I've been all excited because I can play most of this song now except for the solo, but my instructor and some other pretty good guys give off this vibe as if they're better than even trying to mess with that song. Have guitarists in the past just hammered this song into the ground and worn it out or what? I thought learning this was kind of a rite of passage if you want to call yourself a guitarist.
Quote by corndogggy
I've been all excited because I can play most of this song now except for the solo, but my instructor and some other pretty good guys give off this vibe as if they're better than even trying to mess with that song. Have guitarists in the past just hammered this song into the ground and worn it out or what? I thought learning this was kind of a rite of passage if you want to call yourself a guitarist.

I wouldn't call learning it a rite of passage. If those guys think they are better than a song then they must be jerks. If you want to learn a song just learn it and don't listen to other people if they say it's too easy or something.
When 'Stairway to Heaven' first came out, people were rushing to learn that song. Everyone played it and people working in guitar stores would get sick of hearing it. Eventually, they even had signs saying "No Stairway" Hehe.

I'm sure your guitar teacher knows it. It's one of those songs everyone learns eventually.
^ +1.

Still though, its about the first sound anyone learns on guitar. so don't feel lame. its one of those songs that people ask you if you can play it...i probably haven't looked at a tab for it in 5 years, and i can still pull it out of my ass when people ask. i don't see any reason not to learn it.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
yeah man i guarentee that at some point one of your friends or someone will see you playin and ask if you know stairway. It wouldnt be a bad thing to know it
I've never heard someone play it, and have never attempted.. I've never even listened to the full song, I like some slow songs, but damn...

We played it (well, a shorter version) in my music class at school ALL THE TIME, and I just got sick of it.. (we played trumpets and saxophones and such, though).
Well the song does pick up at the end, so I would suggest listening to the whole thing.
sigh...
lol this reminds me of Wayne's World where he plays the first few notes and the guy walks up to him and points to the "No Stairway" sign
There's probably an unwritten rule somewhere that says all guitarists need to know the intro to Stairway to Heaven, no matter how annoyingly overplayed of a song it is. I guarantee almost every guitarist that has been playing for a year knows that song.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Your teacher sounds like an ass, lqtm. Oh, and I've never learned it or heard the whole thing, and I own Led Zeppelin IV...

EDIT: On second thought, I'm listening to it now.
Too many people own guitars. Someone had better go play a... clarinet or something.

:stickpoke

That means you.

Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
i once sneezed and a mushed up chip flew out my nose
needless to say i immediatly ate it
You should learn whatever you want regardless of what others say.
Quote by corndogggy

Well it's not a right of passage. However no one should look down on you for learning it.

If you enjoy the song and like to play it then that's what matter. Personally I think Stairway is an amazing song and you get to learn a lot form it, specially for newer players. It covers finger picking, strumming and basic soloing as well as an awesome rhythm.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quit learning from Your teacher asap!
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Line6 Spider III 30W (For sale!)
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
If you like it, play it. The solo sounds like it would be fun to totally mess around with.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
I was picking around at that song the other day in the guitar store, on my acoustic, and the store owner walked by and said "Your getting too good at that Dave". I stopped and thought about what he said. Too good? Was he hinting that I should try something different? Was it just an honest compliment? I rekon it was the second option, since I've known him for quite a few years now.
no, not ever lame. every occasion. stairway.
I have no opinion on this matter.