New poster

...So I'm a beginner but getting better and wondering if I should upgrade. Right now all I have is an Excel electric guitar and a small $50 amp... both were gifts. I know it's about the cheapest setup one can have, but this is my main question...

Would getting a guitar like the Yamaha Pacifica or maybe a Squier along with a better amp (like a $100-120 Vox or Cube or something) be a significant upgrade? Or is it basically just going from one lame guitar to the next? I know that if I stick with it I'll eventually need to move up from these lower end guitars... but I want something that will suffice for the next few years. I feel like my Excel guitar (which I assume is like a Target brand or something?) is pretty crappy and I want at least a semi-decent guitar, that's all.

Also, I mention the Pacifica cuz I've heard very good things about it as far as beginner guitars go. Any other suggestions for lower end guitars for around $175-$225?

Thanks guys!
Save up a little more and get an ibanez and a roland microcube.

Usually ibanez has good cheap guitar, dont get one with a tremolo bar because they arn't great.

If you have an esp dealer around, they have some nice/cheap guitars. Make sure you try them out first.
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by icon_player_5

+1 my starter pack lasted me for my first year of guitar

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I got the IJX40 as my first about 5 years ago, i still pull it out from time to time just to see how it feels, and its not too bad.
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Cool thanks guys. Also, any opinions on guitars like the ESP Viper (and similarly priced ESP models)?
I started with excel too....and i basically still play it everyday... =
Marijuana is not a drug! its simply a plant
I heard the viper was pretty good. If you can afford that with a decent amp it's much better then starter kits.

I used to have one of those ibanez starter kits. They are pretty bad, my amp broke within a month. Good thing I took it back =p
I don't know about Excel guitars but I had the Ibanez jump start pack and while it is a good little beginner guitar I can't imagine it's that much better than what you have. Save up and upgrade your amp first with one in the $200 to $300 (Roland Cube would be a good choice for SS Black heart for tube) range and then get a guitar in the $300 to $500 range(Ibanez and Schecter both have good Guitars in that range).