another fret buzz thread: new fender am std strat freshly arrived from an online store, fret buzz hearable for example when playing an A powerchord at the 5th fret but also at some other points. i havent set anything yet, this is straight-out-of-the-box.
i thought i can try to adjust it myself instead of paying someone. do you think its the trus rod? cause the action is not so low (Im not an expert but i would say its mid-height). shall i try to adjust the trus rod myself and what can I do wrong? note: the guitar was tuned before shipping, is it possible that the neck was under tension so it curved a bit and needs readjustment? and should I loose the strings before trying to fix the trus rod or to do it with strings in tune? Im so worried please help thanks!
Thanks. But now im even more worried after reading the truss rod part ) And it doesnt says should it be adjusted with strings tuned or not. plz pray for me to solve this
first, measure the distance between the top of the 12th fret, and the bottom both high and low E strings. (two measurements)

then, fret both the 1st fret, and the last (21, 22, 24, etc) at once. then measure the distance between the 8th fret and the bottom of both high and low E strings. (another two measurements)

then post again. lets go from there.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by antitalent
Thanks. But now im even more worried after reading the truss rod part ) And it doesnt says should it be adjusted with strings tuned or not. plz pray for me to solve this

Haha. If you think it may be the truss rod then I strongly suggest that you take it to professionals who know exactly what they are doing. Adjusting the truss rod is usually a big job and your guitar could end up completely ruined if you do it wrong. Take it to professionals .
Truss rod adjustment is nothing hard if you go slowly. nothing for the professionals. its only hard for people who has no patience at all.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
Truss rod adjustment is nothing hard if you go slowly. nothing for the professionals. its only hard for people who has no patience at all.

Maybe but is it worth the risk in the end? No. Its much wiser to spend a bit of money then wrecking a Fender Strat.
it's pretty hard to wreck a guitar with the truss rod. u need to spin the rod two full turns ti actually let the guitar warp.

and you'll notice some change in the counter force before you reach the second full turn.

have you wrecked ur strat? i've adjusted more than enough truss rods, and it doesn't seem to break. i'll notice some buzz before the neck warps into unfixable.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
it's pretty hard to wreck a guitar with the truss rod. u need to spin the rod two full turns ti actually let the guitar warp.

and you'll notice some change in the counter force before you reach the second full turn.

have you wrecked ur strat? i've adjusted more than enough truss rods, and it doesn't seem to break. i'll notice some buzz before the neck warps into unfixable.

I respect your view, its up to him in the end anyway.
yea. but im saying adjusting the truss rod is nothing close to discharging a bomb.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
yea. but im saying adjusting the truss rod is nothing close to discharging a bomb.

I know. But if this guy has never changed a truss rod then it could end up bad. Anyway we might aswell leave it at this, no point expressing opinions for years over something we have no command over. Nice speaking to you.
I went to some guy, he was setting the neck, the intonation etc. I asked him to set the action as low as possible, he did and there's still some buzz at some points. he said it doesnt matter because the buzz is hearable only when you play the guitar unplugged. its not hearable at all on the amplifier. is he right?
buzz not heard thru the amp is not generally considered a problem.

always adjust action at the bridge.
some strings can be lower than others. the thicker strings usually buzz more, so keep those a tad higher. (tiny allen wrench on the pegs on the front faces of the saddles)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by ECistheBest

I agree fully! Just stop if you get buzzing. Some minor/slight adjustments won't ruin your guitar, and its' better to get use to adjusting your guitar yourself, costs less money.
Just shipped straight out the box? How bout you let the guitar sit a day or to so it acclimates to your house temperature?

Truss rod isnt that huge of a deal. I was in the same position about 2 weeks ago. I took my Strat to a "pro" in a shop, and he ended up making the problem worse. He crancked my rod and totally straighted my neck, even though the Fender manual clearly states that there should be a bit of a concave bow.

I went back home and SLOWLY adjust the rod myself, then adjusted the bridge action for 2 strings. Wasnt hard at all. It was only scary cause of all the scary warnings.

Read up (forums or manuals). Take your time. Make SMALL adjusments.

My buzz is gone and my Strat plays/sounds great. And, I learned how to do it myself to boot!
It did sit for a few days before I brought it to the guy who was "fixing" it. He is a famous musician here, but after what i saw Im not sure if he is really good at setting up instruments, I havent had a chance to compare with others, just went straight to him after friend's recommendation.

He works in his basement, it was like a medieval dungeon from the times of the inquisition, dirty, terrible with all kinds of "torture" devices around, and the roof seemed that it will fall soon. Fortunatelly I didnt have to leave the guitar there, he was setting it in front of me, otherwise maybe he would cut it in half with a saw. He was explaining me about the neck curvature and the fret buzz and he would depress the neck by hand like "do you hear the buzz now? and now?".
He had to lay the guitar on his dirty work table to fix the intonation, and as there was no enough space, the neck had to go through the bench clamp. I thought now he will fasten it until the neck goes (((cRacK!))).

Horrible experience (esspecially after saving money for months and paying gargantuan amounts for import taxes). I beleive I lost few pounds

I suppose I should have tried to carefully set it myself, instead of going through this and risking damage. Friend's recommendations? nevermore