i have a Marshall G215RCD in the bedroom (since i cant get a half-stack in this apt.) and its decent enuff to fool around with.
ive seen lots of posts on here dismissing the mg as not even worthy of mentioning here on this site. why? is it that bad? all i know is it beats the hell out of every crate i ever owned, and for the few bucks i paid for it, i like-ee. any amp that sounds decent enuff to impress my non-playing friends to jaw-drop awe, and too strong to turn past half vol. indoors with that same or better sound, is ok by me.
now, i know you guys that gig your rigs have a few things to say about lil combos, but c'mon, leave the lil guys alone...

or am i missing something?
Attachments:
100_2130 (Custom).JPG
yeh,they sound pretty decent,but they dont sound "marshall",i guess thats what everyone was trying to say!
Unreliable. Lack tone. Bought by people who think they're buying a real Marshall. Lots of better amps in the range.

I bid you good day.
I have an MG100DFX myself. I suppose people compare its sound, tone etc.. to other amps e.g tubes etc. You don't get the same sound quality.
I bought mine for £100 though so I'm extremely happy seeing as I know someone who bought the MG10CD for £80.
It gets the sound I want so therefore I'm happy with it.
It depends on what you want out of an amp in the end I suppose.
Searchbar...

Overpriced,sterile sounding,weak effects, and the bigger ones are glorified practice amps.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Why?

It's AWFUL!

The sound it produces is an abomination to guitar amps. It can hold up less than an 98 year old woman and so on.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
because people keep making threads like this....oh, and because they sound wank.

*reported*
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Because when compared to a different, albeit more expensive usually, amp they really sounds bad. I know as i used one for the best part of a year because i couldn't get anything else.
Quote by 666_Pounder
Because when compared to a different, albeit more expensive usually, amp they really sounds bad. I know as i used one for the best part of a year because i couldn't get anything else.

same boat i was in when i bought it 9yrs ago.....maybe i'm just used to it--?
MGs are overpriced and sound really empty
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
they are terribly built... given they sound good for the price they are just unreliable... kinda like the line 6 spider III's
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
I'm afraid i must agree. The Mg series is not very good. Even my crappy Kustom sounded better than an MG we tried at the shop.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
i keep begging the wife to let me buy a Marshall half, but she wont budge. since i bought the Gibby LP Zebrawood, i'm really sh*t outta luck, lol....
if i unload the Gib, i might have a chance, we'll see....anyone interested??
Why? Mostly because of one word: Bandwagon. Now, they aren't very reliable in terms of survivability, which is true, but remember, tone is subjective and people who say the tone sucks is just their opinion, unless they are saying it on UG which about 95% of UGers bandwagon. Its sad, but true.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Last edited by SGStrummer61 at Feb 21, 2008,
The tone isn't as great as it could be. The effects aren't reall that great. That's probably why people do not like them.
I can't exactly say MG amps are THE most horrible on the market today. They are a bit overpriced due to the name and the price for what you get is one of the reasons people don't like em.

The one major reason though is the sound you get out of it. I had both my Crate GT65, a Marshall MG15DFX and an MG50DFX all in the same room and tried them out. I must say the small one WAS in fact alright for simple practise (for a beginner especially) but the bigger one sounded like crap. The Crate sounded better, even the guys who owned the MG's agreed.

They do have pretty nice built in effects to mess around with to get a feel for what kind of effects you might want to use but overall tone-wise which is the biggest factor these amps are no good. For their price you can get way better. Problem is people see the Marshall logo on it and think it's godly so they often get that over other amps of the same price-range.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by piefaceFX
you have a gibson lp and you have to play it on an MG? aha thats some bad luck lol

well, hey, you know, not made out of money, lol...
i'd rather sell the Gib and get a nice 1/2stack to play the Epi LP thru, and save up for a new Gib down the road...
but for now the MG works for my purposes, and it aint all that bad, considering....
when i'm in the bedroom with the headphones on (to keep my wife and 3yr old from going deaf/insane/to another state) it doesnt sound half bad at all, but i'll admit the 2 15" speakers it comes with arent the greatest sounding....
Kinda worried about what you mean by a different state....
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by primeguy31
well, hey, you know, not made out of money, lol...
i'd rather sell the Gib and get a nice 1/2stack to play the Epi LP thru, and save up for a new Gib down the road...
but for now the MG works for my purposes, and it aint all that bad, considering....
when i'm in the bedroom with the headphones on (to keep my wife and 3yr old from going deaf/insane/to another state) it doesnt sound half bad at all, but i'll admit the 2 15" speakers it comes with arent the greatest sounding....

