So i'm thinking about outting a tremolo arm on my Gibson Les Paul. I don't know anything about how it will affect the rest of the guitars sound, or wether it's even possible. So what i'd like to know is how it would affect my guitars sound, its ability to stay in tune, and wether or not you think it's a good or a bad idea.

any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Bad idea on both les paul and SG

Les paul because the tuning stability just goes, and, depending on the tremelo system, it will greatly effect the sustain and beefy-ness a les paul has if it needs to be routed out, there are systems that don't require this, but i don't think they're any good.
It can be done, but i won't recommend it

The SG, simply isn't thick enough for a routed tremelo, unless the block is cut down, thats where it can all go wrong, and simply cannot be done without profesional tools. Again, some tremelo's don't need routing, but as i said, i wouldn't reccomend them
Quote by TomR
Bad idea on both les paul and SG

Les paul because the tuning stability just goes, and, depending on the tremelo system, it will greatly effect the sustain and beefy-ness a les paul has if it needs to be routed out, there are systems that don't require this, but i don't think they're any good.
It can be done, but i won't recommend it

The SG, simply isn't thick enough for a routed tremelo, unless the block is cut down, thats where it can all go wrong, and simply cannot be done without profesional tools. Again, some tremelo's don't need routing, but as i said, i wouldn't reccomend them

thanx

you probably saved me from ruining my SG

some jerk woulda offered to install it, I'm sure, without warning me of the risks