Page 1 of 2
Has anyone else felt that they have sold out to some degree considering their early stuff with big crunchy guitars and such to the now to the extremely poppy sound of what they are now. I think they've clearly fallen back on lyrics and minimal instrumentation. Thoughts?
Quote by webbtje
Nickelback selling out is like water getting wetter.

+1
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Quote by webbtje
Nickelback selling out is like water getting wetter.

So true.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
I'm confused as to what their latest stuff actually is. I had Silver Side Up like 2 years ago but like a month ago, Rockstar appeared on 'Kerrang!' every 5 minutes and there were adverts talking about it as their 'brand new album'.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
when were they ever "in stock"

i fail
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
Who cares their not that great anyways. They copy all the titles of their songs from Def Lepard anyways
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
Quote by TechnoViking
Has anyone else felt that they have sold out to some degree considering their early stuff with big crunchy guitars and such to the now to the extremely poppy sound of what they are now. I think they've clearly fallen back on lyrics and minimal instrumentation. Thoughts?

their guitar sounds have actually gotten a lot better, they're a lot "fuller" sounding and heavier than they used to be.

for everybody who thinks Nickelback sucks and that nobody should like them, do you like Dime or Vinnie Paul or Billy Gibbons?

Dimebag was a Nickelback fan, just read around and you'll find it.

during a conversation, Vinnie Paul asked Chad to write a song for Dime, and even wanted to play drums on the track but he liked Daniel Adair's take so much that he didn't want to change a thing.

and lastly, Billy Gibbons played a solo on their latest album, on the song "Follow You Home"

to get recognition like this from guys like that, i think they're doing something right.
in their last 2 albums they seem to have started a "formula" that i don't really agree with.
and yes, their singles do get way too overplayed
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Last edited by cerveza at Feb 21, 2008,
Quote by Havok19
when were they ever "in stock"

i fail

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

least you have the guts to admit it :P

i think they're good it's just the fact that like everyone else ever (i reckon anyway) i'm starting to think rockstar's waay too overplayed though :@
Quote by cerveza
for everybody who thinks Nickelback sucks and that nobody should like them, do you like Dime or Vinnie Paul or Billy Gibbons?

Dimebag was a Nickelback fan, just read around and you'll find it.

Wow, three incredibly over-rated people.

Jeez, I still think they sucked from day 1, and no celebrity endorsement is gonna make me like a band. Stevie Wonder was a fan of Blue.

James Murphy plays Schecter. I still hate Schecters.

Nicholas Cage is in those Ben Whatsisname adventure films. They're fucking awful, despite the calibre of the main role.
Quote by webbtje
Wow, three incredibly over-rated people.

Jeez, I still think they sucked from day 1, and no celebrity endorsement is gonna make me like a band. Stevie Wonder was a fan of Blue.

i'm not saying that everyone should like them, i'm saying that people should be able to respect them and what they've done. they've got what? 3 or 4 platinum records?

i'm not a Slayer fan, i actually can't stand them, but i know that Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman are both great guitarists and i respect what they've been able to do for themselves

Quote by cerveza
i'm not saying that everyone should like them, i'm saying that people should be able to respect them and what they've done. they've got what? 3 or 4 platinum records?

So has Avril Lavigne.

Commercial success is not the sign of a good band.

I can't respect them, because behind all their songs, I can hear Chad Kroeger going "will this get us on the radio?"
Quote by webbtje
So has Avril Lavigne.

i guarantee you would think differently if you saw them play live, it's an amazing show

Quote by red157

Feck off.

from a guy with a Jack Black avatar, i think you've embarassed yourself enough.

Quote by cerveza

I think for a guy who's defending Nickelback, you've also embarrassed yourself enough.

Let's not descend into flaming, boys.
Quote by webbtje
I can't respect them, because behind all their songs, I can hear Chad Kroeger going "will this get us on the radio?"

sure that's what their singles may sound like, a lot of which i don't even like all that much. i hate the songs Someday, Far Away, and If Everyone Cared, i like the more rock songs: Side of a Bullet (for Dime) Because of You, Follow You Home, Animals, Flat on the Floor, Figured You Out and basically all the other ones that weren't singles. the singles get too much air play and people get sick of them, fast.

Quote by cerveza

Jack Black has approximately 6 billion times the amount of credibility than Nickleback does.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by rich_sg
Jack Black has approximately 6 billion times the amount of credibility than Nickleback does.

hey man, everybody wishes they could get paid what he does to have a seizure in front of the camera, i know i do

Some of you guys should really look at some of their albums. I've heard a good amount of stuff from their newest album and sure, it has some really annoying songs on it but it also has some decent stuff. Their singles are ridiculously overplayed and are often picked by the label to be released as singles, because it will get on the radio. I'm sure Nickelback have intended some of their songs to be popular, but what's wrong with that? They want to see people at their shows bellowing their own songs right back at them, and that must be a fantastic feeling.

