Page 1 of 2
i want a tube amp, i've been reading threads and so and have seen that tube is the best and i know how they work and all that but haven't seen any kind of list of what amps there are, they seem like the underground type of amps and most people only know the mainstrem i guess..... and it could also be used to make a future list of tube amps of any price and save work to me and many more that need this information and to those that give us the information

the only ones that can fit me that i've found are:

- PEAVEY VALVE KING 112
- KUSTOM DEFENDER

and these hibryd although i don't think they're so good... could also be indicated in the possible future list

- LANEY LV300
- MARSHALL AVT50X
- VOX AD30VT
- VOX AD50VT
- Randall RG 75 G3

would like that everyone could indicate me more tube amps or some very good hybrids, my price range is to a max. of 450 €, about 660 USD
thank you everyone
its all kind of styles, a little bit more rock mainly.. some like nirvana, metallica, queens of the stone age, porcupine tree....
yeah im thinking of one to gigs in the future
50 watts of tube amp will be good enough
Last edited by Nemesis Phenix at Feb 21, 2008,
go on ebay, you can always snag great deals there. i just got a mesa/boogie for under $600!
metal is what makes a tube amp sweet
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
its going to be balanced between metal and more soft, maybe not that much of metal... a 40% metal 60% not that metal... and the pedals will have to wait because of the money.... i have a ZOOMGFX5 multi-effects pedal
i dind't think something of mesa boogie could be so cheap...................
Portugal
dsubstance, would you please stop recommending VC30s with a tubescreamer for absolutely everything? Thanks.

Nemesis : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

or

http://www.music123.com/B-52-AT-112-60-Watt-1x12--Tube-Combo-Amp-480046-i1170731.Music123

Just to let you know : The Valveking sounds like a fat man crushing sugar puffs between his cheeks.
yeh i had that one on the list, i think itrs the best but i would like to explore all the possibilities
i had also seen the randall but i don't now much of the brand.. is it good? does it have good quality? the B-52 i've never heard of....
i'm in portugal but there are many stores in europe and the shipping costs aren't that high, something around 20, 30€ tops
So the champion of VC30s proclaims, get a Valveking. Your wise words are becoming less, er, wise.

So to speak.

If he's determined enough to get a good tube amp, he'll find a way of getting one.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rg50_tc.htm

Try saving for that. But it's mostly a metal-oriented amp, so it will do high gain better than anything else. You could also look for a Hughes and Kettner 20th Anniversary Edition Tube, which is pretty versatile, though might need a boost for metal. And those Bugeras are available from Thomann, so those may be worth a look. Again, mainly metal, but I'd still advise you to try one of them.
You said get the VC30 and a tubescreamer. Now, I wouldn't want that combination myself, but from my experience of VC30s, I'd imagine a tubescreamer would put it into metal territory, or thereabouts? If that's the case then the VC30 will still have enough gain for what he wants and sound a bucket load better than the VK. While, yes, the cleans on the VC30 are far better than the VK, it doesn't sound to me as though he needs perfect cleans.

So, I still think that the Randall is the best option. Sure, the cleans aren't great, but they'll be a damn sight better than what he's probably got now, and the OD will probably blow his socks off. Now if that isn't a good way to start buying tube amps, I don't know what is.
but then again having crappy cleans isn't anywere around a good ideia...
oh man this is confusing
Quote by Don_Humpador
You said get the VC30 and a tubescreamer. Now, I wouldn't want that combination myself, but from my experience of VC30s, I'd imagine a tubescreamer would put it into metal territory, or thereabouts? If that's the case then the VC30 will still have enough gain for what he wants and sound a bucket load better than the VK. While, yes, the cleans on the VC30 are far better than the VK, it doesn't sound to me as though he needs perfect cleans.

