How long will it take me to get to grips with this enough to trick an employer to think I know what I'm doing - I only need basic knowledge and I have used other CAD programs before.

Also does anyone know where I can legally aquire this for free?

Thanks
Originally posted by Meths
You need serious amounts of therapy.

Quote by jagstang270
One should not try to masturbate while Dragoneforce is in the background
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
DragonForce? Sounds like some early 90's children's cartoon or action hero lineup.
To legally buy it try the Autodesk website, if not able to purchase there, then they'll have a list of resellers.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Im just guessing that your not a certified engineer or drafter, seeing how you've never used autocad and most schools use it. So I dont know who would hire you.
autoCad is very easy to use, i used it when i did work experience (15 years old ) and i got to grips with it very easily.
PSN: Noverion
Wow, I wish I knew who you were applying to give them a heads up. Legally acquire it for free... are you retarded? I hope somebody legally acquires your car for free while you're busy forging a resume.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
It's pretty easy to get the hang of. I recommend using the command line as much as possible for accuracy.
I loves me my AutoCAD
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
it's not hard to use, but no one is going to hire you to use it unless you have an engineering/architectural/design degree.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I had to use it at school.

Bloody confusing. I wasn't that great at it. Maybe you should start with making boxes, lol. Then work your way up.
Quote by masterk1818
I can help you "legally" aquire this program ill pm you

That would be cool thanks.

All those saints complaining about me being a thief, I think the key thing is I am looking to get a job, then I can buy it to clear my conscience.

Also there are lots of places where I don't need an engineering or architect degree, despite that being what I want to do, I'm stuck as a physics undergrad.
Originally posted by Meths
You need serious amounts of therapy.

Quote by jagstang270
One should not try to masturbate while Dragoneforce is in the background
you just can't keep up.

Quote by waylay00
DragonForce? Sounds like some early 90's children's cartoon or action hero lineup.
Last edited by Lord_Xian at Feb 21, 2008,
Quote by Lord_Xian
How long will it take me to get to grips with this enough to trick an employer to think I know what I'm doing - I only need basic knowledge and I have used other CAD programs before.

Thanks

There was one I used a while ago called something like.....I think AutoDesk AutoCAD
Im not sure what the URL was to get it but it was a free and fairly easy to use version of CAD.

most CAD setups are hard to use and require a few classes at a college or school to learn.

If you really want to get good enough with one of these programs and plan on using it for a career its highly suggested you take a learning class on it at a local school or college.
I suspect that while it may not take you that lon gto learn the basics, learning enough to actually be able to efficiently and quickly draw stuff, and know all types of drawing conventions in either engineering or architectural/civil engineering takes quite a while. I am a sophmore architecture student and have been using AutoCAD for 5 years and I still dont even know all the shortcuts and conventions. I doubt you'll just be able to bull**** it. What ype of job are ou looking at?
I'm in intro to drafting, and it is very easy. I can kick out a basic Isometric view done in under 5 minutes. Maybe if you practiced for 5 days straight, You'd have the hang of it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by Lord_Xian

Thanks

I'm taking an AutoCAD class in my high school since my dad uses it for his work, I'm about 2 weeks in (hour and a half class each week day) and I can do pretty much everything I need to know how to do already. It's a very simple and intuitive program but I have a lot of background in Photoshop, Final Cut Pro HD, Imageready, Maya etc. etc., I've taken plenty of computer classes before and my school offers pretty much everything so I may be more inclined to pick it up quickly than you, I don't know.

Basically my point is, as long as you've used computers before you can figure it out within a couple minutes. Everything is self explanatory, where you would expect it to be and easy to figure out.
Quote by CORT noob
I'm in intro to drafting, and it is very easy. I can kick out a basic Isometric view done in under 5 minutes. Maybe if you practiced for 5 days straight, You'd have the hang of it.

Just because your in intro to drafting and can draw an isometric doesnt mean you know how to use it. You have to know conventions of drawing. Yeah you could draw a floor plan but do you know how a door is supposed to look in a plan? Do you know the difference in thickness between interior, exterior, and wet walls? Do you know the order of dimensioning a house? These are the things you would need to know to actually have a job doing CAD.
Quote by Lord_Xian

Thanks

I dont think you can get decent CAD software for free anywhere. At least not legally. My step father had an old version of AutoCAD but with the company he was with but it was only supported for free, for a limited time.
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

Goats are like mushrooms.
When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.