i am confused, if i understand right it's a type of bridge. what i don't understand is, do i have to modify it to get the Floyd Rose sound?
this

or this

the "sound of a floyd rose" is the whammy bar, the strings are just locked down so they don't go out of tune from excessive wanking
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
ok gotchya. my ibanez rg370 came with a floyd rose and no whammy bar. do they need to be adjusted or are they just there to lock the strings down?
Yea, Floyd Rose is a tremlo bridge, it's a specific (high quality) brand
however, a lot of tremlo (whammy) bridges are incorrectly referred to as Floyd Rose...
kinda like Band-Aids...
not all adhesive strips are Band-Aids, but that's what people call them.
Quote by reeseh
do they need to be adjusted or are they just there to lock the strings down?

the whammy bar?
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
I'll just give you a full run down of the whole system, hopefully it answers you questions.
The floyd rose is a full floating trem. The only point of contact it has with the body is the two pivot points. The way it stays put is by the balancing of string tension, and spring tension. Look under the back cover plate, you'll see springs. Every time you change string gauges, get you truss rod adjusted, or change tunings, these will need to be adjusted. Adjusting these will keep the bridge at a right level with the body. You will quickly learn that is a sort of art form to get the balance right on the first few tries.

Now, once everything is all in balance, the lockers come into place. Up at the headstock you'll see blocks and hex bolts. Tighten them down. Your tuners are now rendered useless. Now at the body, those the hex bolt running parallel to the body are the lockers for the bridge. When restring, you cut the ball ends off, slip the string into the holes from the top down and tighten these.

Once your bridge is in tune, and locked down, adjust the tunning with the fine tuners. Buy a whammy bar screw it in and divebomb away. You are probably thinking "OMG floyds are a bitch lolz." THEY ARE. Take your time, think about how it works and you'll be fine.
where are the fine tuners located?

the whammy bar?

no, mine doesn't have one
Rather than asking random, confusing questions about the subject that are gradually filling in tiny patches of knowledge why not just do some research of your own, it'll be far less painful and a lot more constructive...

...here, I'll even start you off

http://www.google.com/search?q=floyd+rose&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Rather than asking random, confusing questions about the subject that are gradually filling in tiny patches of knowledge why not just do some research of your own, it'll be far less painful and a lot more constructive...

http://www.google.com/search?q=floyd+rose&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

i'll make sure my questions don't send your mind into a whirlpool of confusion next time i post
Quote by steven seagull

+1 you'll get clearer/more concise info then here and a lot of easy2understand "How To" pages. happy searching.
Quote by Boss61607

not all adhesive strips are Band-Aids, but that's what people call them.
psst...what do they expect us to call them...adhesive strips?
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination