Ok, I had my guitar tech setup my jackson with 13-56 round wound D'addarios 3 months ago. I hated them at first, but i started to downtune and play more and more. My fingers became stronger and my fretting hand became stronger as well. Now I want to go bigger. These 13s feel like my old 9s. I don't want to detune more than drop C, or C standard if i want to be as \m/ as Dethklok . I've checked ernie ball, d'addario, and GHS for them and 13-56 is the biggest 6 string.

So, are there any other strings i can commercially find bigger than 13-56 that aren't baritone strings like this one?

http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=GHSCU-BARI/513.0
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
I don't think so, but you could always use bass strings.

I use 10-56's, they're these awesome d'addarios that has thick low strings designed for downtuning and thin high strings for shredding.
Yeah, they're called bass strings.

If you really want bigger strings, why are the baritones no good?
Yes, Zakk Wylde strings. They go up to 70.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by -Collapse-
Yeah, they're called bass strings.

If you really want bigger strings, why are the baritones no good?

I didn't knwo if they would fit my guitar, i thought baritone's and basses used longer necks and such?

If bass strings will fit then F**K it heheehe i really do love the thicker tone and solid feel of thick strings.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by nebiru

Ah, I didn't know about those.
I would want to use strings that big just because you'd probably need to do some nut and bridge filing to have them seat well.
Bass strings are more than too fat... light set is 40-95 for example.... look for baritone strings, my friend use them for regular electric guitar and it works.
yeah, just find somewhere you can buy individual strings and stock up on low-gauge bass strings. a bass does have a longer neck, but you can always cut your strings if you need them shorter, remember.
I drink only Bacardi, Captain Morgan's, and Red Bull.
=D
Quote by nebiru

Ok, i found these:

http://stringitup.stores.yahoo.net/ghsgbbonpsza.html

But only the top 2 strings are thicker than what i have now:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/DRMEH13.htm

Those boomers may have to work, thanks for the heads up. I looked all over GHS's site and couldnt find a 70 top.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Last edited by jewbaby667 at Feb 21, 2008,
Quote by Ledcraft
yeah, just find somewhere you can buy individual strings and stock up on low-gauge bass strings. a bass does have a longer neck, but you can always cut your strings if you need them shorter, remember.

I think the issue is more about the tension they would put on the neck. They put a lot more tension than regular guitar strings to reach a certain pitch.
Quote by -Collapse-
I would want to use strings that big just because you'd probably need to do some nut and bridge filing to have them seat well.

Eh, he has some out with Dunlop and some out with whoever does the Boomers.. I forget. I tried the Boomer versions, they went up to 60 and they sucked ass. I use a heavy string but I hated those. It was like plucking a steel bar and it was insanely hard to do bends, on the other hand I did use them for a few months and it made my hands way stronger. I can't use light strings anymore because I maul the **** out of them.
Quote by jewbaby667
Ok, i found these:

http://stringitup.stores.yahoo.net/ghsgbbonpsza.html

But only the top 2 strings are thicker than what i have now in this similar d'addario:

http://www.daddario.com/DADProdDetail.aspx?CodaID=8009&ID=1&Class=AAGA

Those boomers may have to work, thanks for the heads up. I looked all over GHS's site and couldnt find a 70 top.

Look for his Dunlop series. Those are the ones that go up to 70.
Quote by nedthehead
I think the issue is more about the tension they would put on the neck. They put a lot more tension than regular guitar strings to reach a certain pitch.

Yeah, but he's not going to standard.
He's using drop C. So with a huge string, he'd reach about normal tension lighter strings would have in standard.
Quote by -Collapse-

Well, i know the guitar tech where i bought my guitar and he is hella cool. He does a string change and setup for like $15 and that includes string price. He files the nuts and sets the bridge up perfectly. I'll just have him try and do some truss adjustments too for the 70 top. Man, i'm getting stoked thinking of a 70 top string!

\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/

Too bad i wont see him until spring break.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by jewbaby667
Well, i know the guitar tech where i bought my guitar and he is hella cool. He does a string change and setup for like $15 and that includes string price. He files the nuts and sets the bridge up perfectly. I'll just have him try and do some truss adjustments too for the 70 top. Man, i'm getting stoked thinking of a 70 top string!

\m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/

Too bad i wont see him until spring break.

