Im in a band and i play guitar. The other guitarist is badass as a person, but he really lacks skill. We're trying to form a metal band and he can't even tremolo pick different notes and he doesn't understand the concept of 3/4 and 4/4 because he wasn't in any band classes...so its really difficult to work with him. I would find another guitarist, but i live in a very small town and everyone else I've heard is even worse.

I really dont know how to go about this...maybe i should suggest he get lessons, but thats kind of a way of saying he sucks haha

any suggestions?
Give him lessons yourself.

Edit: Have him mess around one day while you listen. He may have some kind of unique sound that you can help him develop while he works on his fundamentals.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Its depends how serious you and the band are.. If your willing to wait maybe you can sorta teach him if he won't get lessons. But then again that could just be a waste of time.
Are you totally sure there is no-one else?
You should definitely try and teach him some stuff yourself. Then if that doesn't seem to be helping him much, try suggesting that he takes some lessons.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
Make him play drums instead..

If he can't understand time signatures? Because that makes sense.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
If he can't understand time signatures? Because that makes sense.

+355684765

tell him to get lessons and tell him it'll really improve his technique.
The best way is to teach him. Even if it takes time out of your schedule, its better to have a decent guitarist then none.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
If everyone else in town is worse then no one will notice.
Feed your mind.
yah the "notes" he uses are badass but as far as rhythm.....its another story haha

and yah i think im gonna have to give him some exercises so he can work on em...

im serious when i say there's no one else haha unless i drive 45 minutes....which would suck
I had the same situation once. I was trying to play with a guitarist who was... well musically retarded. I mean, he was able to play licks and riffs, but he didn't know the theory. When I was like: "let's try something in G or let's play minor A, major F and G, he was: "wtf, dude, I don't know what you mean, show me the frets!". Even though he was a good fella and I really liked jamming with a drummer (who was a friend of that guitarist), I gave up playing with them after few "sessions" : /
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
Quote by Firebread
If everyone else in town is worse then no one will notice.

-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Teach him a bit yourself, have the entire band practice with a metronome, and suggest lessons anyway.
Who dat?
I have a bassist who's similar. He's advanced technique wise but cannot read sheet music OR tab and tries his hardest to convince me to just give him root notes of each chord - I refuse =P.
as far as technique, im gonna go ahead and print out some exercises so i can go through it with him tomorrow......as far as him understanding time sigs and the way music blends im not sure yet
Quote by profmcnasty
as far as technique, im gonna go ahead and print out some exercises so i can go through it with him tomorrow......as far as him understanding time sigs and the way music blends im not sure yet

Pick out a song with an easy, slow 4/4 time and have him tap his foot in time for the whole song. Then pick one faster with the same time, then jump up timings. I say 4/4 cause when I took band that was the "base" time they had us start with, and it gives a point of reference to other timings.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H