I have now played for almost a year, and as I get more into technical stuff I find out alot of stuff. Light touch on strings, better placing of thumbs and fingers. I figured this out a half year ago, but one thing that still annoys me is my grab on the pick.
I basically use the flat part of my thumb, and the side of my index.
Angled 45 degrees, and it's like the index can only make the pick loose.
I tried picking like "normally" and tried some different instructions for doing so for a week, and it does nothing but feel awkardly unnatural, and it makes my pick fall out of my hand.

I once had it hurt my index, wich seems really strange, seeing as I almost don't press down on it.

Dear fellow guitar freaks, what the hell do I need to do?! xD
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
You should find a comfortable way to pick and go with it. I dont hold the pick the way I should or the "Normal" way but I do it because thats my thing and I a comfortable with it.
Kinda like sexuality if you think about it
you need to get your own feel for it.
if you can pick better holding the pick your own way than if you held it the "correct" way, then hold it your own way man.
yea Fight the Foo! is correct. whatever works for u man. my guitar teacher always says i hold my pick wrong but it never gives me problems no matter what i play.
Quote by metal_dan
you need to get your own feel for it.
if you can pick better holding the pick your own way than if you held it the "correct" way, then hold it your own way man.

Yup, only problem is, I don't feel comfortable anyway really. Guess I'll just go with this way then :p

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
hmmm... i used to keep dropping my picks but its sorta just stopped happening. You aren't SUPPOSED to have a grip of iron when holding the pick. Having a strong grip means more tension and TENSION IS BAD. Oh yeah make sure your finger and thumb aren't too bent. I have seen loads of people do that. Gives them more force but they can't play fast enough.

Oh yeah you hold the pick like me =). remember practice makes perfect.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

you dont even need to use a plectrum. can use a coin, a spoon, or even a dildo if you like, whatever feels comfortable
Quote by YngwieJnr
hmmm... i used to keep dropping my picks but its sorta just stopped happening. You aren't SUPPOSED to have a grip of iron when holding the pick. Having a strong grip means more tension and TENSION IS BAD. Oh yeah make sure your finger and thumb aren't too bent. I have seen loads of people do that. Gives them more force but they can't play fast enough.

Oh yeah you hold the pick like me =). remember practice makes perfect.

I started out with lots of tension and three fingers, I now nearly have no tension, but just enough to not let i tgo. Thumb is not bent at all, and finger can't be more straight.

I tried using a coin, didn't work very well . I might try the dildo sometime

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
*bump* Is the pick supposed to move, in your hand. Like when you hit a string, the pick moves in the finger, not sideways, but forth and back?
I use 2.00 mm, so it has nothing to do with thickness.

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black