So, I still think that the Randall is the best option. Sure, the cleans aren't great, but they'll be a damn sight better than what he's probably got now, and the OD will probably blow his socks off. Now if that isn't a good way to start buying tube amps, I don't know what is.
The hardest the VC30 gets boosted is oldest-school Metallica....
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The cleans on the Valveking are good, just not spectacular. It has a lot more gain than the VC30, though, so would probably be a better choice for you. And if you changed the speaker and valves at a later date, it would sound better. So if you can't afford to spend more, the Valveking would be the better choice.
as far what i can see is that the valveking is the one with better balance between cleans and dist right?
Quote by Don_Humpador
^^^^ Right, fair enough.

^^ I don't listen to Metallica, Carrot.

^ I don't believe you
Umm, imagine British, kinda middy.... Kinda like a JCM800 sorta gain but not very heavy, it's not voiced for it at all.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Don_Humpador
^^^^ Right, fair enough.

^^ I don't listen to Metallica, Carrot.

^ I don't believe you

Swine!

Seriously, though, with the gain on my VC15 at about 10, it's equivalent to 5 or so on the Valveking...the cleans are nicer, though.
correction the valveking is the best! i think i might need more qualitiy with gain then with cleans
and how bout this: in the band we are 2 guitar players and were both looking to buy new amps, what if one of us bought the valveking and the other a laney? we could get the balance we need right?
ok thanks

another thing, if i find a good cheap mesa boggie as a guy said earlyear i can forget all this cause its the best and no more discussion isn't?
That'll be fun for the audience. Mush.

"But the TS does..."

Ugggh. If you bothered to read what I was saying to Carrot, I was talking about the fact that I didn't know what the 'early Metallica' sound was. Thankfully, someone who does read, MrCarrot, has now explained a little bit. Anyway, now the TS is saying he wants more 'quality with gain than with cleans'.

What does that point to? Oh yes. The Randall.
no humpador you can talk about what you want, no problem...
i said that but don't mean to put a grand canyon in between if you know what i mean..

and to dsubstanceuk, i thought mesa boogie was one of the elite brands... john petrucci uses it, is my idol
just someone in the first page of thread said he bought a mesaboogie for under 600usd on ebay and i thought i could get the same luck somewhere lol, from my little culture of guitar amplifiers i thought mesaboogie was one of the best but thats not the point either so...
Boogies probably won't be anywhere as cheap used in Europe as they are in the US, so you should probably disregard them, unless you find a REALLY good deal on a Mark III or a F-50. That being said, yes, they're really good amps, especially for the heavy metal tone. Not everyone's cup o' tea, though.
Hi, I'm Peter
Well, that shouldn't stop you from looking around, I was just saying. A Boogie that sells in the US for $1,500 new sells in England for about 1,300 quid new, so about $2,600. But then again, you have access to other amp brands, such as ENGL, which aren't really sold that widely in the US.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yeah, but you never know. For example, you can find Marshall tube amps (granted, not in the best cosmetic condition) in the US for $600 used. Since Marshall's a European nameplate, they shouldn't be much more expensive in Europe. When you're talking about Boogies, though, they're an American nameplate that jacks their price quite a bit when selling overseas.
Hi, I'm Peter
were not metal, i think we would be rated as alternative... we have some more heavy stuff but also more basic rock/blues stuff. i think the valveking is the best for our needs
i didn't knew it was american but your're right though. i guess i'll wait a few years until i can afford john petrruci gear.. and by the way ENGL and DIEZEL are also very good brands aren't they?
"If you don't listen to Metallica, and don't have any experience with a VC30, then don't make stupid assumptions about what it can and can't do retard."

What the hell? Read my post again. If you did read it, I said I have played a VC30. But, no, I haven't played one with a tubescreamer, and, no, I didn't know the 'early Metallica' sound is/was. So how can you possibly expect me to know exactly what the VC30 can and can't do when I've never claimed I can? I openly admitted that when I posted it. I said I was assuming based on my experience. Which was clearly limited.

And there's absolutely no need to insult me.

"And no, get the Valve King, it's more versatile."

At what, being rubbish?
Page 1 of 2