wasn't really any good guitar that would play well and grow with my for under $400 bucks. I was looking at Epi Standard Tops and was wondering if the customs are worth the extra bucks.

Michael Kelly Patriot Vintage

Far better guitar than any Epiphone in the same price range.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by dudetheman
I was looking over the MF website making sure, and look what I found:

What in God's name is it made of?!?!

That should be enough to deter anyone.

Huh! i never noticed that before about the lp100's. i recently had mine apart and im sure it is solid wood. BUT i also have an epi sg special the cheapest of the cheap and that is very noticeably plywood.