Ok i need your very good advice people

I am obsessed with playing guitar, very much determined to get as good as i can. I kind of have a practice list that i go by, 15 mins for this, 15 mins for that etc etc. it seems to be working quite well.

The thing is i will pick it up during the day and work down the list finnishing with running through songs i've learn't and learning, but i keep going and picking it up like all night, 10 mins here, 30 mins there.

Am i damaging my practice regime by doing this? Should i set a time limit for the day maybe say 4 hours, and then leave the guitar alone till the next day because it can seem that 30 mins here or there is starting to become pointless.

Please advise,

Thanks
i prefer to play whenever the **** theres a guitar around so if i c 1 i play it...i just try to play all the time
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Why would it hurt anything? The more you play the better you become. Just make sure you are practicing correctly.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Have a practice schedule!
but play as much as you can! There is noe harm in playing more than you'd planned.
But watch out for injuries.
I'd say rather than keeping a strict schedule of how much time you will spend to practice, practice as much as you can on the things you need practice on - not forgetting the ones you already have down. Keep in mind, it's the quality of practice that matters.
I used to practice for 4 hours straight but found that i couldn't concentrate that long or got frustrated.. :-) so now i practice for 30 mins here and there. Practice the way you enjoy and that you see improvement
If I remember correctly, It takes a little while for your brain to recieve information. So practicing for 30 minutes, taking a break then going at it again would seem better then practicing straight through a few hours.

Also, It depends how big of breaking we are talking but if you practice 30 mins ever hour and a half (and figuring in if you go to work or school) then it would be around 3-5 hours everyday of practicing.
Ok thanks for your replies, some good things said that i can take note of! I think from what you guys have said, i need to be doing something practical if a pick up a guitar and not just pointless things that aren't gonna help me progress?
Quote by Ze_Metal
If I remember correctly, It takes a little while for your brain to recieve information. So practicing for 30 minutes, taking a break then going at it again would seem better then practicing straight through a few hours.

Also, It depends how big of breaking we are talking but if you practice 30 mins ever hour and a half (and figuring in if you go to work or school) then it would be around 3-5 hours everyday of practicing.

I tend to play for 3, 4, 5 hours a day depending on time available but like you say taking a break is important. I normally try to take 30 mins - 45 mins break every now and again
Quote by DownNdirtyRockG
Ok thanks for your replies, some good things said that i can take note of! I think from what you guys have said, i need to be doing something practical if a pick up a guitar and not just pointless things that aren't gonna help me progress?

Yes and No. The thing with practicing is people forget to have fun. If you sit there and run scales and drills and exercises all the time, guitar is going to seem dull. Yes, it's going to pay off but having a boring practice might end up with you spending less time practicing every day until you don't play at all.

So, Try and do atleast 30 mins- an hour of whatever you enjoy. I usually just spice some of my exercises up, make them into a 'song'...granted it's a pretty bad song but at least I'm having fun and getting good exercise.
You should practice, but take breaks and play something that you enjoy.
Quote by Masonpwiley
You should practice, but take breaks and play something that you enjoy.

I agree with playing something you enjoy, otherwise you're just trying to get better and once you are better you will just try and get even better but you never actually enjoy your skill. I practise to get better, so i can play more stuff i enjoy not just to get better.

12345abcd3
ya, u should practice as much as you can, ulsess ur hurting yourself, u cant practice too much
since i put this post up i have put together a really good practice routine based on the replies and some thought put into it and i have stuck to it for a week and a bit and already i am starting to feel the difference with accuracy and finger strength and speed.

so cheers everybody your help is very much appreciated
Not really such a thing as too much practice unless you hurt your hand or something. Sometimes we'll go visit other people and if I see a guitar in their house I will always ask them if I can play it. It's quite an obsession, almost like an addiction.