So my friend recently sold me his Yamaha something or other and crate gfx30 amp for £40, which in my opinion is a great deal, considering some of the stuff he can get out of the equipment and because he paid £350 or so all together.

The guitar has neck and bridge humbuckers, with a single coil in between, a 5 way selector switch thing, and one volume and one tone knob.

I'm wondering if anybody is able to tell me what sort of things I should do to get a certain type of tone out of my gear. Like, to get a rough metally sound use whatever pickups, such and such a tone and whatever sort of settings on the amp (how high gain or shape of distortion, or whatever sort of clean sounds).
I know it will all be down to preference, and that it's not going to be possible for someone to say that if I use whatever settings then I'll get exactly this sound, but because I'm new to the (electric) scene, I'd like it if somebody could help me, please.

Oh, and my amp has the following knobs -

Under distortion there's gain, shape and level.
Under clean there's level, high, mid, low.
Under the category 'dsl' (whatever that is?) there is level and another one saying 'mode' with 'delay, flange, chorus, chorus + reverb and reverb' around it.

If anyone can tell me what sort of settings I should be using for a certain style then that would be great.

Oh, and if anybody could explain what the different settings such as 'delay, chorus' and whatnot which I have listed actually do/mean then that will be great, too. I have been playing about with them, but can't really tell what they're doing (I've been listening with some rather rubbish headphones, since my younger brother's revising).

And also, on final question. Which would have a higher tone, a sort of harsh sound or a more mellow, mushy sound? (my tone knob doesn't have any sort of scale or anything).

Thanks alot, if anybody can help me then I will be eternally grateful.
I think you should pick and artist whose sound you like, find the settings they use by visiting the settings thread, and experiment from there until you find a sound you like.
Epiphone Les Paul
T. Haruo Acoustic
Fender MusicMan 210 (130w)
Well I can tell you that the delay and chorus are effects. Delay is basically ehco, it ehcoes the sound you make on the guitar and the chorus im not entire sure its pitch modulation effect though but it is subtle. Flange is also a pitch modulation effect that kinda makes a "swooshing" noise and reverb is kinda like Delay but its more splashy kinda like an almost distorted echo, the best way to understand them is listening to examples for Chorus try the intro to Come As You Are by Nirvana and Enter Sandman by Metallica, Flange the beginning of Breakout by Foo Fighters and Delay Anything by The Edge outta U2 or Aurora again by the Foo Fighters.
Last edited by Fight The Foo! at Feb 21, 2008,
tone ..as in on ur guitar??? the tone gives a more bassy buzzy sound ..cant really explain it well. I keep my tone at 10, except for smoke on the water's main riff. I guess you know all about neck and bridge pickups etc. But bridge are trebly (solos) neck pickups are bassy (rhythm). Single coils are generally better for cleans, but i suppose its down to preference.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

Quote by YngwieJnr
tone ..as in on ur guitar??? the tone gives a more bassy buzzy sound ..cant really explain it well. I keep my tone at 10, except for smoke on the water's main riff. I guess you know all about neck and bridge pickups etc. But bridge are trebly (solos) neck pickups are bassy (rhythm). Single coils are generally better for cleans, but i suppose its down to preference.

Yeah, I did mean on my guitar. Noob question, I know, but it has no scale labeled on it, and I didn't want somebody to say something like "Use a high tone" then I'm using a low one because I didn't know which way around it goes.
It actually goes the same direction as the volume knob. Silly me.

Thanks alot for all the replies so far.