All the power to them.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
Some of you guys should really look at some of their albums. I've heard a good amount of stuff from their newest album and sure, it has some really annoying songs on it but it also has some decent stuff. Their singles are ridiculously overplayed and are often picked by the label to be released as singles, because it will get on the radio. I'm sure Nickelback have intended some of their songs to be popular, but what's wrong with that? They want to see people at their shows bellowing their own songs right back at them, and that must be a fantastic feeling.

All the power to them.

As would the steaming dump you could take on their album and make it 1% better in the process.

Seriously since when has aural prostitution been acceptable on a credible level?
Quote by duncang

All the power to them.

holy f*ck i thought i was the only one, sweet

Quote by EvilWeevil
As would the steaming dump you could take on their album and make it 1% better in the process.

Seriously since when has aural prostitution been acceptable on a credible level?

Aural prostitution?

Come on, if all Nickelback cared about when writing their music was mainstream success, they would be writing different songs. Hell, they probably wouldn't be writing them themselves! Have you ever perhaps paused to think that they do write from the heart, and that what comes from their hearts is music that connects with loads of people!?

It's a crazy thought, isn't it?
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by EvilWeevil

right back at ya, all you've said is that you want to take a sh*t on a CD

Quote by duncang
Aural prostitution?

Come on, if all Nickelback cared about when writing their music was mainstream success, they would be writing different songs. Hell, they probably wouldn't be writing them themselves! Have you ever perhaps paused to think that they do write from the heart, and that what comes from their hearts is music that connects with loads of people!?

It's a crazy thought, isn't it?

crazy thought, but it's not what they feed you when you jump on the bandwagon, you would have to think for yourself instead of regurgitating what everyone else says.

Quote by duncang

All the power to them.

I completely agree with you!
Great post...duncang.
Quote by webbtje
So has Avril Lavigne.

i partly agree. alot of bands today are only popular cuz they look good or they had a good fan base when they were posting their crap on myspace. i respect nickelback, though. if u have billy gibbons or dimebag darrell playing in ur songs, u shudnt really suck. besides, compared to some of the pop bands out there (alicia keys, timberlake...) nickelback is god.
Quote by metalhead135
i partly agree. alot of bands today are only popular cuz they look good or they had a good fan base when they were posting their crap on myspace. i respect nickelback, though. if u have billy gibbons or dimebag darrell playing in ur songs, u shudnt really suck. besides, compared to some of the pop bands out there (alicia keys, timberlake...) nickelback is god.

Both artist not bands. Not to mention Alicia Keys is a highly respectable pop artist. Having Dimebag or Nickelback play with you shouldn't have anything thing to with if you "suck" or not...
Quote by metalhead135

You used two terrible examples of 'pop bands'. Neither are bands and both are exceptionally talented.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by Love_Buzz
Both artist not bands. Not to mention Alicia Keys is a highly respectable pop artist. Having Dimebag or Nickelback play with you shouldn't have anything thing to with if you "suck" or not...

well, they are Nickelback.
and yeah, i'd say if Dime plays on your record, you've got something going for you.
(although Dime didn't technically play on the song, Chad and Vinnie took clips of unused solos Dime had done and pro-tooled it together, but vinnie was totally on board)

Quote by duncang
You used two terrible examples of 'pop bands'. Neither are bands and both are exceptionally talented.

yeah, you really did, you could have said, oh i don't know... BRITTANY SPEARS!!! or any other one-hit-wonder rapper out there
i don't think he really means 'bands' though, i think he was referring to artists who really have little to no talent and are only famous due to Pro Tools and vocal enhancers.

Quote by cerveza
yeah, you really did, you could have said, oh i don't know... BRITTANY SPEARS!!! or any other one-hit-wonder rapper out there
i don't think he really means 'bands' though, i think he was referring to artists who really have little to no talent and are only famous due to Pro Tools and vocal enhancers.

Britney Spears is hardly the best example either, she's got a good set of pipes on her.

Well, she may not anymore, I dunno.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
i dont really care if they did or not...its not the end of the world if they do...and nickelback is one word
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

they had one " ok" song which got bad after a few listens and considering that most critics hate them, i gotta say i hate them

aslo the song rockstar sounds like plea for help
Quote by wtf290
When I saw the title I immediately assumed it was another person coming to the Pit for medical advice - and then I pictured someone bleeding from the eye and typing like the wind. "RESPOND, DAMMIT! I THINK I'M LOSING CONSCIOUSNESS!"
Page 1 of 2