I recently purchased an Alvarez FD60 acoustic electric. I got a great deal on it and I really love the sound. The only problem is that I ordered offline and the one I played in store seemed a lot easier to play. I am still new to playing so maybe it was a misconception on my part. My question is whether putting ultra light guage strings is going to have a detrimental effect on the sound of the guitar? I am used to playing with light or ultra-lights on my les paul. Do I just need to give myself some time to get to used to playing an acoustic?
Thanks,
Nick
since it is acoustic, you shouldn't go all the way down to ultra light 8's because they'll snap right off there, pluis they only make them in electric strings which sound bad on an acoustic.

I recomend GHS white bronze strings, very affordable and also are quite malleable so they are easy to play, I think the lightest they make are 10s or 11s, i'm not sure, but they are designed with the electic player in mind!

Good on ya for picking an Alvarez, damn fine aren't they?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I wouldn't ever use anything lighter than 11. And as acoustic beginner, dont use anything lighter than 12's for a while. You need the finger strength. Electric guitar players need a lot less strength than acoustic players.

as for the sound, lighter means less bass and less volume... generally anyway. if you switch from the standard strings(12's) to 10's your guitar may need readjustment because the tension would be less.
I used 10's for a while because the action on my first acoustic was really high. It did help. Try taking your guitar into the shop and seeing if they can adjust it for you, if they can lower the action that will help make it easier to play.
Ya it is probably just a case of me being so used to playing electric that I don't like it right now. I am sure after a couple weeks of playing on it more frequently I will get used to it.
~Nick
Quote by ccrnnr9
I recently purchased an Alvarez FD60 acoustic electric. I got a great deal on it and I really love the sound. The only problem is that I ordered offline and the one I played in store seemed a lot easier to play. I am still new to playing so maybe it was a misconception on my part. My question is whether putting ultra light guage strings is going to have a detrimental effect on the sound of the guitar? I am used to playing with light or ultra-lights on my les paul. Do I just need to give myself some time to get to used to playing an acoustic?
Thanks,
Nick

You just described the downside of ordering unseen. Sure, you save a couple of bucks, but a reputable store sets up their higher end guitars so they don't need an additional set-up for $ 50, plus, you know exactly what you are getting.
Either the strings on the store guitar were lighter (or better) and/ or it was set up giving lower action thus more ease of playing. Wouldn't hurt to slap a new set of strings on yours and see if you need a set up.