God damn, I'm going to ship him my guitar and still spend less with shipping and set-up than around here. Haha.
They quoted me around $75+ dollars to do a full setup locally.
Needless to say, I said no, I might as well save for a new guitar if I'm going to spend $75 bucks for a setup.
Yeah, a shop around here wanted $50 because they sand and condition the frets too. I told them, "Hey, i just want the guitar restrung and action set lower is all." They only did "the works". My guy does it all and plus i get to talk about metal for 30 minutes and he shows me how to do it heheheh.

On a side note, I looked up the Zakk Wylde Dunacans and they are 10-60. They don't sound bad either, but i do like my high 13 string being thick to for bending.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by jewbaby667
i really do love the thicker tone and solid feel of thick strings.

Tune less low to get a more solid feel.

Or just stop lying to yourself, and buy a bass.
I can't stand when people waltz into thread and think they're going to change someone's musical style and tuning, just because it's not their particular taste.

Let people carve their own path in their music, we don't all want to sound like classic rock.
Another thing to consider is that 70 won't fit into some tuning pegs.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
Another thing to consider is that 70 won't fit into some tuning pegs.

I've been meaning to get locking tuners anyway. The stock ones aren't terrible, there are just 1 or 2 that aren't perfect. I'll see what the tech wants to do about it then get what strings will work best.

And to reply to Mr_Hankey:

HEHEHHEHEHHEE i wish there was like an in between. I guess a baritone would be close, but i like my 24th fret squeadlies as much as I like my drop C sludgy riffs.

So, I'll keep lieing to myself and pretend i'm a guitar player.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by -Collapse-
I can't stand when people waltz into thread and think they're going to change someone's musical style and tuning, just because it's not their particular taste.

Let people carve their own path in their music, we don't all want to sound like classic rock.

Guitars aren't made for tuning that low with such big strings. They make Baritones for that reason. Even lower; bass.

And what does classic rock have to do with anything?
Quote by mr_hankey
Guitars aren't made for tuning that low with such big strings. They make Baritones for that reason. Even lower; bass.

And what does classic rock have to do with anything?

They aren't?
It's all a matter of perspective.
There are many guitars at regular scale than come already set up for low tuning that aren't baritone.
I set my guitar up myself and I can go as low as Drop B without any fret buzz, though I usually don't go past drop C, and mine is regular scale.

Just because guitars began in standard and set-up for standard tuning, doesn't mean they arn't made for anything else.
It's like putting a turbo on a car and someone walks up and says "That car isn't made to go that fast." Yeah, not from the factory, but it is now...

And It was just a cheap shot at the fact most of the bands you have listed are some form of classic rock. I know you can play thrash in standard, but I was referencing your biased point that practically all of the music you listen to uses standard. So obviously you don't really appreciate low tuning.
I have heard of jazz guitarists using .14's in standard before, so they've gotta be out there somewhere
zakk wlyde's signature strings are like 70-11 and 60-10 but i find them unbalanced.

If the lowest you're going to go is Drop C i don't think you need a 13, that bitch is going to be hard to bend.

for drop C i would do anything from 58-54 and for the top 10-11. I play in C standard and use 54-11, though i would like a bigger low string.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
you CAN use strings that are designated for one position in a higher one (i.e. using a 14 b in the high e position. bingo! one gauge higher than your 13s.)

use your initiative man.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
Quote by jerm__
zakk wlyde's signature strings are like 70-11 and 60-10 but i find them unbalanced.

If the lowest you're going to go is Drop C i don't think you need a 13, that bitch is going to be hard to bend.

for drop C i would do anything from 58-54 and for the top 10-11. I play in C standard and use 54-11, though i would like a bigger low string.

I don't want to use bigger strings to go lower. I'm in standard as much as I am in Drop C. I just love the feel of thicker strings. I goof off with my strat that has 9's and it makes me feel like the Hulk or something. I can bend the high E almost to the other E lol! I just really like the feel of a solid string and these 13s are starting to feel skinny on me.

Quote by shoolocomous
you CAN use strings that are designated for one position in a higher one (i.e. using a 14 b in the high e position. bingo! one gauge higher than your 13s.)

use your initiative man.

I would have to experiment with that. I guess i could get the boomers and then use the lowest 5 strings of my 13-56s for my 1,2,3, 4 and 5 strings. So it would be 17, 26, 36, 46, 56, 70 ? Wow, those are some thick arse strings!

Didn't SRV use crazy thick strings too?
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz