well i was thinking about adding on to my 2006 cobalt this summer when i get the money. i was gonna throw an actually good exhaust on it because i love the sound of them and are worth the money. not a fart can though. but would it even be worth it on an automatic car? i go fast every now and then but its by no means a race car. i was gonna throw some other little things on there just to add some sporti-ness to the car. not really make it a race car. would it be dumb to add an exhaust and whatnot to an automatic car? or would it work just fine? and if you could, reccomend some nice exhausts. im real into the high pitched japanese-import-tuner kind of sound.
And we will send you to whatever God you wish...
you're not going to have any fun with this unless you have a manual gearbox. Gosh, americans and their automatics
I say don't do it. Tuned cars make people look retarded, not cool, at least I don't know anybody who likes them.
yeah i didnt think i would be doing anything like this when the car was bought. i figured i would just add maybe an exhaust, cold air intake, maybe rims. just little **** like that. nothing big at all. not really a tuner.
If you want to, do it, its your car.
Just waiting for a new manifold to arrive.
Twin Webber 45's yum.

And yes, some tuned cars do look stupid.
But when done properly, some can be absolutely awesome.
well the thing is i really dont know much about cars, which is why i come to the pit i just wanted to know if everything would work fine as far as the exhaust goes or if people are gonna look at me and say "your a tool for doing that to an automatic"
Well thats okay than. If you like the sound of a good exhaust and engine, there's some device that emulates different car's motor sounds. I forgot what it was called though. You just put it in the motor room, wire it to your cars electronics somehow and woosh! - Instant Ferrari sound. It's fake sound, but it's sweet.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well thats okay than. If you like the sound of a good exhaust and engine, there's some device that emulates different car's motor sounds. I forgot what it was called though. You just put it in the motor room, wire it to your cars electronics somehow and woosh! - Instant Ferrari sound. It's fake sound, but it's sweet.

Sounds like even more of a con than the limitless electronic turbos...
Have 100 PSI of pressure!1!!ONE!1!
Crap.
Or that resistor you put in that 'gives 10 brake more.'
No.
adding an aftermarket exhaust on ANY type of vehicle will increase the mileage slightly, but in a good way.
I had a "fart-can" on my honda civic and it was automatic. Plenty of ppl drive automatics with exhausts , go for it.
Having an automatic has nothing to do with choosing an exhaust system. Did you know MOST (I'm not saying all of them) serious drag cars are automatic? That's because an auto tranny can shift faster than a human. There are plenty of automatic cars that sound great through an aftermarket exhaust. My father's Lightning has a bassani exhaust on it and it sounds awesome.

Now your problem is different. If you have a plain jane cobalt, you aren't going to get much good sound out of it .

Oh, and don't think I'm bashing manual cars. My car is a stick and I love it.

If I were you I'd start with some performance upgrades (yes a new exhaust can boost horsepower if you go all out with it, but start with easier things first).

-Dustin
if you put a header on you'll pick up a few horses, for best sound use a high flow cat a magnaflow resonator and then a magnaflow round muffler it'll give it a nice low rumble, the best size exhaust for your car would proboly be a 2.25 inch pipe
get a greddy or apexi exhaust. they're a little expensive though. or you could jus take your car to an exhaust shop and tell them to put a 3" pipe from the cat back and put a cherry bomb glasspack on. it will sound ****in awesome
Member 1 of the FINAL FANTASY VII club