Right now i have a pretty basic setup. I have a Schecter Omen 6 guitar with a Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt Amp. The only pedal i have is a Boss RC20XL loop station. I'm ready to start getting some different pedals and these are my questions:

1) For anyone whose familiar with the line 6 spider III, you'll know it already has things like distortion, echo, chorus, reverb built into the amp. With pedals running around $100 a pop, is it really worth it to use a bunch of individual pedals? I mean im sure it improves tone and everything but will it be that noticeable? 100 dollars noticeable?

2) I'm really into a lot of the experimental prog rock out there (Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Mars Volta being some of my fav). Any one have any recommendations on some cool effects pedals?

Thanks for any help, advice, or comments. Any info is helpful because i love learning about this stuff!
Well, with a better amp, it would be worth the $100. But if u want really crazy/experimental sounds, save up for a Moog pedal or a Moogerfooger. If u dont have a wah, at least try out a Snarling Dogs Ring Spore (?) ring modulator and wah. You should be able to get some crazy sounds out of that.
Is the Spider III a bad amp? 30 watts is good for my playing space. I don't think I've read very many negative reviews on it....
Last edited by GlassVolta at Feb 21, 2008,
Quote by GlassVolta
Is the Spider III a bad amp? 30 watts is good for my playing space. I don't think I've read very many negative reviews on it....

Yes it is terrible. Just look around the forums on here asking if it is any good and you will see that no-one that isn't a complete noob hates it.
The Spider's make decent practice amps, but the tonal imperfections of a modeling amps really start to stand out when you turn them up. Digital preamps tend to sound thin and flat and SS power amps exhibit "hard clipping" when cranked.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM