hey guys.... i might be buying an acoustic guitar its second hand and has a 6 cm long crack/chip... its on ebay.. they say it can be sanded down and is minor.

Is it easy to do? is it worth it, and would it affect the sound of the guitar? thanks
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
i would never trust people over the internet. why not just go to your local guitar shop and try out a guitar first hand?
seriously

try SAMASH "THE MUSICAL INSTRUMENT MEGASTORE!"

samash.com

or samashmusic.com to find a store location near you
i live in australia
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Quote by gface
i live in australia

We have...
*Allans Music
*Billy Hyde Music
*Guitar Brothers
*Ellaways
*Musicians Pro Shop
*Guitar Centre
*Guitar Shop (Paddington)
*MANY other smaller stores

...all within bus distance of the city. Do some actual looking next time.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
the guitar i might be getting is woth $800 and im getting it for $330..... I just need an acoustic to practice... Dont be so rude

edit: read the topic and answer ... how hard can that be?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Line 6 Toneport
Digitech GNX4
Last edited by gface at Feb 21, 2008,
Quote by gface
the guitar i might be getting is woth $800 and im getting it for $330..... I just need an acoustic to practice... Dont be so rude

edit: read the topic and answer ... how hard can that be?

Well how are we supposed to know how bad the crack is, or if you have any sort of technical proficiency to fix it? Chances are, you're not a trained luthier and you don't have access to all the tools you need to fix the crack.

If the guitar has a crack, I'd be expecting to pay a LOT less than $330. I picked up a perfect condition Schecter 006 Deluxe for $280 with a hardcase, when RRP is $600.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
What guitar is it? Where is the crack? Pics?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
I'd say even if the crack looks minor, don't buy the guitar...
My suggestion is go to a guitar shop and play the cheaper accoustics. Like 50 of the same model. I did this for both my acoustics, the idea is that possibly after a while you will find an amazing guitar, great sustain, etc. It sounds unlikely, but I've got an 3/4 scale Ibanez "daytripper" acoustic that sounds a lot like my froend's martin. Not bad for a 22'' scale guitar.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
even if it is a minor crack, it means that the guitar has been kept in poor conditions, probably too dry, and if thats the case, then it could get worse after you buy it, and the neck is probably slightly warped
dont buy it. acoustic guitar wood is all that it has for tone, if its cracked, in any way, it will interfere with the grain, which will interfere with the vibrations of the strings passing through the body. its really not worth it, if you want soemthing to practice on, get something cheap thats not laminate. look for a cheap somethign or another with a spruce top and rosewood sides or something.