I understand how an effects loop works, but I am wondering if I plug my guitar into the input of my valvetronix tonelab, then plug the tonelab into effects loop, will this work, and simply bypass the pre-amp of my combo?
Yeah, I do it. I usually turn the speaker simulator off though. It's no where near as good as it sound directly into a PA. I hook it up like this... Guitar to tonelab input - tonelab "insert" send to front of my amp - effects send from amp to tonelab "insert" return - Tonelab output to effects return on amp. That way I can have some presets where I have no amp or speaker simulation and I can use the amp's preamp with the effects on the tonelab. Still IMO sounds nowhere near as good as amp alone or tonelab into PA.

Ohh and you're a day older than me, how cool is that. xD
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Feb 21, 2008,
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Yeah, I do it. I usually turn the speaker simulator off though. It's no where near as good as it sound directly into a PA. I hook it up like this... Guitar to tonelab input - tonelab "insert" send to front of my amp - effects send from amp to tonelab "insert" return - Tonelab output to effects return on amp. That way I can have some presets where I have no amp or speaker simulation and I can use the amp's preamp with the effects on the tonelab. Still IMO sounds nowhere near as good as amp alone or tonelab into PA.

Ohh and you're a day older than me, how cool is that. xD

Thanks for the help. I am not sure what I am going to do right now. I actually have PA speakers, but not a mixer or power amp. I think I may just end up looking into a mixer for myself.

The fact that I am a day older than you is pretty .....cool.......
So does anyone have any suggestions about a cheap mixer I could get. I know that behringers don't have the best reputation, but some of the smaller eurotrack ones look like they are exactly what I am looking for. Are those loud enough to gig with, I don't really understand what dictates how loud mixers get through the speakers. If someone could explain that would be great.