Just get a combo. Half stacks are just an unwanted hassle. That way, you don't need to worry about moving around a big, bulky cabinet and such.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
dude the mgs arent that bad if you set them right...but im a shredder...so i dont try to set my amp to like...a crunchy heavy riffs setting...because i dont play that...i just keep it where it sounds good for instrumental soloing stuff...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by primeguy31
i have a Marshall G215RCD in the bedroom (since i cant get a half-stack in this apt.) and its decent enuff to fool around with.
ive seen lots of posts on here dismissing the mg as not even worthy of mentioning here on this site. why? is it that bad? all i know is it beats the hell out of every crate i ever owned, and for the few bucks i paid for it, i like-ee. any amp that sounds decent enuff to impress my non-playing friends to jaw-drop awe, and too strong to turn past half vol. indoors with that same or better sound, is ok by me.
now, i know you guys that gig your rigs have a few things to say about lil combos, but c'mon, leave the lil guys alone...

or am i missing something?

Thats why, you don't have any grasp on the concept of tone yet.
Quote by natel0083

edjue-ma-cate me, dude...
i need all the help i can get...
I tried cranking an MG to 10.... it shorted out at 4, ****!

Quote by natel0083

AMEN! Like all my friends who have MGs and think they are t3h br00talz. I'm like how the **** can you stand that distortion, it's thin as hell, and they're like "No it's not!"

Dumbasses. I guess it gets a lot of distortion.... ****ty asshole distortion.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Are there any ways to modify the MG to make it better? New speaker? Anything?
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
You are simply the greatest person ever to walk this great planet.
i have a mg100rcd and mostly got it cause i paid about 150 bucks for it (cabinet too) so i tweeked and tweeked for a loooooooong time and i am finally comfortable with it, it IS possible to get good tone from it but its work. also i recently put in KA distortion and KA ultra distortion p/u in my guitar and that made a huge difference. i can say i really do like my tone, cause when it comes to that your opinion = 0
main rig

*schecter C-1xxx w/kent armstrong distortion and ultra distortion p/u
crate palomino v16 (usa)
EH big muff (nyc)
EH small stone (russia)

SCHECTERS UNITE!
PalOmInOOO
Quote by slashVR
Are there any ways to modify the MG to make it better? New speaker? Anything?

Set it on fire. It's a good analogy actually, since MGs are what Hell sounds like.

But seriously, I don't know of any mods to make an MG better. Probably because it's not possible.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by primeguy31
edjue-ma-cate me, dude...
i need all the help i can get...

Well, I'm guessing you've only played solid state amps?
If so, if, and when, you make the transition to vacuum tube powered amplification you will see how much warmer, fuller, and less harsh they sound compared to amplifiers you may have played.
Quote by SGStrummer61
Why? Mostly because of one word: Bandwagon. Now, they aren't very reliable in terms of survivability, which is true, but remember, tone is subjective and people who say the tone sucks is just their opinion, unless they are saying it on UG which about 95% of UGers bandwagon. Its sad, but true.

bro comon...

they fail in comparison to anything in their price range. its just plain fact. they have super weak effects, and generally just dont sound good. It isnt such a small tonal difference that it can be subjective...this is pretty factual man...

pretty much anyone who defends MGs owns one and just doesnt want to admit they made a mistake.

sure they arent TERRIBLE, theyre perfectly fine if youre tone deaf or simply dont care, but why buy one when you can get something BETTER for the same, or a lower price.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels