(There is a similar topic down below but this is a different question and nothing came up on the search.)

You can see the question in the title. I have an amp that I bought for volume rather than effects and therefore I don't even have overdrive although the amp was cheap. I am now trying to see if it is worth spending another £30-£40 on an effects pedal to make up for this. Am I wasting my time and my money or are they valuable pieces of kit?
"Necassery"? Definitely not. Not necessary, either. The majority of bass amps don't have an onboard distortion or overdrive effect. There are some sounds that you just can't get without effects though. For example, you can't get Jesse Keeler's sound without chorus and distortion or Justin Chancellor's sound without a whammy pedal, distortion and a whole host of other effects. If you don't want that sound, don't buy effects.
do you play bass or guitar?

for bass, effects pedals and an overdrive channel probably aren't necessities.
for guitar, you're probably going to at least want a good overdrive pedal.
Not necessary. But nice to have if you can afford it.
You never NEED pedals. But certain tones and effects are un-acheivable without them. IE, tremelo, phase shifter, etc etc.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
You never NEED pedals. But certain tones and effects are un-acheivable without them. IE, tremelo, phase shifter, etc etc.

Well, tremelo was a bad example, as either rapid picking or turing the volume knob on your bass can replicate it

But they should only be used when they make a good riff better, not as a prob to writing lines.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
there are very few bass FX that are really worth going out and buying. if i had to suggest one that is very much worth it. and i know alot of people will back me up (i think..) i'd say a chorus pedal

the only other ones that are kinda ok if you really really want to use them would be; auto wah, distortion and wah
Quote by gm jack
Well, tremelo was a bad example, as either rapid picking or turing the volume knob on your bass can replicate it

But they should only be used when they make a good riff better, not as a prob to writing lines.

I suppose your right about the picking, but i doubt anyone could turn there volume fast enough to replicate a tremelo pedal.
Quote by gm jack

If you have a pickup selector you can make tremelo, but anyway, I'm not sure I agree with that. What about Bootsy?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by damienblack333
there are very few bass FX that are really worth going out and buying. if i had to suggest one that is very much worth it. and i know alot of people will back me up (i think..) i'd say a chorus pedal

the only other ones that are kinda ok if you really really want to use them would be; auto wah, distortion and wah

I dont agree with that. There are plenty of effects! Just as many, if not more than guitar!

OD, Flange, Evelope Filters, Synths, Compression, EQ, Chorus and many many more!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I've built a few of my favorite self-made bass lines around a specific effect, I think you can start there if you want.

writing with effects can actually force you to write good parts. It's no different than a poet filling in a sonnet, or a lyricist writing for the 12 bar blues. When you have certain structural requirements to fill--and each type of effect poses its own--you will usually come out with something much better than if you had full freedom. I'm not poo-pooing creative freedom I'm just saying, why do you think beginning fiction and poetry classes demand students use established forms? You often get more creative meeting a standard.

Of course most of us will still insist that with most styles of music it is easy to overuse bass effects, but I don't think they should be attacked as being completely useless or even as being the finishing touches on something already made.
Quote by sammcl-15
If you have a pickup selector you can make tremelo, but anyway, I'm not sure I agree with that. What about Bootsy?

Bootsy is an incredible bassist without effects, such as in his early days with James Brown. He then started using effects in his P-funk days as a way to help express his creativity.

Doing that is fine once you can do it without effects. The trouble is that people can start to rely on effects, if they are not good, expresive players without them. They depend on the edge a wacky effect can give them in order to compose otherwise boring lines.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I have decided that I will buy a Multi-Effects Pedal because I want versatility in writing songs and I want to have some complicated bass riffs in my arsenal. I'm not going to spend too much on it but it may act as a useful tool if I want to get my playing heard at gigs.

Would it be illegal if a posted up my choice to allow you to advise?
Quote by ARandomBassist
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I have decided that I will buy a Multi-Effects Pedal because I want versatility in writing songs and I want to have some complicated bass riffs in my arsenal. I'm not going to spend too much on it but it may act as a useful tool if I want to get my playing heard at gigs.

Would it be illegal if a posted up my choice to allow you to advise?

not illegal at all, post them up
If you can't write good riffs with pedals then the ones you do write with pedals probably wont be great either. Instead of buying some pedal buy a theory book and learn some new scales and techniques.
this kind of thread showed up in the guitar forum the other day and someone put it best when they said...

"i like to paint with different colors"
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud
this kind of thread showed up in the guitar forum the other day and someone put it best when they said...

"i like to paint with different colors"

Yes, but (although modern art may disagree) a lot of colours on the page doesn't mean you have formed any shapes.

Learn to draw, thenlearn to apply colour.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1