Hullo chaps,

I'm building a little gem of the first kind. The 1/2 watt one. What should the speaker impedance be for best results? The description says it can run a 16ohm cab, but is there a way to determine what the optimal impedance would be?

Thanks
Last edited by sashki at Feb 21, 2008,
I just use what I can find (it doesn't do any damage), but it guess a matching speaker would sound better.
Quote by mr_hankey
I just use what I can find (it doesn't do any damage), but it guess a matching speaker would sound better.

Erm...yeah. Matching with what? I don't know the output impedance, and I was wondering if anyone does.
Quote by sashki
Erm...yeah. Matching with what? I don't know the output impedance, and I was wondering if anyone does.
It looks like that chip is best suited to an 8 ohm load. Look at the graphs on page 4 of the link.

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM386.pdf

It will generate more heat, internally (device dissipation) and less output on a 4 ohm load.

With a 9 volt supply and a 16 ohm load,
the power out will be limited to a little less than 1/2 watt, and it will run cool.

You'll be able to get a little more power out at 8 ohms.
You'll also generate more internal heat, than at 16 ohms, but it won't be excessive.
But heat = wasted energy.
If you're running from batteries, the life will be a bit shorter with an 8 ohm load.

This isn't rocket science. It's a dirty, funky, little amp.
Use what you can get easily and cheaply, or what you already have.
Either 8 or 16.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
You can use a 4 ohm speaker, but make sure you heatsink the IC.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by Invader Jim
You can run a 16 ohm marshall cab with one of those. You shouldn't have to heatsink the IC, should you?

Lower impedance = more current = more heat produced by the IC.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
The need for heatsinking depends on the voltage of the power supply and the load.

With a 12 volt ps, and a 4 ohm load, you waste over a watt of power in the IC when you have an output of about 1/3 watt. 1 watt is a lot of power for an 8-pin dip. Without a heat sink, it will get mighty hot and probably fail.

16 ohms and 9 volt would be very safe, comparatively. You only dissipate 1/4 of heat and you get 1/2 watt to the speaker. A heatsink won't be necessary.

It's easy enough to figure out. Just run it a while, then put your finger on it. If it's too hot to keep your finger on for more than a few seconds, epoxy a small aluminum heatsink to it.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
^ JB quick to attach a heatsink? I think it would work well.
It's non-conductive electrically, but that doesn't really matter here.
You're looking to transfer heat.
a thin, continuous coating would be best.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411