I'm looking at this guitar and it says it has rail single-coil pickups, are they the same thing as single-coils?
Yup they are regular singlecoils, probably a bit more powerful though and noiseless.
A "rail" pickup refers to a particular type of stacked humbucker - a humbucker but in single-coil pickup size - that has two magnetic "blades" or "rails" running its length rather than individual pole pieces. DiMarzio Chopper and Seymour Duncan Hot Rails are two good examples of this. A "mini-humbucker" isn't actually a single coil sized humbucker; it's a small humbucker found on a lot of vintage blues or jazz-oriented guitars.
Hi, I'm Peter
Aside from the different appearance, why would someone go with a rail-style pickup? What are the traits associated with rails?
Quote by Steve BP
Aside from the different appearance, why would someone go with a rail-style pickup? What are the traits associated with rails?

I think it has the size and sound of a single coil w/o the hum. My question is will a regular single coil fit in its place?
Last edited by Anonymouslyours at Feb 21, 2008,
^ Yes.
Quote by Steve BP

They're quiet in all positions, unlike single coils, and they usually have higher output. They're good for people who want higher output but don't want to significantly cosmetically (or in some cases, structurally) modify their guitar by installing full-size humbuckers.
Hi, I'm Peter
Check some of my threads for a look at a Quad Rail, they are pretty immense. Because of their high output, tonaly they struggle clean, but Overdriven or Distorted OMG they are viscious
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S