Hi guys, i'm a noob. I started playing classic guitar a few weeks ago and im in love with it. I wanna buy a electric guitar so I can hav eskills in both of them. where online can i buy electric guitar for about 200 plus an amp? and should i start practicing more picking techniques? because i rarely use pics, usually just fingers.
check musiciansfriend.com

squire makes good starter guitar packages, and the guitars are easily modded later on when you get better and more into it
ye dont gotta use picks

just when you wanna start playing really fast and make the notes sound sharper
guitarcenter.com
or
musiciansfriend.com

you can get a crappy squire strat or epiphone sg at that price, or get a slightly less crapy cooler looking ibanezs rg (all w/t amp) for round that price.... i like the ibanez better
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
wow, thanks for the super fast replies. I will give those a try. and i am trying my best to use picks right now but its still a little weird compared to fingerpicking.
I got Ibanez S470 with hard case on eBay for 240$. Buy used if you want better gear, buy new starter packs if you want new equipment.
I;d go for a Squier if you don't trust eBay. They make quite good lower price range stuff. And you can buy better pick ups if you get into it. Other brands like Stagg put crappy hardware in their guitars so you can't well upgrade them.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by Simonwalker
I;d go for a Squier if you don't trust eBay. They make quite good lower price range stuff. And you can buy better pick ups if you get into it. Other brands like Stagg put crappy hardware in their guitars so you can't well upgrade them.

do you like your epi lp junior?
I do but i bought it cuz i did not have enough for a squier. The Junior cost in conversion to USD $230. My country isn't very good for guitars...
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Pawn shop
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Maybe check the gear for sale threads here on UG?

*taps the microphone*

*is this thing on?*

*test*
Any place that sells mainly used gear. Is a lot better than ebay as you know what you are getting, and unlike pawnshops the guitars are set up and ready to play.
Although it's more of a personal preference, I always suggest trying a guitar before buying. Guitars are all built differently regardless of price point, and it's going to be an entirely different feel from your classical. You'll want to be sure to get something that feels comfortable to you.

Are there no stores in or near your area?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Hakael
Although it's more of a personal preference, I always suggest trying a guitar before buying. Guitars are all built differently regardless of price point, and it's going to be an entirely different feel from your classical. You'll want to be sure to get something that feels comfortable to you.

some people are either to lazy to go to the shop or they suffer from low self esteem and can't leave the house. this is why the internet is so cool, we can shop while we sit in our room naked having a wank
Quote by Hakael

I am glad you asked this. I am also in IL. northwestern suburbs of chicago by 6-flags. do you know any places I can go to buy a guitar? I agree with you, I'd rather get the feel for a guitar before buying it.
That's a bit north of where I am... but from just a quick search, there's a Guitar Center in Highland Park, about a half hour south of you.

143 South Skokie Valley Road
Highland Park, Illinois 60035

I would highly suggest taking someone with you that knows a bit about guitars too. A second pair of eyes is always helpful when it comes to picking up problems, or explaining different things you might have questions about.

I'll look for other places as well. That was just a quick search.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
There is a SamAsh in Buffalo Grove as well. I am sure there are some other shops up your way. Take a bud and go check out some guitars. These places will make deals. The micro cube amp sells for about 125, it's a decent for starting off. There are good starter guitars that you can get for around 100-150. Find one you like that feels right to you. Good luck.
^

+1

I was actually at that Sam Ash earlier today. Picked up a tube of Big Bends Nut Sauce and a Vox Amplug.

They have some nice stuff there. Mainly PRS, Epiphone, Gretsch, ESP, and Fenders. I saw some G&L I think, as well as a few Parkers. Lots of expensive stuff though. Brownsville guitars make up their lesser expensive models, not including their used stock.

Still working on creating a decent relationship with some of the employees though. I frequent GC more because of my contacts there.
Quote by Hakael
That's a bit north of where I am... but from just a quick search, there's a Guitar Center in Highland Park, about a half hour south of you.

143 South Skokie Valley Road
Highland Park, Illinois 60035

I would highly suggest taking someone with you that knows a bit about guitars too. A second pair of eyes is always helpful when it comes to picking up problems, or explaining different things you might have questions about.

I'll look for other places as well. That was just a quick search.

nice, I will consider this.
another thing though, I have no idea what makes a good and bad guitar and I only got one friend who plays guitar and he's also been playing for a month at most..... can anyone reccomend what brands I need to stay away from and which ones are better? granted, 200-300 dollars isnt gonna give you a GREAT guitar but relatively speaking.
If you don't have an amp to play through yet, the Roland Microcube is probably one of the better practice amps and one of the more recommended practice amps here. Approx. $125. Others to consider would be Peavey Transtube amps, or the Vox (can't remember the model, but it's similar to the Roland Microcube).

Guitar-wise, Squire Standards (just go over it really well). Yamaha Pacificas are also good starter guitars.

Keep in mind, you may be able to haggle a little bit especially since you may be shopping for both amp and guitar. They're likely to cut you a decent deal at GC, shaving off a small bit from either or both. Quite possibly giving you a few extras as well if you're dealing skills are decent.
Thanks for the reccomendations Hakael. I am so excited to get an electric guitar.
Quote by seizetheday1103
yea, ebay or a pawn shop. sure theyll be used , but if u want sumthing decent for cheap thats wat u gotta do.

or u can get sumthing like this

or this

those r a couple of the best super cheap guitars, IMO at least

wow, that vendetta one looks great and only 219 dollars. do you think there's any chance the guitar shop in IL will have this thing? I'd love to hold it first before I buy one.